Trump Foreign Policy

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait.....one farm uses more water than the entire city of Los Angeles?

I would need to see some proof of that.

That's, apparently, an exaggeration.

According to two sources, he only uses 2/3 the amount of water that LA uses.

https://www.watercalculator.org/footprints/wonderful-nuts-water-farmer/

http://www.sfweekly.com/dining/one-central-valley-farmer-uses-two-thirds-as-much-water-as-l-a/

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can we reflect for a second on how absurd that the president filled a role as vital as National Security Advisor on the basis of who impressed him most on Fox News?

Because that's how Bolton got his job.

Want a job in the Trump WH, get on TV first for the addition.  I guess Trump is still doing the reality TV thing  He still thinks he is doing the Apprentice From your link:

Mr. Bolton — a featured commentator on Fox News since 2007, after his term as ambassador to the United Nations — is the third TV personality in the past eight days to join Mr. Trump’s it-came-from-the-small-screen White House team.

The president last week tapped Larry Kudlow, the CNBC commentator, to be his chief economic adviser. On Monday, he hired Joseph E. diGenova, a Washington lawyer who drew Mr. Trump’s attention on Fox News, where he described — without evidence — “a brazen plot” by F.B.I. agents to frame the president for a crime.

15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Trump is absolutely right to be at odds with Bolton. Bolton and the rest of the morons that got us into the Iraq war shouldn't be allowed anywhere near positions of power. 

Ah, RD, I always knew you were a closet Trump supporter:wub::D     Kidding aside, I agree with your statement.  I knew Bolton was trouble the day Trump hired him - he hires only the best :sarcasmand yet he has to go out of his way to object to what his 'best' employees are proposing and publicly saying. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

That's, apparently, an exaggeration.

According to two sources, he only uses 2/3 the amount of water that LA uses.

https://www.watercalculator.org/footprints/wonderful-nuts-water-farmer/

http://www.sfweekly.com/dining/one-central-valley-farmer-uses-two-thirds-as-much-water-as-l-a/

Wow...interesting.

When they say "the city" of LA, I wonder if they mean just the municipality/city government or the entire city, meaning residents and all other water users within the city limits.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...interesting.

When they say "the city" of LA, I wonder if they mean just the municipality/city government or the entire city, meaning residents and all other water users within the city limits.

Gotta believe it's just the municipality and not the whole L.A. basin. That's like six million people.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...interesting.

Either way, it's pretty crazy that a farm uses that much water, especially in a western state that frequently has water shortages.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Either way, it's pretty crazy that a farm uses that much water, especially in a western state that frequently has water shortages.

When you read the number of acres the farm has, I don't think it's crazy.  The crazy part is that one person owns all of it.  

If you broke all those up into normal sized farms, they probably don't use an abnormal amount.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you read the number of acres the farm has, I don't think it's crazy.  The crazy part is that one person owns all of it.  

If you broke all those up into normal sized farms, they probably don't use an abnormal amount.

That's a good point, but I meant more big picture like how much water is used just for pistachios, let alone California agriculture.

Just now, RedDenver said:

That's a good point, but I meant more big picture like how much water is used just for pistachios, let alone California agriculture.

That doesn't surprise me.  I would guess there is more water used for agriculture in Nebraska than for municipalities.  

Then, on top of that, I would guess the average resident in LA uses much less water than the average Nebraska resident due to all the water restrictions.

And, we all know how Californians love their fruits and nuts.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That doesn't surprise me.  I would guess there is more water used for agriculture in Nebraska than for municipalities.  

Then, on top of that, I would guess the average resident in LA uses much less water than the average Nebraska resident due to all the water restrictions.

And, we all know how Californians love their fruits and nuts.

I have a strong opinion that modern agriculture needs to change as it uses too many inputs including water, so I'm biased on this account. But it's crazy to me to use up ~4 million people's worth of water just for pistachios in a place that has frequent droughts. Nebraska hasn't had water rationing for the populace that I'm aware of, so it's not at all the same thing.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I have a strong opinion that modern agriculture needs to change as it uses too many inputs including water, so I'm biased on this account. But it's crazy to me to use up ~4 million people's worth of water just for pistachios in a place that has frequent droughts. Nebraska hasn't had water rationing for the populace that I'm aware of, so it's not at all the same thing.

I'm not arguing against your opinion.  Just adding a little perspective.  The water issue in CA is a major problem.  But, I love almonds and pistachios.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not arguing against your opinion.  Just adding a little perspective.  The water issue in CA is a major problem.  But, I love almonds and pistachios.  

Me too. It's part of why making large scale change is so hard.