The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

On 7/28/2018 at 9:16 AM, commando said:

sometime in the future....

DjLRHqwV4AA-L1t.jpg

Related:   I guess the quality of our education or maybe it is the quality of our students over time - just don't get it - Read the Bill of Rights!!  # 1 is freedom of the press.

Once they take that away - THEN they can come after the freedoms you hold dear - including the one that the Republicans hold as a holy grail - 2nd Amendment.   Do away

with the free press, then the next president can come and do away wt the 2nd amendment.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-poll-43-of-republicans-want-to-give-trump-the-power-to-shut-down-media

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed.

Republicans were far more likely to take a negative view of the media. Forty-eight percent of them said they believed “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (just 28 percent disagreed) while nearly four out of every five (79 percent) said that they believed “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.”

“Swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well.”

But swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed). Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (74 percent and 50 percent, respectively, disagreed)

The concept of an enemy press corps has become a staple of Trump’s tweets and public utterances in recent months. Much of it appears prompted by stories about internal frictions within the White House and a growing fear over the state of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign.

• Plus1 2

i am laughing and crying because it's so accurate

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/23/trump-michael-cohen-broad-daylight?__twitter_impression=true

Tweet from @realDonaldTrump:

“Michael Cohen said he would take a bullet for me. So NO MURDER! And NO COLLUSION!! WITCH HUNTS! Worse than SALEM!!! Never should have let CRIMINAL Comey (lousy writer to! book sales DOWN!) talk me out of executing KILLIN’ Hillary…”

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, commando said:

i am laughing and crying because it's so accurate

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/23/trump-michael-cohen-broad-daylight?__twitter_impression=true

Tweet from @realDonaldTrump:

“Michael Cohen said he would take a bullet for me. So NO MURDER! And NO COLLUSION!! WITCH HUNTS! Worse than SALEM!!! Never should have let CRIMINAL Comey (lousy writer to! book sales DOWN!) talk me out of executing KILLIN’ Hillary…”

I was confused when I first read this post. For clarification: the link is a fictional account of what would happen if Trump shot Cohen in midtown Manhattan.

The NewsGuard service has rated Fox News as a healthy part of the news diet.

I've been intrigued about NewsGuard ever since it was announced and, judging by the criteria they've laid out for determining what makes a website trustworthy/untrustworthy, Fox News meets most of the criteria for a 'green' website. However, they do point out it fails in regularly correcting or clarifying errors (which seems like... you know... kind of a big deal), a lack of website ownership/disclosure information and an inconsistency in reporting potential conflicts of interest.

NewsGuard also points out it only judges an outlet's website, not a TV channel. However, most astute web users will know that Fox News regularly streams their shows on the front page, as do other networks.

Although I mostly agree with how NewsGuard rated the sites they've evaluated so far, I don't know enough about the methodology and how they weight the different factors. I think this article's author brings up a good point:

But look, I’m not here to complain about Fox News. Whatever your opinion of the network, it’s unlikely to be changed by me or by NewsGuard. I’m not even here to particularly complain about NewsGuard. They’re trying to attack a real problem in misinformation; they’re doing interesting work that I enjoyed exploring.

But the upside of this sort of labeling — a quick way to make a judgment at a glance — is in direct tension with the nuance modern media literacy requires. Especially if you want to help “readers and viewers know which [sites] are trying to do legitimate journalism — and which are not.”

Here is Fox News' official rating:

newsguard-fox-news-ratings.png

• knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine