Trump Foreign Policy

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think China is going to do everything they can, even if they take a lot of hurt in the next year and a half, to try to get anyone else elected here.

I’m pretty sure that every leader in the world would prefer to see someone else win the election.  Of course Israel, Saudi Arabia and North Korea are exceptions; how f’ing sick is that?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Seriously though, does anyone think Donald Trump, or anyone he has hired, is competent and ethical enough to make world trade decisions on behalf of America?

Unfortunatly some people actually think he is the best man for the job

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Seriously though, does anyone think Donald Trump, or anyone he has hired, is competent and ethical enough to make world trade decisions on behalf of America?

Not only do some people actually believe this, they are clamoring to get access to this very forum to tell us so.

And those who do have access are confounded that when they tell us these things, we do not believe them, and instead provide fake news "facts" in return.

It's a crazy time to be alive.

• Plus1 4

My unfortunate prediction: Trump is going to win the showdown with China.

The US economy is something like 4 times the size of China's. China is going to be much MUCH worse off in this showdown and is going to be forced into a trade deal with Trump. Plus Trump just wants the "win" in the shallow sense, so claiming capitulation early and then out-maneuvering the Trump admin during negotiations might be a good deal for China.

If Trump "wins" against China and gets re-elected, I predict he'll next declare a trade war with the EU.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

My unfortunate prediction: Trump is going to win the showdown with China.

The US economy is something like 4 times the size of China's. China is going to be much MUCH worse off in this showdown and is going to be forced into a trade deal with Trump. Plus Trump just wants the "win" in the shallow sense, so claiming capitulation early and then out-maneuvering the Trump admin during negotiations might be a good deal for China.

If Trump "wins" against China and gets re-elected, I predict he'll next declare a trade war with the EU.

If that happens, it will be after the election.  China will hold out to see if Trump wins.  If he does, I could see China caving on some issues (as they should) and Trump declaring a victory and moving on.

One thing though.  The Chinese government doesn't care nearly as much about their people suffering as Americans do.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

One thing though.  The Chinese government doesn't care nearly as much about their people suffering as Americans do.

well....trump doesn't care so maybe we are on equal footing with china in that regard.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Trump :facepalm:  I'm beginning to think he's a Russian agent wt the purpose of destroying this country.   Ok, maybe not an agent but he is destroying this country.

Farmers are being devastated by his policies.   Without the farm vote, Trump gets beat big time in the election.  While most of the farm belt states voted strongly GOP last time around, it could be a different picture this time around.  This is a big pocketbook issue and most people vote pocketbook - what affects them personally.   Of course wt the lose of market/demand prices may fall on the consumer end and Trump will take full credit for that while the farming community is destroyed. 

His Policy > retaliation

Retaliation > no market

no market > low prices for farm goods

Low Price >  Devastates farmers

Trump takes credit for low prices and tells farmers to vote for him "he'll fix it and get his deal, In the mean time they need to suck it up"

Farmers respond by voting against him & kicking him out of office

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/10/trump-is-ruining-our-markets-farmers-lose-a-huge-customer-to-trade-war----china.html

• U.S. farmers lost their fourth largest export market after China officially cancelled all purchases of U.S. agricultural products, a retaliatory move following President Donald Trump’s pledge to slap 10% tariffs on $300 billion of Chinese imports.
    • China’s exit piles on to a devastating year for farmers, who’ve struggled through record flooding and droughts that destroyed crop yields, and trade war escalations that have lowered prices and profits this year.
    • “It’s really, really getting bad out here,” Bob Kuylen, a farmer of 35 years in North Dakota, told CNBC. “There’s no incentive to keep farming, except that I’ve invested everything I have in farming, and it’s hard to walk away.”

“Trump is ruining our markets. No one is buying our product no more, and we have no markets no more.”

Agriculture exports to China dropped by more than half last year. In 2017, China imported $19.5 billion in agricultural goods, making it the second-largest buyer overall for American farmers. In 2018, that dropped to $9.2 billion as the trade war escalated, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

So, trump got Israel to ban Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entering the country.

Funny story. Israel didn't seem to have a problem allowing entry to some pretty virulent anti-Semitic people in the past.

And here's your kicker. This dude? Trump likes him.

It's a mixed-up world we live in when Israel is OK with admitting basically Nazis but not two members of the American Congress.

• Thanks 2

Remember when Mexico was going to pay for Trump's wall?

How'd that turn out?

Well, funny story...

Remember how tariffs are going to be paid by the countries Trump's fighting his "easy to win" trade wars against?

Guess how that's turning out?

I'm glad America "understood that" they would have to foot the bill for Trump's trade war when they voted for him.

Despite the fact that Trump explicitly said that's not what would happen.