Trump Foreign Policy

I read an article today that said current admin officials (one whom the author knows personally) that are still supportive of Trump and fully in his camp are leaking because he is not listening to feedback, considers every comment made toward him or his ideas to be questioning him and so since all he looks to for temperature of the nation and etc is the press they hope by funneling things their way they can influence him indirectly.

OK....so...as of now we know.....

a) Washpo wrote an article claiming that "Current and former US officials" claimed Trump said things in the meeting that were highly inappropriate.

b) Administration claims everything said in the meeting WAS appropriate.

Who do you trust?

If this were pretty much any other administration, I would try to have a wait and see attitude. The problem the administration has is that they have said and done so many things that are stupid/inappropriate that my ability to give them the benefit of the doubt has gone out the window.

It appears that people within both parties on Capital Hill are in the same boat.

It is called ruling by chaos. Every day there is something new - distraction everywhere and denials, accusations, etc. This is no way to govern. So much partisanship - as you mentioned it is one big game - a gotcha game.

I think McMasters needs to go under oath before the same committee investigating the Russia 'stuff' and talk specifically about every portion of the Post story. This Russia story won't go away and the quick we as a nation deal with it truthfully the better off we are. If it means Trump is clean - fine or if it means Trump has dirty (besides small) hands then fine - the facts have to come out. The Repubs need to realize for their own 2018 election, they will be painted as obstructionists unless they deal honestly with this issue. Providing cover for Trump is only prolonging the issue and not removing the infectious splinter. Besides, what loyalty do these congressmen have to Trump? They replace Trump with Pence and they can still carry out their agenda. It looks bad but voters have short memories if you deal wt an issue timely and honestly.

I read an article today that said current admin officials (one whom the author knows personally) that are still supportive of Trump and fully in his camp are leaking because he is not listening to feedback, considers every comment made toward him or his ideas to be questioning him and so since all he looks to for temperature of the nation and etc is the press they hope by funneling things their way they can influence him indirectly.

He wants to hire the Best -.... as long as they agree with him. The best leaders make sure they have people on their staff who aren't yes men but who will speak the truth without fear of reprisal to help the leader with seeing beyond his blind spots. Trump believes he has no blind spots and ultimately only his opinion really matters. The kind of leader you describe above is very insecure - the type that has to prove his manhood - the kind that could place us in danger.

He wants to hire the Best -.... as long as they agree with him. The best leaders make sure they have people on their staff who aren't yes men but who will speak the truth without fear of reprisal to help the leader with seeing beyond his blind spots. Trump believes he has no blind spots and ultimately only his opinion really matters. The kind of leader you describe above is very insecure - the type that has to prove his manhood - the kind that could place us in danger.

AND ... the kind with teeny tiny hands.

If this were pretty much any other administration, I would try to have a wait and see attitude. The problem the administration has is that they have said and done so many things that are stupid/inappropriate that my ability to give them the benefit of the doubt has gone out the window.

I think this is probably the consensus among more moderate voters. Many Republicans have naturally responded by calling the whole situation "fake news," while many Democrats are going to look at this as a chaotic meltdown in foreign policy. Two extremes.

I'm disinclined to believe the president's administration given the toxicity surrounding their leadership. However, the other challenge here is the WaPo took a severe credibility hit earlier this year with an unreliable story about Russians hacking a utility grid.

This quote from the Forbes article I just hyperlinked also has some merit -

...the news media is overly dependent on government sources. Glenn Greenwald raises the fantastic point that journalists must be more cautious in treating the word of governments as absolute truth. Indeed, a certain fraction of the world’s false and misleading news actually comes from the mouths of government spokespeople. Yet, in the Post’s case, it appears that a government source tipped off the post about a sensational story of Russians hacking the US power grid and instead of reaching out to the utilities themselves or gathering further detail, the Post simply published the story as fed to them by the government officials.

We're all just stuck in the middle.

• Fire 1

It's a political game this country is far too comfortable allowing to persist, and many of the elected leaders aren't doing their part to make a difference.

Completely agree with everything said about the Turtle in this thread. He'd be raising hell and pushing for multiple investigations if any Democratic president did this. He'd be in front of a camera EVERY. DAMN. DAY.

Instead, we get a few empty words about it being drama and nothing more. You also get GOP reps diving into elevators and running into book stores to avoid being asked about their president.

It's pathetic. They clearly just want the issue to go away, until polling tells them it's ok to challenge Trump. Knapp's exactly right. Party over country.

Congress is still as broken as it was under Obama. We're still led by people who clearly care more about their party than the good of the country or their constituents.

The only difference is now we're led by a dangerous idiot.

Knapplc started a thread about this: http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/83243-why-trump-insiders-talk-to-the-press/&do=findComment&comment=1841882

• Fire 1

This is the most believable defense that I have seen about Trump not telling the Russians classified intel:

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/white-house-staff.html?_r=2

This is the most believable defense that I have seen about Trump not telling the Russians classified intel:

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

Interesting comments, and by extension, this suggests Trump could say something damning without understanding (or knowing) the potential impact.

Interesting comments, and by extension, this suggests Trump could say something damning without understanding (or knowing) the potential impact.

Yup. What he doesn't know is just as dangerous as what he does know.