Trump Foreign Policy

I know I sound like a broken record but this country isn't worth protecting if we sh#t on the less fortunate and don't regulate pollution. Also, the economy is important but it's not more important than not destroying natural resources. For some reason when we were looking after both, the GOP didn't like it.

• Fire 1

How does Trump reconcile the comments he's made about how horrible it is that we've spent $6 Trillion on the wars in the middle east.....then, he asks for a huge increase in defense spending and the plan the military put forth in front of him to defeat ISIS includes more troops on the ground?

How does Trump reconcile the comments he's made about how horrible it is that we've spent $6 Trillion on the wars in the middle east.....then, he asks for a huge increase in defense spending and the plan the military put forth in front of him to defeat ISIS includes more troops on the ground?

Has Trump ever reconciled his conflicting statements or actions?

• Fire 1

I have a major feeling that this isn't going to end well.

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/836336371245666306

This is a 54 BILLION dollar increase in defense spending.

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/836281934527483905

Think what that could do in education.

Generals have been telling us not to build tanks and planes they don't need. We waste obscene amounts of money on a jet that isn't combat ready yet, and won't be until nearly 2 decades after it was approved. But we need to throw more money at our defense budget?

America's military already laughably dwarfs the globe. There's just no need for that kind of spending and it's a ridiculous notion that we'd even need to go that far.

We could CUT our spending and still be the most dominant military in the world.

We have 10 aircraft carriers when no other country has more than 2. We also have 9 other ships capable of launching fixed wing aircraft, but are technically not labeled as carriers.

Increasing the defense budget is utterly insane. They need to be cut waaaay back, and streamlined like any other modern organization. Then with some of that money we saved we need to fix the VA and actually take care of those who protect us.

• Plus1 1

And yet, there are red-dead conservative everyday Americans out there who are butthurt because they absolutely believe 100% sincerely we must rebuild our "decimated military."

Goes to show you the power of propaganda, I guess. That's the lie the Trumps of the world sell to the world, and it works on a lot of folks.

• Fire 1

I love that we have a strong military, but I love our responsible civilian leadership of it even more. Deranged is what we have now: madmen who will glorify the revving up of our war machine while professing they would love never to use it.

We have, and still do carry the biggest stick. That isn't going to change anytime soon, and it certainly wouldn't change with strategic budget cuts in the military.

Most of the military's "failings" are a lack of want-to by Politicians and the American public. Not funding or personnel. Unfortunately to truely fix Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc. People have to died, good people, talented people. People with hopes and dreams, and families. That's a very sad and tough thing to realize. We as a nation can't stomach that.

We're too use to winning wars easily, because we are the greatest conventional military on the face of the earth. But the world probably isn't going to ever fight a large scale traditional war in the distant future. They will continue to be small scale guerilla like affairs.

There was a push to produce more special operation forces about 6 or 9 years ago, but I think that has died down. To truely be affective in the modern war on terror we need these special operators; they are the most effective weapon we have against the tactics being used. They are small, agile, and adaptable units that are highly trained and highly capable. We don't need more tanks, planes, and ships...

/rant

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Has U.S. use of special forces died down? That doesn't sound right at all. I thought their usage greatly expanded under President Obama, along with other targeted strike elements such as drones.

I think the use is still high, but the recruitment incentives died down. I know there was a designation you could get when you enlisted that would fast track you to the certain schools for training and possible selection to the groups. I'm not sure if that still exists, I want to say it doesnt, but I could be wrong.
  • Plus1 1