The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

Interesting article by a left of center former state dept  guy who decided to spend a week listening, reading and watching only Trump endorsed content.    He didn't go :ahhhhhhhh but his 2  last sentences below show he got close. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-spent-a-week-down-the-right-wing-media-rabbit-hole-and-was-mesmerized-by-it

Fourth, OAN–the newest media outlet to join the fray–is more dangerous than I believed in 2018 when I tweeted that its emergence was not to be ignored. It by far creates the most web content. Between the volume and the steady tenor, it can easily feel like one-stop shopping.

More than any perceived media bias, what informs one’s worldview is their own personal virus. Could Fox, OAN and The Daily Caller have actually convinced me of anything? Highly unlikely. But if you are predisposed to believing rogue elements are exaggerating if not outright concocting the source and lethality of a pandemic–or election interference, or graft–you are already doing the hard part yourself. There are some people who can be conned and some who cannot. Con artists can smell the difference, whether it’s the scent of gullibility, desperation, or being all-too-eager. People who believe what a con artist tells them want to believe it. 

As a State Department official I traveled to 111 countries. Add a couple dozen more on my own. All felt less foreign than the parallel universe I visited for a week.

When it was over I was left with one overarching thought: if someone develops an ingestible disinfectant, I volunteer for clinical trials.

It may be the only way to cleanse my soul.

One poster under the story on yahoo posted this:

question should be...did trump say anything that was true?

January 29: Peter Navarro warned his colleagues at the White House that if the administration did not mount an aggressive containment strategy for the coronavirus, it could kill more than half a million Americans and cost the country nearly $6 trillion.
February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
Feb. 10, Trump/Fox Business interview:
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."
February 23: Navarro distributed an even more dire second memo in which he said as many as 100 million Americans could be infected with COVID-19, which might kill upwards of 2 million U.S. citizens.
February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
March 2: “A lot of things are happening; a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What? The guy is pointing out Trump is talking nonsense.

No...he said "Trump said a President can do this" meaning...it is okay for Obama to do it...meaning that he is saying that Trump was correct, that a president can do it.

He is agreeing with what Trump said to now use it against him.  It is brilliant because he is "agreeing" with Trump and now used it to show that Obama didn't do anything wrong, according to Trump's words.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

No...he said "Trump said a President can do this" meaning...it is okay for Obama to do it...meaning that he is saying that Trump was correct, that a president can do it.

He is agreeing with what Trump said to now use it against him.  It is brilliant because he is "agreeing" with Trump and now used it to show that Obama didn't do anything wrong, according to Trump's words.

No, he's pointing out that Trump is saying one thing for himself and the opposite for Obama. You don't have to agree with Trump to point out his hypocrisy.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

No, he's pointing out that Trump is saying one thing for himself and the opposite for Obama. You don't have to agree with Trump to point out his hypocrisy.

I think you are missing the comedy value of what he was doing in that segment.  

21 minutes ago, QMany said:

I still can't believe people watch her and Fox News, it is a disgrace.

Worst thing about this isn't even the fact she disagrees with KD and Lebron. It's that she straight up doesn't think they should voice an opinion. How un-American is that? I don't see many people saying "Shut up and throw the ball, Brees", but I do see a lot of people saying his Black teammates need to talk to him and educate him on what the kneeling actually means to them.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine