The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really wish major publications would leave dirtbags like Jones & the Charlottesville Nazi gang in the shadows where they belong. Stop giving these idiots the airtime they crave. No one needs to read a profile on Alex Jones. The more pub that jerk gets, the longer he'll be able to monetize his nonsense.

• Plus1 1

Guy does 15 hours of Fox & Friends 3 days in a row. Predictably comes away feeling pushed to be afraid & angry at everything.

Honestly, I can't stomach actually watching their nonsense. But this is a fantastically done piece & I salute him for doing so. I thought it was interesting he jokingly called them the most important TV show in America. But then, if the president watches it every day & if it becomes the lens through which he interprets the rest of the world, is he wrong?

A couple of select excerpts:

8 AM: Laura Ingraham joins the hosts on the couch! She opens by joking about a homeless person outside the studio. They play the Ditka tape again. The hosts and Ingraham love it.

Watching the show is like dropping down a bottomless pit. Eventually, you no longer feel like you're falling—the constant whoosh of half-truths and gleefully delivered apocalyptic provocations becomes your new equilibrium. It no longer matters what the story is or where it comes from—above you or below you, left or right—it feels like it is coming for you. It's news as a planet-covering hurricane of hatred and misfortune heading right toward your family, with outrage as the only available defense.

Back for more tomorrow!

----------

They play a clip of Newt Gingrich talking about the NFL from last night's Hannity. Newt rails against the selfish players who are dividing our great country.

And here's the dark contradiction at the heart of Fox & Friends: We're reminded constantly that America is the greatest nation ever to grace Planet Earth, yet somehow, everything that happens here is awful. Every story, every issue, is framed as an existential attack on a perfectly virtuous, perfectly imaginary America.

I let out a guttural screech after realizing that only seven minutes of the hour have gone by. This show is hell.

7 AM: Newt stops by in person to deliver the same anti-NFL player talking points.

I don't remember anything else that happened during this hour. It's all war, dangerous minorities, and the end of American values.

The unsettling message of Fox & Friends is depressingly clear by now: Everything is out to get you, forever. Dark forces beyond your control will destroy everything you love. And there's nothing you can do.

Nihilism has never been filmed with such soft lighting.

• Plus1 2
On 10/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, knapplc said:

Click image to embiggen.

aqaNZpR.png

That is amazing.  I was surprised that CBS was so low.  Not sure why that is the case.  Fox basically is the 'propaganda arm' of the administration. The Pravda if you will.  Fox has been building for this for decades.  Hannity should have been appointed the spokesperson for the admin.    I wonder where NPR would fit in this analysis?  Too small of a following to make it one way or another.

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well the day of playing nice in the world of news is long gone.  Yes, news gathering and presentation (print, radio, TV, etc) has always been cut throat but back in the day - at least their was respect shown among the top 3 networks - Can't imagine Walter Chronkite having this tweet war with Huntley, Brinkley, Reynolds etc.  (O'Reilly should remember the proverb of "Glass Houses")

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Oh f#*k you, Fox News and your naked complicity in the rise of American fascism.

God, tribalism has gotten sooooo bad.

1. Kelly was branded a liar because he lied. He did so in the service of Trump to try to give him cover. Even though he is a Gold Star father and a general, a spade should be called a spade. 

2. I haven't seen a single person call his criticism racist. It's just disingenuous because he lied.

3. This whole kerfuffle just reset the parameters to create a permission structure for GOP pols/voters to blame Democrats (again) instead of questioning why these soldiers died & Trump's subsequent actions (i.e., golfing instead of reaching out promptly to these families).

• Plus1 1
  • knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine