The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Change "Trump" to "Hillary" and you have what a heck of a lot of people were saying 4 years ago.

No one expected Hillary to tear down the very structure of the government. If anything she was expected to entrench Washington even further into bureaucracy.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That also typically is said about someone who is saying something, that everyone understands, but doesn't agree with.  That doesn't mean they "don't wan to hear it" or that you are right.

Of course I'm right. C'mon, BRB. Have you ever known me to be wrong?  :D

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How about this?  I agree with you that everyone should vote for Biden so we don't have Trump.  That still doesn't eliminate the need for Biden to be out convincing every single person of that just to make sure he wins in a landslide and not just by squeaking by...or god forbid, loses.

I will be voting for him.  But, he still needs to be helping convince everyone else.

I don't disagree. And of course he will be (and has been) doing this.

Just now, RedDenver said:

The responsible thing to do would be NOT NOMINATE the sack of moldy potatoes!! Because if the moldy sack of potatoes gets the nomination, it's going to be much, much more difficult to defeat Trump.

And you're simply ignoring that there are going to be voters for whom the default vote of moldy potatoes isn't enough to get them to come out and vote. They just don't dislike Trump as much as you want them to. They need to be convinced to both vote and vote for moldy potatoes.

Well, he's won by far the majority of votes so we're kinda stuck with him, right?

I mean, the bottom line right now is Biden's won, and Bernie's path to victory is all but mathematically eliminated. Right?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Well, he's won by far the majority of votes so we're kinda stuck with him, right?

I mean, the bottom line right now is Biden's won, and Bernie's path to victory is all but mathematically eliminated. Right?

Yep, but now you've got some number of potential Biden voters who are more or less saying to themselves, "I tried to stop you from nominating the moldy potatoes, but you went and did it anyway! Why should I now vote for moldy potatoes that I did not want from the get go?"

Your approach of telling them they're voting for Trump if they don't vote moldy potatoes is counter-productive IMO. It's antagonistic and based on faulty logic, which undermines whatever else you're going to say to them. Giving them reasons to spend the effort to vote moldy potatoes is what needs to happen instead. And it's not on you to do that (although you can), but rather on moldy potatoes to get out there and show why voting for him is worth the effort.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yep, but now you've got some number of potential Biden voters who are more or less saying to themselves, "I tried to stop you from nominating the moldy potatoes, but you went and did it anyway!

Let's keep in mind that Biden is getting the nomination because more voters voted for him.  The "you" in the "you went and did it anyway" is Democrat voters choosing the person they most want in the White House.

Why should I now vote for moldy potatoes that I did not want from the get go?"

Everyone has a different view of who the moldy potatoes are. For the majority, that's Bernie.

Your approach of telling them they're voting for Trump if they don't vote moldy potatoes is counter-productive IMO. It's antagonistic and based on faulty logic, which undermines whatever else you're going to say to them. Giving them reasons to spend the effort to vote moldy potatoes is what needs to happen instead. And it's not on you to do that (although you can), but rather on moldy potatoes to get out there and show why voting for him is worth the effort.

This sums up the Bernie 2020 campaign pretty well. Maybe you're right and I should be more constructive in my discourse.

Let's keep in mind that Biden is getting the nomination because more voters voted for him.  The "you" in the "you went and did it anyway" is Democrat voters choosing the person they most want in the White House.

Yes, I thought that was clear.

Everyone has a different view of who the moldy potatoes are. For the majority, that's Bernie.

Yep, and we'd be having a similar discussion but with the voting blocks reversed if Bernie was running away with the nomination.

This sums up the Bernie 2020 campaign pretty well.

I strongly disagree that sums up the Bernie campaign, but you're claiming it does reminds me of how Iowa fans act after beating Nebraska. Doesn't make me any more favorably inclined towards Iowa or their team, just the opposite in fact.

Maybe you're right and I should be more constructive in my discourse.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's the better way to get mores votes for Biden.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

So when moldy potatoes loses we already have the stage set to blame the voters for not voting correctly.  Incredible.

It'll be the least surprising reaction ever. Hopefully it'll be limited to the media and Dem establishment and not the Biden voters, but I'm often disappointed when it comes to politics.

I just think it's crap people are giving the Dems a pass and already resorting to blaming the voters a half a year ahead of time.  They had 4yrs to come up with someone, they had an entire caucus to promote a contender.  Not only did they fail, they ate themselves alive.

Part of me (The tinfoil hat side) thinks they don't want to win this one just so that after 4 more years of Trump it will be that much easier to get AOC elected.  Because that's the ultimate goal.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

I just think it's crap people are giving the Dems a pass and already resorting to blaming the voters a half a year ahead of time.  They had 4yrs to come up with someone, they had an entire caucus to promote a contender.  Not only did they fail, they ate themselves alive.

Part of me thinks they don't want to win this one just so that after 4 more years of Trump it will be that much easier to get AOC elected.  Because that's the ultimate goal.

I think you could be right about what THEY want...but I am guessing AOC will be much happier making 25 million a year as a host of some show.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'll be voting for Biden, but I do agree with this.

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

Part of me thinks they don't want to win this one just so that after 4 more years of Trump it will be that much easier to get AOC elected.  Because that's the ultimate goal.

Really?

AOC was tending bar 4 years ago.  While she was a commoner and on no ones radar, the DNC did what they could to make campaigning difficult for Sanders, who AOC would closely align with.  If you think life in the DNC is hard for Bernie, you ain't seen nothing yet!

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I love how the conversation here revolves around no one believing there is a possibility Biden comes out and curbstomps Trump.

There's going to be plenty of crow being eaten if that happens.

I would believe anything, honestly. Trump's had years to figure out how to rig this election. Russia already influenced 2016 and Trump & McConnell have blocked all attempts to shore up the defenses of our elections. Voter suppression is such a vital part of the Republican strategy they're just talking about it openly these days. 

Having said all that, I think there are a LOT of people fed up with all the criming Trump's done the past four years and they'll stop at nothing to vote against him.  So maybe.

I would love an absolute curb-stomping of Trumpism. Basically the entire nation saying "We're not OK with trolling as a major part of your politics." 

• Plus1 1
  • knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine