The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Why would I ask a carpenter?  

i don't know....why did you ask me?      if you want a detailed answer about your deck i can provide some answers.  if you want to know why certain vaccines are required for school i might not be the best source for answers.  if i had to guess i would guess because those vaccines are lifetime vaccines....but i am not the expert on those.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, commando said:

i don't know why.   maybe ask some immunologists instead of asking a carpenter.

I used to hear stories about this carpenter who was an amazing healer, so maybe you're just the right person to ask.

What can you do with two fish and five loaves of bread?

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I used to hear stories about this carpenter who was an amazing healer, so maybe you're just the right person to ask.

What can you do with two fish and five loaves of bread?

The guy you are referencing wasn’t actually a carpenter.  He was more of a handyman or Mason.  Surprised you didn’t know this considering you such a self proclaimed scholar of all things Biblical.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, commando said:

if you want a detailed answer about your deck i can provide some answers. 

Perfect.  Gonna tear down my deck soon and build a paver patio with a large stone chimney and enclosed TV, with bar/gas grill (buried gas line then up through to the grill)/Green Egg/built in lighting and sink/small fridge/kegerator built in on one side along a stone wall.  Other side we are thinking 6-8 person hot tub if room permits.  Wanting to be all in below $60k.  Is this feasible? Would you like to fly in and bid out the job?  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Perfect.  Gonna tear down my deck soon and build a paver patio with a large stone chimney and enclosed TV, with bar/gas grill (buried gas line then up through to the grill)/Green Egg/built in lighting and sink/small fridge/kegerator built in on one side along a stone wall.  Other side we are thinking 6-8 person hot tub if room permits.  Wanting to be all in below $60k.  Is this feasible? Would you like to fly in and bid out the job?  

sounds like you want to hire a mason rather than a carpenter.   lol.    .   .   as for 60k....probably not but i don't know what area you live in and local contractors rates there.   

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The guy you are referencing wasn’t actually a carpenter.  He was more of a handyman or Mason.  Surprised you didn’t know this considering you such a self proclaimed scholar of all things Biblical.  

There's no academic consensus on this, so to state it matter of fact isn't accurate. The Greek word translated to carpenter only appears twice in the New Testament (referencing Jesus and his step-father Joseph), but is all over the Old Testament, occasionally being a more generic 'worker' but also occasionally specifically referring to woodworking as distinguished from other craft trades including masonry.

https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3Dte%2Fktwn

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

There's no academic consensus on this, so to state it matter of fact isn't accurate. The Greek word translated to carpenter only appears twice in the New Testament (referencing Jesus and his step-father Joseph), but is all over the Old Testament, occasionally being a more generic 'worker' but also occasionally specifically referring to woodworking as distinguished from other craft trades including masonry.

https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3Dte%2Fktwn

Well sure there isn’t 100% consensus.  Many parts of the Bible don’t  have 100% consensus.  Most believe correctly that Jesus was a laborer in early days prior to building his following and becoming our Savior.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Well sure there isn’t 100% consensus.  Many parts of the Bible don’t  have 100% consensus.  Most believe correctly that Jesus was a laborer in early days prior to building his following and becoming our Savior.  

There isn't 100% consensus, and there isn't 99% consensus either. Not 98%, 97%, 96%, etc. There's a diverse history of thought and translations. Almost every dictionary and lexicon you look up has 'carpenter' either as the primary definition or a more specific option to the general "builder/craftsman" one. Sometimes the word in OT and NT passages is generic, sometimes its explicitly a carpenter. Sometimes the word in non-Bible works of 2nd century B.C. to 2nd century A.D. Greek writing is generic, also sometimes explicitly a carpenter. Early Christian authors such as Justin Martyr and Origen of Alexandria, as well as the gnostic gospels and apocryphal writings refer to such things (relating to Jesus) as making yokes and plows, explicitly working with wood, making "implements of husbandry and wooden beds", and so on. The best argument against Jesus as a carpenter is the diversity of experiences present in his parables, but even that is highly interpretive and speculative.

Convenient to use a term like "most" which is unprovable and a vague target, but regardless there isn't anything close to consensus and once again you're stating something with zero degree of certainty as a certain fact.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Convenient to use a term like "most" which is unprovable and a vague target, but regardless there isn't anything close to consensus and once again you're stating something with zero degree of certainty as a certain fact.

As is your statement of not 100, not 99, not 98, not 97, not 96, etc…:dunno  One can assume then that you have polled everyone since, you know, your stating something with what looks to be zero degree of certainty as a certain fact.  Below is a good explanation of what is generally accepted (that a good word for you) as to his profession prior to being Baptized.   I’m pretty comfortable with my prior assertion.  

https://leadership.lifeway.com/2017/04/04/the-forgotten-jesus-part-2-was-jesus-a-carpenter-or-a-stonemason/

The central misunderstanding comes from a translation issue that occurred centuries ago. It focuses on a verse in Matthew 13. After Jesus teaches in his hometown synagogue, the crowd asks, “Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary?” (v. 55). The Greek word tekton, translated here as carpenter, is more accurately rendered as craftsman or builder. At face value, without taking the Jewish cultural background into consideration, a carpenter could fit that description. However, a quick survey of northern Israel’s landscape reveals that the job of carpenter may not be the best fit for that Greek word.

The majority of homes in Israel, as noted by Hebraic scholar James W. Fleming, are constructed with stone. Fleming explains: “Jesus and Joseph would have formed and made nine out of ten projects from stone either by chiseling or carving the stone or stacking building blocks.” Does this mean that Jesus never worked with wood? While we can’t say conclusively one way or the other, the fact is that a man attempting to make a living as a wood carpenter would have had a challenging time because trees were, and still are, relatively scarce in that region.

Another reason why it is most likely that Jesus and Joseph worked with stone and not wood is because Nazareth was only three miles from the ancient town of Zippori, or Sepphoris as it was called at the time. During the first century, Zippori was developing at a rapid rate under the reign of Herod Antipas and would eventually be called “The jewel of all Galilee” by Jewish historian Josephus. Herod’s massive beautification project in Zippori would have required the help of every available and skilled tekton in the surrounding area, likely including Joseph. Joseph would have been in the perfect location to commute to work, for halfway between Nazareth and Zippori was an enormous rock quarry. Regardless of whether Jesus himself worked there or not (I believe he did), he definitely visited the ancient quarry and would have seen the stones being cut by his stonemason father.

• Plus1 1