2017 State of the Huskers - Quarterback

Mavric

I'm not anywhere near the vicinity of the Tanner Lee hype machine. Kid was a below average QB at a below average program. Let's hope that 1. the competition is honest, and 2. the legit best man starts, regardless if that's Lee or POB. I do, however, have a sneaking suspicion that it won't matter in 2018.

Does your analysis of Lee take into consideration that he played with a broken finger on his throwing hand in his second season and also missed time due to a concussion?

Yes.

Tough crowd.

Nice thing is, he's got a chance to change my mind.

If they are almost even they should play POB and give him experience and a possible four years. POB is a long term investment. Lee is not.

I disagree with this logic because, as we've seen for the last eight years now, four years of starting experience doesn't always mean much. The counter argument is Tanner has essentially two years of starting experience already under his belt, a luxury unknown to POB. This will probably have a big impact in the competition.

Of all the things to consider, whether or not POB can play for four years is irrelevant to me.

Agree. I'm not in favor of playing POB because he is the future. We need to get to the point where our QBs are in the system for at least a couple years then play for a couple years. I'm so tired of starting a Freshman and then having to watch the growing pains on the field hoping they improve.

I firmly believe that both QBs will get playing time next year. We have had some experience lately with QBs getting injured. I don't see that changing any time soon. Now, at least we hopefully will have a good backup to come in and play.

Now....through all of that, if POB decides to transfer, then that's his choice, I think this staff will continue being able to bring in a good QB each year to have the room well stocked.

• Fire 1

If Lee starts this year and POB doesn't get a considerable amount of playing time then he will jump ship at the end of next year. He isn't going to stick around to competing against Gebbia for second string. Just isn't going to happen. I Had some buddies who have mutual friends with POB and those friends told my buddies that POB was not happy at all when Lee came in as that was working against promises that were made to him by coaches. Coaches will need to decide this spring if The difference in talent between Lee and POB is so great with Lee that it is worth risking four potential years of POB possibly running the show. If they are almost even they should play POB and give him experience and a possible four years. POB is a long term investment. Lee is not.

Makes no sense.. Cause then you are basically saying when Gebbia gets here if his talent is Equal to that of POB or Lee start him and ruin the years you possibly get out of them.

If Lee is that good play him. If POB is that much better then Lee play him. If POB doesn't start and cant stand the competition let him transfer. Not saying that is how he will by no means but we need guys here who want to compete and get better.

• Fire 1

If Lee starts this year and POB doesn't get a considerable amount of playing time then he will jump ship at the end of next year. He isn't going to stick around to competing against Gebbia for second string. Just isn't going to happen. I Had some buddies who have mutual friends with POB and those friends told my buddies that POB was not happy at all when Lee came in as that was working against promises that were made to him by coaches. Coaches will need to decide this spring if The difference in talent between Lee and POB is so great with Lee that it is worth risking four potential years of POB possibly running the show. If they are almost even they should play POB and give him experience and a possible four years. POB is a long term investment. Lee is not.

I don't think there will be any decision this spring. I think the competition carries on into fall camp. One reason would to prevent a transfer and 2nd is to give both the opportunity to lead and compete over the summer.

The competition has already started, in the words of offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf. During the fall, Lee and O'Brien took some snaps during Sunday practices. The coach has already been evaluating them both on the field, in the film room and in most everything they do.

Husker fans should hope this competition runs hotter than a Saturday in mid-July, but as of right now, an educated guess would seem to have Lee as the favorite. He maybe didn't come from a Power-5 school, but those two years of college football experience from Tulane are handy. It's more than that, though.

Since Lee has arrived on campus, pretty much every review you hear of him from NU staffers is positive. He was an offensive scout-team MVP this fall. He's got a presence and work habits that have been said to quickly gain the respect of peers.

LJS

but somestimes Saturday's in July aren't all that hot......

Agree with the above sentiments. I think it's Lee's job to lose.

Lee wasn't brought here to not play. He was all but "promised" the gig, as long as all things are equal he will start.

If things are equal. Why wouldn't you play the younger guy?

Define equal.

Are we talking equal in physical talent??

Knowing the offense??

Commanding the show under pressure??

Leadership??

All the above??

Lee wasn't brought here to not play. He was all but "promised" the gig, as long as all things are equal he will start.

Define equal.

Knowing the offense??

Leadership??

All the above??

Practice grades. Each practice is charted and graded. It is why sometimes us fans get pissed that a certain player isn't playing but the coaches don't like the players practice grades.

Power T to answer your question, I don't know why, I just know what I was told. Maybe because Lee still has 2 years and not just one? Maybe it is what they told him to make sure he would sign with NU? That is what I would do as a coach. I would rather have the guy than not have him, so I would tell him he would be the starter.

• Fire 1

As long as you have to carry three or four quarterbacks, you will have a high school stud whose dream isn't turning out the way he planned.

That's almost the norm nowadays, though. QB attrition is higher now than it ever has been.

I'm sure a lot of it is from the parents who spend thousands of $ on getting their kid individual training in hopes for the kids to get a college scholarship, and then when he does get the college scholarship, nobody is happy with the prospect of sitting on the bench for a couple years.

• Fire 1

As long as you have to carry three or four quarterbacks, you will have a high school stud whose dream isn't turning out the way he planned.

That's almost the norm nowadays, though. QB attrition is higher now than it ever has been.

Do you have stats to prove this or are you just talking out of your ass?

Do you have stats to prove this or are you just talking out of your ass?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/impatience-leads-top-qbs-to-move-around-college-football-at-record-rate/

• Fire 1

Define equal.

Knowing the offense??

Leadership??

All the above??

Practice grades. Each practice is charted and graded. It is why sometimes us fans get pissed that a certain player isn't playing but the coaches don't like the players practice grades.

OK....Using that. If I were coach, I would still start Lee at the beginning of the year. He is the one with game experience at this level. I would try my best then to work POB into games. Once that happens, then you evaluate how each plays in games.

I am a firm believer that a kid needs to work his ass off and prove he deserves playing time in practice. There are exceptions. But, usually, if a kid can't prove he can play in practice, he isn't going to get it done on game day. HOWEVER, there are some kids who practice really well but melt under pressure during the game.

So, like I said, start Lee first game, then continue evaluating game day production as time goes on.