The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Gotta keep the outrage pot simmering somehow.

I just read an article about how many in the GOP are using the Mr. Potatohead and Dr. Suess situations to rile up the base.  But I keep asking myself this question: why is this the Democratic party's fault?  

The only role government "might' play in either case is if Republican elected officials required businesses to act a certain way by forcing these companies to maintain their status quo.  That doesn't sound to me like a business world many would want...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I just read an article about how many in the GOP are using the Mr. Potatohead and Dr. Suess situations to rile up the base.  But I keep asking myself this question: why is this the Democratic party's fault?  

They’re confident “the base” won’t be asking that question.   

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Stellar thread about this very subject. 

Got to keep people on the plantation with the victim hood comments from the GOP.

Perceiving oneself to be a victim is ubiquitous in American politics. As Horwitz (2018) remarks, “The victim has become among the most important identity positions in American politics” (553). This is no accident. Victimhood is a central theme of modern political messaging. For instance, a Republican strategist observed, “At a Trump rally, central to the show is the idea of shared victimization...Trump revels in it, has consistently portrayed himself as a victim of the media and of his political opponents...” (in Rucker 2019). However, if you consider Trump’s demographic characteristics (white and male) and his successes (in terms of wealth and being president), he is not a victim by any serious societal standard. While Trump’s supporters may, to varying degrees, be victims of certain social and political circumstances, the rallies at which the president is reveling in their shared victimhood are direct consequences of at least their recent political successes.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Oh boy.....

This thread is about to get interesting :)

Both parties play the victim game for the good of their individual plantation.  Some say, victim politics began with FDR pleading for the cause of the poor and needy at the beginning of the depression & against the ruling class of industry and finance .  I suspect it started well before that.  William Jennings Bryawas a populist (not unlike Trump) from Nebraska who ran for president as a Democrat 3x (1896,1900, 1908) failing each time.  Like Trump he was a real character.   He used the victim card in his campaigns pitting one group vs another.  We also see the victim card being played by Southern Democrats after the Civil War - claiming unfair treatment by the federal govt during reconstruction.  The primary reason reconstruction was never really completed was because of election results & legislation that followed  that looked more favorably upon the cries of the south.  We had to wait until the 1950s and 60s for major civil rights legislation as a result of the unfinished reconstruction. 

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Both parties play the victim game for the good of their individual plantation.  Some say, victim politics began with FDR pleading for the cause of the poor and needy at the beginning of the depression & against the ruling class of industry and finance .  I suspect it started well before that.  William Jennings Bryawas a populist (not unlike Trump) from Nebraska who ran for president as a Democrat 3x (1896,1900, 1908) failing each time.  Like Trump he was a real character.   He used the victim card in his campaigns pitting one group vs another.  We also see the victim card being played by Southern Democrats after the Civil War - claiming unfair treatment by the federal govt during reconstruction.  The primary reason reconstruction was never really completed was because of election results & legislation that followed  that looked more favorably upon the cries of the south.  We had to wait until the 1950s and 60s for major civil rights legislation as a result of the unfinished reconstruction. 

I'm guessing you don't get much Creighton Bluejay basketball news in Oklahoma...

• Haha 2