The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

29 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Man, it does f#&%ing suck though.... We use A LOT of fuel, and everything is $1 more a gallon than it was 5 months ago.

True.  But blaming that on Biden is idiotic. And anyone who does just is proving they are a Political hack that doesn’t care about reality.  

• Plus1 2

On 3/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, TGHusker said:

Both parties play the victim game for the good of their individual plantation.  Some say, victim politics began with FDR pleading for the cause of the poor and needy at the beginning of the depression & against the ruling class of industry and finance .  I suspect it started well before that.  William Jennings Bryawas a populist (not unlike Trump) from Nebraska who ran for president as a Democrat 3x (1896,1900, 1908) failing each time.  Like Trump he was a real character.   He used the victim card in his campaigns pitting one group vs another.  We also see the victim card being played by Southern Democrats after the Civil War - claiming unfair treatment by the federal govt during reconstruction.  The primary reason reconstruction was never really completed was because of election results & legislation that followed  that looked more favorably upon the cries of the south.  We had to wait until the 1950s and 60s for major civil rights legislation as a result of the unfinished reconstruction. 

Mcdermott is that you? Youre playing in the title game tonight and now you want another suspension? Lol jk. 

Just thought id point out that the time perios you are mentioning, the democratic party was the conservative party at the time and the republican party was the liberal party. There was a political reallignment in the 50s I believe that went along with the republicans southern strategy. Thats why it makes absolutely no sense when republicans brag about republicans being the party of Lincoln and democrats starting the KKK because if they lived during that time period they would be democrats. 

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.  But blaming that on Biden is idiotic. And anyone who does just is probing they are a Political hack that doesn’t care about reality.  

Yeah, I mostly agree. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Biden's policy/positioning on environmental issues caused the fuel prices to move a little. Again, I'm not laying it at Biden's feet....

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, I mostly agree. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Biden's policy/positioning on environmental issues caused the fuel prices to move a little. Again, I'm not laying it at Biden's feet....

No, Oil and gas prices are strictly a supply and demand issue. The Biden move that I see republicans trying to blame this on is stopping the pipeline. That’s easily proven as BS because no oil gas been taken out of the system. Oil is still being transported by the same means as before.  

this is strictly an issue of the difference in demand now compared to last summer in the middle of the pandemic. Nothing more. But, republicans will try hard with this. 

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, Oil and gas prices are strictly a supply and demand issue. The Biden move that I see republicans trying to blame this on is stopping the pipeline. That’s easily proven as BS because no oil gas been taken out of the system. Oil is still being transported by the same means as before.  

this is strictly an issue of the difference in demand now compared to last summer in the middle of the pandemic. Nothing more. But, republicans will try hard with this. 

Yes, and policy can directly affect supply. We largely agree. Laying it at Biden's feet is a political move.

• Plus1 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:00 AM, Frott Scost said:

Mcdermott is that you? Youre playing in the title game tonight and now you want another suspension? Lol jk. 

Just thought id point out that the time perios you are mentioning, the democratic party was the conservative party at the time and the republican party was the liberal party. There was a political reallignment in the 50s I believe that went along with the republicans southern strategy. Thats why it makes absolutely no sense when republicans brag about republicans being the party of Lincoln and democrats starting the KKK because if they lived during that time period they would be democrats. 

Yes, I've come to see that there was a switch / reallignment but I think it became more 'real' in the 1970s - when the southern strategy started to take hold on the GOP side.  Newt's contract wt America 1994 carved it into stone.  Remember it was Eisenhower who got the 1958 civil rights act pushed through congress and the LBJ Civil Rights act passed because it gained so many GOP votes - too many southern Dems still opposed it.  There were many southern Dem governors into the 70s that were still fighting against desegregation   .  While Nixon won by a landslide in 1972, there were elements of the southern strategy in his speeches but not actually in how the campaign was run as he won in a landslide against McGovern.  Ford was establishment GOP all the way and running against Jimmy Carter, there was no hope he'd win the south. Reagan didn't need a southern strategy as he won nation wide wt two landslides.  I think Lee Atwater, and GHWB really relied on the southern strategy  in the presidential race in 1988 and it has been a part of the GOP game plan ever since.  

Tucker, the new Trump??   Sure, why not. They are both dirt bags full of hot wind and falsehoods and know how to manipulate and grab the headlines. 

https://view.newsletters.cnn.com/messages/1615765705261dcd683330d7f/raw?utm_term=1615765705261dcd683330d7f&utm_source=cnn_Reliable+Sources+-+March+14+2021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1615765705262&bt_ee=cBw8YNDDQqbyphBdXSISnyzW7QZ7Kd4Z2m0CtlaJ4xs%3D&bt_ts=1615765705262

Tucker Carlson has taken President Trump's place in the media firmament.

Is that a compliment or a condemnation? Depends on your POV.

But the similarities between the two men are striking. Every weekday, Carlson throws bombs, makes online memes, offends millions of people, delights millions of others, taps into White male rage and resentment, stokes distrust of Big Tech and the media, coarsens the public discourse, never apologizes for anything and -- perhaps most importantly -- sets the GOP's agenda.

Sounds like a recently retired president, right? Carlson starts fires, stirs outrage, and stokes Fox's ratings, all with Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch's encouragement. "In some ways, he's smarter than Trump," S.E. Cupp said on "Reliable Sources." Her impression is that the Murdochs "are relieved that the GOP no longer wants to tackle substance and policy and just wants to live in culture wars," i.e. Carlson's speciality.

I led Sunday's show with this discussion because Carlson is causing the same debates that Trump did, and the same predicaments for newsrooms: When, and how, and how much, to cover his claims. Don't forget about the prospect of "Tucker 2024..."

• Plus1 1

Biden's been in office less than two months and people are blaming him for the price at the pump? That price is set weeks or months in advance based mostly on crude oil prices. Crude goes up, hits the refineries, gets out to the gas stations, that price wave follows along.

Fig2.png

We want journalism to be accurate. When, inevitably, it commits an error, unbiased news will issue a correction, as WaPo did in this instance.

That doesn't mean all errors are corrected or all errors are in good faith. But when they're made and owned up to, it is DEFINITELY bad faith for wingnuts like Madison Cawthorn to claim everything reported about trump's call to the Georgia election officials wasn't criminal.

Dorks!

• Plus1 1