Adam Carriker on Unsportsmanlike Conduct

1972 Huskers......MG......Rich Glover........6'1-233

​1972 Sooners........NG......Lucious Selmon......5'11-224

​Two of the best college nose guards ever.

this is a terrible comparison. Between both of those teams, only one player weighed at least 250 lbs (and that player weighed exactly 250 lbs).

No it's not. The argument that the nose guard has to be a 300lb monster is based on nothing. Those two guys were terrors in the middle of the line. Big and slow gains you nothing.

But the offensive line weighed at most 250 pounds. Now they are upwards of 330. I don't think you can use numbers from 45 years ago.

I understand that, but you can imagine a 270lb guy who could play like them today. I just don't believe that "we don't have a nose guard".

It would have made things much easier for us to make sense of for you to include an explanation like that in your original post. Still think 270 is a little small.

Yeah......I saw comments that we don't have a giant to plug up the middle and I don't think we need a road block as much as we want an athletic guy who can get through and disrupt the way Glover and Selman did. After checking the number of 290 lb DT's we have, not sure why people are even talking about lack of size?? I also think the OLB's will be like Trev Alberts, where they'll seem like rush ends much of the time. I thought there would be more comparisons to those times, but haven't seen any yet.

1972 Huskers......MG......Rich Glover........6'1-233

​1972 Sooners........NG......Lucious Selmon......5'11-224

​Two of the best college nose guards ever.

this is a terrible comparison. Between both of those teams, only one player weighed at least 250 lbs (and that player weighed exactly 250 lbs).

No it's not. The argument that the nose guard has to be a 300lb monster is based on nothing. Those two guys were terrors in the middle of the line. Big and slow gains you nothing.

But the offensive line weighed at most 250 pounds. Now they are upwards of 330. I don't think you can use numbers from 45 years ago.

I understand that, but you can imagine a 270lb guy who could play like them today. I just don't believe that "we don't have a nose guard".

It would have made things much easier for us to make sense of for you to include an explanation like that in your original post. Still think 270 is a little small.

Yeah......I saw comments that we don't have a giant to plug up the middle and I don't think we need a road block as much as we want an athletic guy who can get through and disrupt the way Glover and Selman did. After checking the number of 290 lb DT's we have, not sure why people are even talking about lack of size?? I also think the OLB's will be like Trev Alberts, where they'll seem like rush ends much of the time. I thought there would be more comparisons to those times, but haven't seen any yet.

I see where you are coming from.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Heard that when Rielly came too, yet we chunked the ball more with TA (not his strength) than I can remember ever seeing.
I'm sure having Ameer his first two years had something to do with that, too

Do you watch Nebraska football? Riley didn't have Ameer at all, let alone his first two years.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Heard that when Rielly came too, yet we chunked the ball more with TA (not his strength) than I can remember ever seeing.

Do you watch Nebraska football? Riley didn't have Ameer at all, let alone his first two years.

I think he meant Tommy having Ameer had something to do with play calling.

I think he meant Tommy having Ameer had something to do with play calling.
Yes, Tommy's first two years, not Riley's

Not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

It is hard to believe just how many top college DC's are on this board.

To play Devil's Advocate, it's not always that simple, and I don't think literal "size" is the single greatest factor but also durability.

Jason Peter interviewed on the subject recently (I think on USC). He played a 3-4 nose tackle in the NFL and he said he had to put protective harnesses on his shoulders about midway through the season because his shoulders were literally being torn out of their sockets.

I won't pretend to know how Diaco runs his system so I don't even know if this will be a concern. My bigger question is how the linebackers will handle it because they're the single greatest piece to this puzzle moving forward and they've been one of the weaker units for awhile around here.