Oklahoma was in town. (Omaha)

I would agree with ColoradoHusk, RedDenver, BigRedN, etc that NU has a tendency to slow-play local talent. Even so, when a school like Stanford comes calling, it's a whole different ballgame. I love DONU, but Stanford offers a scholly to any NE kid, they should take it over any in-state offers, period. I remember when Frost was offered by Stanford back in 1993 most of the local talk radio said it was a "no-brainer" to take the Stanford offer even while saying Osborne needs to keep instate talent.

At the time, we were all in on McLain and actually got a commitment from him which shoved Phillips down the list. Once McLain switched to USCe, we went after Phillips but it was to late.

At the time, I still would have taken McLain over Phillips.

Huh?

Stanford offered Phillips over the summer while we were still "evaluating". It caught us off guard and an offer from us came a few days later. He then committed to Stanford a few days after our offer.

Are the Huskers looking into these guys yet?

It would be sort of discouraging as a Husker fan if they weren't. OU, a power 5 school, recruiting kids only 45 minutes away from Lincoln.

I'm really hoping that they would be active here with this group of kids. I know I see a lot of other coaches here. Hope they pick up their presence at Burke.

The way NU has slow played in-state talent (especially Omaha) for the past 10-15 years is discouraging. I'm not saying every local kid deserves a scholarship offer, but there has been plenty of talent that has gone elsewhere and excelled.

Like who?

Harrison Phillips - the starting NT for Stanford's 3-4 defense would be REALLY useful right now

.... No.

We recruited Harrison hard, but he knew he fit in the 3-4 and Stanford sold him on that.

Should we have consulted God and had him tell us that we'd be firing our DC 4 years from when Harrison signed and that we'd switch to the 3-4 and we should sell Harrison on that one year of truly excelling in a system he fits in?

Harrison knew his physique and play was suited for a 3-4, and you don't pass up a Stanford education.

I was responding to "there has been plenty of talent that has gone elsewhere and excelled.". HP would be a boon to the Huskers right now if we had managed to get him here. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to remember how we recruited a player (or I'm getting old and the memory is going).

I believe the point of RedDenver was the "slow play" of Harrison's recruitment. No, you don't necessarily pass up a Stanford education ... but had :bigredn: not slow played him would the results on his recruitment be different?

From what I recall we didn't show great interest until he got the big offers. I went back and read his thread and it confirmed it. Atbone95, you might find post #253 interesting. I think your view was respected then but it was the slow play that allowed 6-9 schools to move in. By the time our offer came in he was then challenged in His mind. If he gets the offer earlier I think we keep him. I think we ended up taking Mick, the lessor rated player late. ??

Take Harrison out and the point still seems valid. Even these two Burke kids seem to have been approached and pursue quicker by OU. True? False?

LOL GTFO. Find a comment I made in 2013 and hold it against me. Good bye

Atbone, I wasn't using that against you at all bro. I was just bringing up what was said in the past. I love what you bring to the board. I don't bring much. I just read. I have no issues with you, what you said then or are saying now.

So has Nebraska coaches visited them?? If not that's embarrassing

No, they have not. Haven't even reached out as of this point.

That's what I get annoyed with. The coaches need to build relationships with local kids and be the school that makes first contact. They should be reaching out to Nebraska kids who are sophomores and even freshmen. I'm not saying they have to offer scholarships to every kid, but start building relationships now, and maybe they can convince a kid to walk-on if they aren't deemed talented enough to warrant a scholarship offer.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...