Trump Foreign Policy

14 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

@GM_Tood Thanks for taking a swing at that. I don't consume conservative media much, certainly not their mainstream stuff, so I don't know how they're all reacting to this or what the spin is. I could venture a guess, but it's better to hear from someone else.

I'm afraid I fall along the same lines as Knapp on your proposals. I can't see anyone else getting on board with that when they have an international pact that they all already agree is working and is easily enforceable with the IAEA inspectors. What you're describing is a much more aggressive sanctions-based approach that will essentially cripple Iran if they don't meet our demands. Some of that stuff would happen in an ideal world, but as a whole it seems akin to extortion. Neither Iran nor our allies are going to try to demand those things, outside of Netanyahu, who I assume is on board with Trump no matter what at this point.

I'm not too shocked Saudi Arabia would applaud this. They both hate Iran & don't want to rock the boat with Trump.

The main issue I had with this is that Iran's long range missile program was still allowed to continue. With the current sunset conditions, which would then remove various restrictions with regards to  Iran's ability to acquire nuclear weapons, they would have a clear, yet slow, path to nuclear capability.  To be honest I watched the POTUS speech and that all the news I watched today.  From browsing a couple channels the reactions are in line to what you think they would be from FOX/CNN. 

I might be a little too hung up on this being a deal rather than a Treaty...but I would have felt better if this agreement was put before Congress and approved.  If Trump designs whatever the next agreement not as Treaty I wont be happy with it.  (Same goes for the NK situation too fwiw) 

6 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

The main issue I had with this is that Iran's long range missile program was still allowed to continue. With the current sunset conditions, which would then remove various restrictions with regards to  Iran's ability to acquire nuclear weapons, they would have a clear, yet slow, path to nuclear capability.  To be honest I watched the POTUS speech and that all the news I watched today.  From browsing a couple channels the reactions are in line to what you think they would be from FOX/CNN. 

I might be a little too hung up on this being a deal rather than a Treaty...but I would have felt better if this agreement was put before Congress and approved.  If Trump designs whatever the next agreement not as Treaty I wont be happy with it.  (Same goes for the NK situation too fwiw) 

What percentage of chance do you think it is that Trump gets a treaty with either Iran or North Korea?

17 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

Trump campaigned on this...why is it such a surprise?  Another promise kept. As he said in his speech today, Negotiation table is open if Iran is willing to talk.  I would rather have a 0% chance of a Nuclear Iran than a 100% Nuclear Iran when this deal expired. 

The NK nuclear agreement better be a Treaty....with Congress approval...other than a wink wink deal. 

And do you really believe Donald Trump or anyone in his Cabinet is competent enough to negotiate a nuclear arms deal? That tells me all I need to know.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

No I do not know any Iranians. But I did serve with IDF members that were killed by Iranian backed Hezbollah.  

My SA post was simply showing that a Strategic Ally to the US supports our stance on this deal. And since apparently you are the Middle East expert I wont need to go into any details on the US-Saudi strategic relationship.  

Your support of Iran tells me all i need to know. 

where the heck did i say i supported the iranians?  i am saying  i doubt there is ever a new deal reached.  but go with your far right wing nutjob attacks...they fit you well.

34 minutes ago, commando said:

where the heck did i say i supported the iranians?  i am saying  i doubt there is ever a new deal reached.  but go with your far right wing nutjob attacks...they fit you well.

I'm quite certain that was directed at me. I know Iranians and said so in a post a couple down from yours. @GM_Tood most likely meant to quote me, but the garbage website interface messed up his post. 

8 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

Your support of Iran tells me all i need to know. 

Presuming this is directed at me, no, you don't know anything about me, my motives or my intent based on that post. I do not "support Iran."  I support some Iranians, mostly those who refer to themselves as Persian, and their loved ones living under that regime. 

I think whatever side of any political debate we fall on, we can all agree the IP.Board interface was WAY better before the upgrade last August.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

So, are you someone that would prefer declarations of war (and lesser stuff like military strikes) should be run through Congress too? 

I find that to be an interesting question. I've heard good arguments for both sides, but it's not something I have a looked into intently.

Also, I'm not sure when the last time a treaty like that was actually passed through Congress & ratified. I know it wasn't the case with the Paris climate agreement.

1 minute ago, FrankWheeler said:

Nope, that is literally the response...

I know that the Trump team thinks companies in other countries will just do what Trump says. I was asking if you're being serious or sarcastic. Do you think German companies will embargo Iran because Trump told them to?

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I know that the Trump team thinks companies in other countries will just do what Trump says. I was asking if you're being serious or sarcastic. Do you think German companies will embargo Iran because Trump told them to?

I really don't know. The administration is essentially threatening sanctions on those companies that do not pull out of Iran.  So they risk losing access to the US market. It depends on if the companies view Trump's threat of sanctions as a bluff or not.  Trump has already bluffed on the tariffs once, but he's completely unpredictable and doesn't seem to mind upsetting past allies.  I don't know.