The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's just so bizarre that Fox News would need these subsidies. 

1. Tucker Carlson's xenophobic, racist, and bigoted content has cost him nearly all his advertisers

It's mostly an hour of MyPillow ads and promos for other Fox shows

But Fox News doesn't care

Why?

They've rigged the game

Follow along if interested

2. A primary source of revenue for Fox News is PEOPLE WHO NEVER WATCH FOX NEWS.

On average cable TV subscribers pay $1.72 per month for Fox News

But only 14% watch Fox News

That means for every viewer, Fox News receives a $7.75 subsidy from non-viewers

4. These carriage fees are Fox News' PRIMARY SOURCE OF REVENUE. In 2020, Fox News made $1.6 billion off carriage fees and $1.2 billion off advertising.

So that insulates them from advertisers leaving Tucker Carlson or any other show.

5. A substantial portion of Carlson's $10 million/year salary comes from people who find his views odious

Like Carlson's decision to use his program to advance "white replacement theory" - a racist idea explicitly cited by numerous mass murders

6. Tucker Carlson has the right to advance racist conspiracy theories or celebrate the assassination of the first LGBT elected official.

But people should have the CHOICE whether or not to pay him for this content.

7. There are two options to end Tucker Carlson's subsidy:

A. Cable companies could start offering bundles that don't include Fox News. They seem unwilling to stand up to the Murdochs, however.

B. Cut the cord

8. This has nothing to do with "free speech"

Carlson has the right to be a bigot

YOU shouldn't be forced to pay for his bigotry so you can watch Law & Order reruns

For updates and accountability journalism, sign up for the newsletter

Might be a dumb question (and sorry if I missed it) but I wonder where the likes of Youtube TV and Hulu TV fit into the mix from a revenue standpoint. The linked article only had this to say, from what I could tell:

So the only way to stop sending cash to the Murdochs is to "cut the cord" and find a combination of streaming services that doesn't include Fox News.

So, kind of makes it sound like that revenue is lumped together regardless of source i.e. "cable" package or streaming service. And that may very well be the case, but from a consumer standpoint, I don't really think there's anything we can do because of the way the corporations bundle everything. I pay for YoutubeTV. I can't a la carte Fox News or really any of the 60 base channels they offer. I can only a la carte the add ons in the format they've solicited. And I don't think there's really another feasible option for someone like me who wants to have access to multiple networks for the variety of sports I watch. For example, I'm a huge F1 fan, but streaming Sky Sports is upwards of $40 U.S./month. That's nearly the YoutubeTV subscription by itself.

TLDR It feels like we're at the mercy of the corps.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Might be a dumb question (and sorry if I missed it) but I wonder where the likes of Youtube TV and Hulu TV fit into the mix from a revenue standpoint. The linked article only had this to say, from what I could tell:

So, kind of makes it sound like that revenue is lumped together regardless of source i.e. "cable" package or streaming service. And that may very well be the case, but from a consumer standpoint, I don't really think there's anything we can do because of the way the corporations bundle everything. I pay for YoutubeTV. I can't a la carte Fox News or really any of the 60 base channels they offer. I can only a la carte the add ons in the format they've solicited. And I don't think there's really another feasible option for someone like me who wants to have access to multiple networks for the variety of sports I watch. For example, I'm a huge F1 fan, but streaming Sky Sports is upwards of $40 U.S./month. That's nearly the YoutubeTV subscription by itself.

Yeah, I have YoutubeTV also and there isn't a way to opt out of Fox News.  I do have it clear at the bottom of my network menu where I keep all of the networks I never watch though.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, I have YoutubeTV also and there isn't a way to opt out of Fox News.  I do have it clear at the bottom of my network menu where I keep all of the networks I never watch though.

I get a subscription during the football season to watch the Huskers and cancel it the rest of the year.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I get a subscription during the football season to watch the Huskers and cancel it the rest of the year.

If it wasn't for Formula 1, I'd do that very thing. But with the NFL season ending in February and the F1 season running March - November, I'm basically on for the whole year now.

13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Joe Rogan is such a ****ing idiot. 

"My personal experience...", that is the problem. We need a societal level response so that you don't get it, your kids don't get it, so that way immune compromised people don't die. You getting vaccinated as a healthy person is to help not kill those who can't.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Joe Rogan is such a ****ing idiot. 

I'm constantly at odds with Joe. Some stuff I agree with (like his opinions on healthy living and the fat acceptance movement) and some stuff I think he's being an idiot about.

This is idiot level 1000. I get that he's sharing his opinion, but his opinion is incredibly influential, and on a topic related to a pandemic... I think he needs to be more responsible. Dude has to be better. A 21-year-old should be leaning on the advice of their doctor/family physician. Not Joe Rogan.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, deedsker said:

"My personal experience...", that is the problem. We need a societal level response so that you don't get it, your kids don't get it, so that way immune compromised people don't die. You getting vaccinated as a healthy person is to help not kill those who can't.

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm constantly at odds with Joe. Some stuff I agree with (like his opinions on healthy living and the fat acceptance movement) and some stuff I think he's being an idiot about.

This is idiot level 1000. I get that he's sharing his opinion, but his opinion is incredibly influential, and on a topic related to a pandemic... I think he needs to be more responsible. Dude has to be better. A 21-year-old should be leaning on the advice of their doctor/family physician. Not Joe Rogan.

I think Bill Burr sums it up best: 

• Thanks 5

Losing their minds over one book. Conflating that to a dumb allegation that it's being given to every migrant kid. Then when that turns out to not be true, tacking on a disclaimer at the end rather than taking the whole lie down.

The disclaimer nullifies the entire article. But the articles stays up. Why? 

Because the disinformation is more important than the truth.