The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is amazing.   Butttttttt   Trump & Hannity complain that soc media is snuffing out 'conservative' message.   First they have redefined the  conservative.   Conservative to them now equals far right.  Reagan would be a moderate like Jeff Flake and others who oppose Trump.  Reagan would have been a 'Never Trumper'.   

But this is an important part of the article. It shows how if one reads on a steady diet of Hannity, Rush, and then more extreme Shapiro that it eventually leads to something deeper. That is the case of any political ideology.  When you shut the door to hearing the other side and the other side becomes the enemy, you open the door to being 'radicalized'  and you don't even know it - deception.   Back in my college days, I started to attend a particular Bible Study that met in Sioux Falls.  They would listen to bible teaching tapes (cassettes - for you young guys that is what came after 8 tracks and before CDs which came before mp3 players - yes I'm old) and one by one they dropped bible teachers from their 'approved list'.  Eventually this group settled on one guy.  The group ended up moving to Lakeland Florida to follow Charles Meade (look it up).  I had several good friends who got caught up in the group and left family and college behind to follow this 'end time' cult leader.  Well politics is the same way.  We deceive ourselves into thinking our way is the only way.  Too many are following the cult of Trump and that is what it has become - a violent cult (always in words but too often physically as well - as noted in  Knapp's thread on the topic). 

One can free him/her self from this cult.  I did.  All it took was a willingness to hear and listen ... to the 'other side' and humility to admit "I might be wrong." 

Evans found that the majority of these users believe they were radicalized by consuming online content — and, among those users, “YouTube seems to be the single most frequently discussed website.” Specifically, Evans writes, “15 out of 75 fascist activists we studied credited YouTube videos with their red-pilling.”

The radicalization process these users describe is interesting. It’s not that they logged on to YouTube and immediately started watching hardcore racist videos. Rather, they started by watching content from conservative YouTube stars like Ben Shapiro, people who are far-right by mainstream standards but tame by alt-right ones. These people helped them connect to further-right figures, and eventually converted them to the far-right.

“I was a moderate republican once. It was people [on the fringe of the mainstream right] that got me to where I am now,” wrote one Discord user in Evans’s report. “That’s why I like those groups even still, because if we just had the Fascists, we’d never convert anyone.”

19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is amazing.   Butttttttt   Trump & Hannity complain that soc media is snuffing out 'conservative' message.   First they have redefined the  conservative.   Conservative to them now equals far right.  Reagan would be a moderate like Jeff Flake and others who oppose Trump.  Reagan would have been a 'Never Trumper'.   

Good post TG.  To the point I quoted.  We have seen this on this board.  I have been accused of being a leftist liberal.  But, when I asked what the person claims is a conservative, they admitted the definition of "conservative" has been changed.

Well.....that pretty much shows that I didn't leave the Republican Party, it left me.

The constant barrage of propaganda from various types of media has a profound affect on people.

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good post TG.  To the point I quoted.  We have seen this on this board.  I have been accused of being a leftist liberal.  But, when I asked what the person claims is a conservative, they admitted the definition of "conservative" has been changed.

Well.....that pretty much shows that I didn't leave the Republican Party, it left me.

The constant barrage of propaganda from various types of media has a profound affect on people.

Yes, there are some newer posters here who didn't know our 'before' life and simply cast us into the 'left of center' side because we don't agree with Trump or his ways.  This is the new litmus test of party fellowship.  Too many repubs that I know are shocked when I bring up an opposing view.  It is disheartening to know that the Repub party was actually trying to broaden its tent before 2016 when Trump came along and narrowed it.  The party had a pretty diverse group running in 2016 - different races and also a well qualified business woman.  But one thing they lacked - diversity of thought.  Those outside of Trump were almost thought clones of one another.  This allowed  the 'outlier'  - Trump - to present a radical nationalistic message that differentiated himself from the rest.  He was able to pick off one candidate after another because the 15 others as a group did not come out and attack and kill the philosophy that Trump embraced.  Strong words and strong leaders where  needed to take down a violent philosophy. None were found. Rubio wimped out and others feared Trump's base.    They instead  rejoiced as one of their cloned rivals was dismissed by voters wrongly thinking it would make them stronger.  By that time the cancer had spread far and ride and the nomination was Trump's and he was stronger than the last 2 standing - Cruz and Kasich.  

It is possible to agree wt a Trump policy but not care for his leadership on it.   A dead clock can be correct 2x a day.  Trump may agree with some core conservative policies and actually be correct. If that is the case, I will speak up for the policy but not for him. 

• Plus1 3

It's been a while since we talked about Megyn Kelly in these parts. 

NBC seems to have failed utterly in bringing her on board.  She showed them who she was while at Fox, and now they're going to have to pay through the nose to get rid of her.

When you lie down with dogs...

• knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine