Bob Diaco- DC Analysis

So now that it's official I did a little digging to figure out what we are working with in Bobby D. I have to be honest I was very whelmed by his hire, and the initial info on this board did nothing but support that sentiment. Below is the research I did to see how well his defense performed and how many high profile recruits he brought in each year. Please note that "high profile" means I only counted 4* and up, and I only attributed defensive recruits to him assuming that he was at-least involved in each players recruiting process. The numbers associated with these stats are national rankings for that season.

Also of note is that I have included the teams Time of Possession (TOP) for each season which serves as a leveler of sorts when looking at the defenses rankings. Obviously a team with a low TOP ranking will have their defensive stats suffer as a result of opponent offenses having more chances.

• 2009- Cincinnati - 67th in Total Defense, 44th in Scoring Defense, 120th in TOP - Two 4* Recruits
  • 2010- Notre Dame - 50th in Total Defense, 23rd in Scoring Defense, 105th in TOP - One 4* Recruit
  • 2011- Notre Dame - 30th in Total Defense, 24th in Scoring Defense, 59th in TOP - Two 5* Recruits, Four 4* Recruits
  • 2012- Notre Dame - 7th in Total Defense, 2nd in Scoring Defense, 23rd in TOP - Four 4* Recruits
  • 2013- Notre Dame - 31st in Total Defense, 27th in Scoring Defense, 84th in TOP - Two 5* Recruits, Four 4* Recruits
  • Fire 3

<p>

So now that it's official I did a little digging to figure out what we are working with in Bobby D. I have to be honest I was very whelmed by his hire, and the initial info on this board did nothing but support that sentiment. Below is the research I did to see how well his defense performed and how many high profile recruits he brought in each year. Please note that "high profile" means I only counted 4* and up, and I only attributed defensive recruits to him assuming that he was at-least involved in each players recruiting process. The numbers associated with these stats are national rankings for that season.

Also of note is that I have included the teams Time of Possession (TOP) for each season which serves as a leveler of sorts when looking at the defenses rankings. Obviously a team with a low TOP ranking will have their defensive stats suffer as a result of opponent offenses having more chances.

• 2009- Cincinnati - 67th in Total Defense, 44th in Scoring Defense, 120th in TOP - Two 4* Recruits
  • 2010- Notre Dame - 50th in Total Defense, 23rd in Scoring Defense, 105th in TOP - One 4* Recruit
  • 2011- Notre Dame - 30th in Total Defense, 24th in Scoring Defense, 59th in TOP - Two 5* Recruits, Four 4* Recruits
  • 2012- Notre Dame - 7th in Total Defense, 23rd in Scoring Defense, 23rd in TOP - Four 4* Recruits
  • 2013- Notre Dame - 31st in Total Defense, 27th in Scoring Defense, 84th in TOP - Two 5* Recruits, Four 4* Recruits

Ppg they were ranked 2nd in 2012

• 2012- Notre Dame - 7th in Total Defense, 2nd in Scoring Defense, 23rd in TOP - Four 4* Recruits

Serious question............it wasn't clear were you overwhelmed or underwhelmed by the hire

I was neither overwhelmed or underwhelmed. I was just whelmed.

Thanks.....not many people use the word "whelmed"........I thought you made a mistake but it was I that was mistaken. I've only seen the word used a handful of times. Take care

Technically speaking, "whelmed" is the root of overwhelmed, and has literally the same meaning. It's an archaic word from Medieval English. The word "under-whelmed". Is a relatively new word from about the 1950s.

TMI, I know.

FLHuskerGBR, on 15 Jan 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:snapback.png

LAblackshirt, on 15 Jan 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:snapback.png

I was neither overwhelmed or underwhelmed. I was just whelmed.

Thanks.....not many people use the word "whelmed"........I thought you made a mistake but it was I that was mistaken. I've only seen the word used a handful of times. Take care

Technically speaking, "whelmed" is the root of overwhelmed, and has literally the same meaning. It's an archaic word from Medieval English. The word "under-whelmed". Is a relatively new word from about the 1950s.

TMI, I know.

I'm surprised and impressed that Iowa produces such literate people. :lol:

The Lord’s Prayer and the Chicago Bears

John Cassis is one of our nation's finest motivational speakers.
He told a story recently about a time when he was serving as one of the Chaplin's for the Chicago Bears during their glory years of the 80's.
As John tells it, Mike Ditka was about to deliver a locker room pep talk one day. He looked up and saw defensive tackle William "Refrigerator " Perry.
How could he not see him? At 338 pounds the Fridge stood out even in a crowd of pro football players. Ditka gestured to the Fridge. "When I get finished," he said, "I'd like you to close with the Lord's Prayer. " Then the coach began his talk.
Meanwhile, Jim McMahon, the brash and outspoken quarterback, punched John Cassis. "Look at Perry, " McMahon whispered, "he doesn't know the Lord's Prayer.

Sure enough, Perry sat with a look of panic on his face, his head in his hands. He was sweating profusely. "Everybody knows the Lord's Prayer, " said Cassis to McMahon in disbelief. After a few minutes of watching the Refrigerator leaking several gallons
of sweat, McMahon nudged Cassis again. "I'll bet you 50 bucks Fridge doesn't know the Lord's Prayer. "

As Cassis tells the story, he stops to reflect on the absurdity of it all:
"Here we were sitting in chapel and betting 50 bucks on the Lord's Prayer."

When Coach Ditka finished his pep talk, he asked all the men to remove their caps. Then he nodded at Perry and bowed his head. It was quiet for a few moments before the Fridge spoke in a shaky voice,
"Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord, my soul to keep... "
Cassis felt the tap on his shoulder. It was Jim McMahon."Here's the 50 dollars," he whispered. "I had no idea Perry knew the Lord's Prayer. "
True Story.

Essentially I'm neither. I think he was probably one of the best options on the market for DC at this time. Poaching a high profile DC from another school takes time with a lower rate of success IMO. They typically get a counter offer and the process drags out. We needed a guy to hit the road immediately.

The jury will be out for a while with Diaco. All in all though it was a gutsy move by Reilly and I'm happy to see Banker get replaced. A 3-4 might also alleviate some of issues with our lack of true rush ends. Looks like he will be an upgrade as a recruiter over Banker as well. Hoping the next hire will be a stellar recruiter!

Essentially I'm neither. I think he was probably one of the best options on the market for DC at this time. Poaching a high profile DC from another school takes time with a lower rate of success IMO. They typically get a counter offer and the process drags out. We needed a guy to hit the road immediately.

The jury will be out for a while with Diaco. All in all though it was a gutsy move by Reilly and I'm happy to see Banker get replaced. A 3-4 might also alleviate some of issues with our lack of true rush ends. Looks like he will be an upgrade as a recruiter over Banker as well. Hoping the next hire will be a stellar recruiter!

Brandon made this move? biggrin1.gif

<p>

• 2012- Notre Dame - 7th in Total Defense, 23rd in Scoring Defense, 23rd in TOP - Four 4* Recruits

Ppg they were ranked 2nd in 2012

Considering all the number crunchers out there and all the stats that are kept so maticulously by the sports world and football in particular, it would seem like there would already be some very detailed data and 'factors' in place to determine things like this. These are excellent numbers in my view. I am wondering if adding some data on starting field position for the opponent's offense and average number of plays per opponent's possession, ending field position, number of first downs given up per possession, turnover margin, number of big plays yielded, etc could also be incorporated into a meaningful matrix to yield a 'defensive performance index' or something of the sort?

One might find that when taking into account the circumstances, some defensive success may be holding the opponent to just a field goal after taking the field to defend when they get to start in your own red zone. Points given up are an indicator over a long season but there ought be consensus that if you own team's offense is poor and turns the ball over too frequently or punts after a bunch of 3 and outs, the defense will not have a chance to produce superior gross numbers.

For example, I feel Nebraska's offense this year punted far too often after only a few plays and poor punts resulted in poor field position for our defense, putting us in a tough spot. Not defending Banker by this but am feeling that our defensive numbers might have been better had we had better offensive line push. Our pass rush was NOT good and we yielded too many big plays and gave up critical first downs when we managed to get our opponents in third and longs all too often. Admittedly there are so many factors that come into play but it would seem a system could be designed to look at down and distance, game circumstances, time of possession, whether ahead or behind, time remaining, etc etc etc.

Not being critical here - just asking if anyone is aware of any of this type of 'deep' statistical analysis being done and if not, why not? Seems quite logical to me.