Trump Foreign Policy

Well the British ambassador isn't too impressed by Trump to say the least:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7220335/Britains-man-says-Trump-inept-Cables-ambassador-say-dysfunctional.html

Britain's man in the US says Trump is 'inept': Leaked secret cables from ambassador say the President is 'uniquely dysfunctional and his career could end in disgrace' 

• EXCLUSIVE: Sir Kim Darroch used secret cables to impugn Trump's character
  • Top diplomat warned London President Trump's career could end in 'disgrace'
  • Bombshell comments risk angering the notoriously thin-skinned US President
  • He describes bitter conflicts in White House as 'knife fights', sources confirmed
  • And claims President's economic policies could wreck the world trade system
  • Says Presidency could 'crash and burn', 'we could be at start of downward spiral'
  • Britain's Ambassador to Washington has described Donald Trump as 'inept', 'insecure' and 'incompetent' in a series of explosive memos to Downing Street.

Sir Kim Darroch, one of Britain's top diplomats, used secret cables and briefing notes to impugn Trump's character, warning London that the White House was 'uniquely dysfunctional' and that the President's career could end in 'disgrace'. 

His bombshell comments risk angering the notoriously thin-skinned President and undermining the UK's 'special relationship' with America.

•  

In one of the most sensitive documents, Sir Kim writes: 'We don't really believe this Administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.'

He also says that he doesn't think Trump's White House will 'ever look competent'.

In reference to Trump's ability to shrug off controversies in a life which has been 'mired in scandal', he says that the President may nonetheless 'emerge from the flames, battered but intact, like [Arnold] Schwarzenegger in the final scenes of The Terminator'.

The Washington Files span the period from 2017 to the present, covering everything from Trump's policy in the Middle East to his 2020 re-election plans.

One account of a Trump rally says that there is a 'credible path' for Trump to win a second term in the White House – but describes the crowd as 'almost exclusively white'.

In what is likely to be regarded as a patronising passage in the cache, officials in London are told that in order to deal with Trump effectively 'you need to make your points simple, even blunt'.

The most incendiary paper is a letter to National Security Adviser Sir Mark Sedwill sent on June 22, 2017 – 150 days into the Trump administration – and copied to what Sir Kim describes as a 'strictly limited' number of senior figures in Downing Street and the Foreign Office.

Trump responds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-hits-back-uks-top-envoy-calls-white-235328017.html

Asked about the leak, Trump told reporters in the US: "The ambassador has not served the UK well, I can tell you that.

"We are not big fans of that man and he has not served the UK well. So I can understand it, and I can say things about him but I won't bother."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what the motive behind leaking this was. To hurt US UK relations? I mean I always assumed the UK thought Trump was a moron. I assume most people from other countries who have to interact with him think he's a moron. So it's not like that part of it is news. I can only think the motive was to make Trump mad at the UK.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder what the motive behind leaking this was. To hurt US UK relations? I mean I always assumed the UK thought Trump was a moron. I assume most people from other countries who have to interact with him think he's a moron. So it's not like that part of it is news. I can only think the motive was to make Trump mad at the UK.

Here's your answer.  I know it's going to surprise you....but our President is an idiot.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's your answer.  I know it's going to surprise you....but our President is an idiot.

Jonathan Powell, former prime minister Tony Blair’s chief of staff, told Britain’s Channel 4 News that the attempt to force Darroch from office followed similar efforts to punish career British officials suspected of insufficient enthusiasm for Brexit. “There have been a whole series of attacks on civil servants — on the cabinet secretary, on the former negotiator in the EU — all of a part, by Farage and people from the Brexit side who seem to be keen to get rid of these people.”

Are the good people going to have to start playing dirty? This s#!t is awful.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I'm going to go there.

Did Trump want this leaked so he could get his guy as ambassador?

That wasn’t the impression I got. My impression was this was all done by the Brits who want as many pro-Brexit people in these positions as possible. They knew Trump would do their bidding if they leaked this because he’s easily manipulated.

36 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That wasn’t the impression I got. My impression was this was all done by the Brits who want as many pro-Brexit people in these positions as possible. They knew Trump would do their bidding if they leaked this because he’s easily manipulated.

That is probably the more likely scenario.  I wouldn't put it past Trump though to play along.  He has said he wants Farage as an ambassador.