Trump Foreign Policy

Related to Knapp's post but from a different angle:

Trump cancels visit to Denmark because Denmark doesn't want to sell Greenland .  So Trump :cry and cancels the meeting.

Funny how he says buying Greenland wasn't a priority but then cancels the trip because the PM said Greenland wasn't for sale.  And yet, Trump still plans on going

to Europe - Poland at that same time.  Seem like if Greenland wasn't  a priority (thus it wasn't the bases of his going to Denmark), and seems like if he is in the neighborhood by

being in Poland, why cancel the visit to Denmark and waste tax payer money with another trip there later.:dunno 

Me thinks he is boiling mad under the collar :angry: when the newly elected, FEMALE PM put Trump in his place and said NO. 

https://apnews.com/2f589698d5424dbda4be8d3acdf7ce6e

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two days after he said buying Greenland wasn’t a top priority, President Donald Trump canceled an upcoming trip to Denmark, which owns the mostly frozen island, after its prime minister dismissed the idea.

Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen had called Trump’s musing about buying the Danish territory “an absurd discussion” after the former real estate mogul-turned-president began to talk up the idea.

Trump said Sunday that he was interested in such a deal for strategic purposes, but said a purchase was not a priority at this time. “It’s not No. 1 on the burner,” he told reporters.

Trump even joked about his proposal as it came in for ridicule, tweeting a doctored photo of a glistening Trump skyscraper looming over a small village in the Arctic territory.

“I promise not to do this to Greenland,” he joked Monday.   But on Tuesday, Trump abruptly canceled the visit, also by tweet. Just a few hours earlier, the U.S. ambassador to Denmark tweeted that it was “ready for the POTUS @realDonaldTrump visit!” using an acronym for “President of the United States” along with Trump’s Twitter handle.

Trump wrote: “Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time.”

He added: “The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!”

White House spokesman Judd Deere said later that the visit to Denmark has been canceled.

The White House announced in late July that Trump had accepted an invitation to visit Denmark’s Queen Margrethe and participate in a series of meetings, including with Frederiksen and business leaders.

The trip, set to begin at the end of August, includes a stop in Poland to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the start of World War II.

Trump is expected to go ahead with the Warsaw visit.

I vote, destroy Trump.  How about you?  This is a portion of the oped on China. 

Amazing that the Great Negotiator has no idea how badly he is being played. :violin   He is playing cards with a leader from a society that is very much different than

our Western culture.  Of course, Trump's appeal to Little Fat Boy in NK of constructing beach front hotels along NK's coast hasn't hit a "cord" either.   Old Orange Face appears to

not know how to adapt his strategies when dealing wt other cultures.  Maybe he needs to call his friend Putin for some support.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/indepth/opinions-xis-choice-destroy-trump-or-save-him-and-weaken-america/ar-AAG6Zq5

Xi’s choice: Destroy Trump, or save him and weaken America

by David Von Drehle

Finally, Xi faces a test regarding President Trump.

Whatever one thinks of Trump’s trade-war goals, his tactics appear to have left him at Xi’s mercy. The Chinese people — 60 percent of whom spend less than $10 a day — are far more accustomed to economic pain than Trump’s Americans, and they have no meaningful right to vote. So Xi can probably afford to absorb the economic pain necessary to push the trade war past Election Day. This would greatly increase the chance of a recession in 2020 and damage the American president’s chance of reelection.

On the other hand, Xi also has the power to make a few token concessions that would allow Trump to claim victory in the trade war. Markets would give a hearty cheer; Trump would crown himself the China slayer. But Xi might gain four more years of severe disruption in the West.

The hard-power choice here is probably to stay the course on trade negotiations, spreading the pain unevenly and disproportionately on China’s impoverished majority. In the People’s Republic, it’s always the people who suffer. Confronting a U.S. president and potentially ending his career would ratify China’s arrival at superpower status.

Yet Xi may stand to gain more from the soft-power play, graciously springing Trump from the trap he stepped in. Trump’s reelection would gratify his supporters and demoralize everyone else, further depleting the soft power of the United States. It’s shocking that a U.S. president has given such juicy options to the Chinese leader. We’ll learn how canny Xi is by the choice he makes. 

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I vote, destroy Trump.  How about you?  This is a portion of the oped on China. 

Amazing that the Great Negotiator has no idea how badly he is being played. :violin   He is playing cards with a leader from a society that is very much different than

our Western culture.  Of course, Trump's appeal to Little Fat Boy in NK of constructing beach front hotels along NK's coast hasn't hit a "cord" either.   Old Orange Face appears to

not know how to adapt his strategies when dealing wt other cultures.  Maybe he needs to call his friend Putin for some support.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/indepth/opinions-xis-choice-destroy-trump-or-save-him-and-weaken-america/ar-AAG6Zq5

Xi’s choice: Destroy Trump, or save him and weaken America

by David Von Drehle

I'm not sure there's a need to call Putin when you have Stephen Ross and Bernie Marcus' support.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I am the chosen one.  OK.

Well the Cult leader has  DMD   - Delusional Messianic Dreams.    Amendment 25, Article 4  where art thou?

https://theweek.com/speedreads/860276/trump-chosen

The odd comment comes just after Trump compared himself to some kind of deity in a Wednesday morning tweet. He seemed to be watching Wayne Allyn Root's show on the conservative network Newsmax, and tweeted a quote from Root saying that "the Jewish people in Israel love [Trump] like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God." And the day before, Trump accused "any Jewish people that votes for a Democrat" of having "either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty." Kathryn Krawczyk

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Trump could just annex Greenland like his friend putin did with crimea

I was joking with my wife last night about that.  I would assume a military action worth $100 million would be much cheaper than buying it.  And he says he’s a good businessman...

:sarcasm