The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

11 minutes ago, Redux said:

Lol no, Ivermectin as a treatment killed nobody.  What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.  Incredible  :lol:

I guess this is the point where Disinformation takes back over the Disinformation thread?  Lolz, have at it gents. 

This is why I teased you about your inability to see the obvious - and I do mean OBVIOUS.

We're not saying the drug killed them. We're saying taking a drug with the incorrect belief that it was helpful caused the course of their disease to be worse than it otherwise would've been because they're less likely to take actual helpful measures.

How many unvaxxed people met with their family's for a BBQ believing that because they were taking Ivermectin, they were safe? How many refused to go to the hospital? How many after going to the hospital demanded Ivermectin in lieu of actual treatments? THOUSANDS.

For the last time - the danger isn't the drug itself - its the incorrect belief in the drug protecting you from a very harmful disease.

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Dooooode... get off the Rusky payroll already.

Keep your head in the sand to facts.  I understand all you care about narrative, but one day it would behoove you to open the old eyes.  You must not remember all those bombshell “if true” stories that ran for days and weeks only to get corrected later on.   No worries though 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not going back through the last several pages of circular logic.

Has the question of why Ivermectin needs to be used in the fight against covid been answered?

Why is this drug so important?

So that's gonna be a pass on answering this one.

Makes sense. There's no logical reason to push this one specific drug - other than the fact that all the right-wing conspiracy nutter sites pushed it, and that's the propaganda one chooses to believe.

It's interesting to watch an argument fall apart so many dozens of different ways, as shown by so many people.

• Plus1 3

23 minutes ago, Redux said:

There's actually been valid discussions, though some are so terrified of it that they resort to smear campaign style posts.  Nothing new though.  I'll just say this and we can all move along 

There shouldn't be such pushback or unwillingness to incorporate a safe medicine into the fight against covid if we can study it and deem it even slightly effective.  And mislabeling it as animal medecine was beyond counterproductive.

Might I add… And there shouldn’t be such push forward on a claimed “treatment” that has not been proven to treat Covid. You could literally name any existing drug and make the same unverified claims about it’s efficacy for treating Covid. Only in this case Ivermectin is worse than that because it has been tested and been found, even by the company that makes it, to not be effective against Covid. I really don’t get the preoccupation with continuing to claim it is effective. At worst it’s dangerous misinformation and at best it’s a ridiculous path down an unproven conspiracy theory.

Yes, the last 5 pages of this thread has given me cancer. I’m out.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Redux said:

Again the media coverage painted a pretty piss poor light of people's hesitancy towards masks and vaccines as a whole in favor of "horse dewormer" style journalism.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your dislike of the situation, but I do think it is considerably disingenuous to make this such a media problem while seemingly giving a pass to the large sums of people who consumed Ivermectin to treat COVID in the first place. I think you and I have now openly agreed that Ivermectin to treat COVID is currently considered an ineffective treatment, and regardless of whether or not that changes, this is currently supported by the majority of the global scientific community.

The people who were taking it a year ago did so before the national or global scientific community really even had a chance to tell them anything about it. They were picking up on it from relatively fringe (or now mostly debunked) doctors and scientific research. And even now, most doctors and scientists are saying it's not a good idea.

So, I get your disapproval of the way some parts of the media handled it, but those people rightfully deserved criticism for making bad choices.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I really don’t get the preoccupation with continuing to claim it is effective.

IMO some people in this country have developed an emotional/philosophical/political attachment to Ivermectin, and I think, in many ways, assaults on it have become akin to having any number of one's beliefs assaulted.

• Plus1 2

I don't know if Tucker Carlson is an extremist, but his brand and show are based on opposition politics and toxic narcissism, as are a lot of other political commentators' shows. We'd be better off as media consumers if people stopped paying attention to morons like that.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I don't know if Tucker Carlson is an extremist, but his brand and show are based on opposition politics and toxic narcissism, as are a lot of other political commentators' shows. We'd be better off as media consumers if people stopped paying attention to morons like that.

agree 100% -   Once I left the cult of conservative talk radio/TV, my mental health improved greatly.  When I was consumed by it I was a bit :blink: - not unlike some on this board.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

agree 100% -   Once I left the cult of conservative talk radio/TV, my mental health improved greatly.  When I was consumed by it I was a bit :blink: - not unlike some on this board.

I think that's because it's not about logic with shows like that. It's all designed to produce a chemical reaction and get you feeling a certain way about things, and human beings ultimately like to get all up in their feels about that kind of stuff.

It's a very similar reaction to the way this board's users and engagement increases during times of turmoil i.e. coaching changes.

You may also notice a lot of the people who lap up nonsense like Tucker's or Rachel Maddow's are often the same people who dunk on "the media" all the time, which is comically ironic. They're propagating and consuming the same material garbage that gives "the media" a bad name.

• Plus1 2