The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

I've become very patient with the language barriers. I was fortunate enough to help out at the CCC building in GI where they help immigrants learn english. It was for my service learning project early in my college career at the beginning of the TE program. I learned a lot about these people and I had a blast interacting with them. English is super super hard to learn especially as a second language. The learning process takes a long long time and these people WANT to learn. It's just hard to do so in a quick fashion.

So I'm ok with there being spanish on instructions and all that. As long as they are proactive and making the attempt to learn "our" language which in my opinion a very high percentage of them do want to.

• Fire 2

and that at some point the Trump Administration is going to push for English to be America's official language.

I could see this happening as well....since 31 States already have designated English as the official language of their respective State.

It's not something I would be against, either. I don't know the reasoning behind not having an official language. We clearly speak English as a primary language, so why not make it official?

As long as we don't stop making information available in other languages for people who haven't learned English yet, what's the issue?

When my ancestors came to America, they would work during the day, then take government-sponsored English language courses at night. I heard the same story from my in-laws about their parents. It makes sense to me to do that.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Obviously, we speak English 1st in this country. However, only if the bolded part above is true.

My problem is I can see then people pushing for the US NOT providing these in other languages and their proof of why would be this law.

You travel to any developed country and a large portion of the population is bilingual. Americans are so arrogant they think it's an insult to say we should learn another language to be able to communicate with certain people.

People who are against immigration, will use this law to push their agenda.

• Fire 1

and that at some point the Trump Administration is going to push for English to be America's official language.

I could see this happening as well....since 31 States already have designated English as the official language of their respective State.

It's not something I would be against, either. I don't know the reasoning behind not having an official language. We clearly speak English as a primary language, so why not make it official?

As long as we don't stop making information available in other languages for people who haven't learned English yet, what's the issue?

When my ancestors came to America, they would work during the day, then take government-sponsored English language courses at night. I heard the same story from my in-laws about their parents. It makes sense to me to do that.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Obviously, we speak English 1st in this country. However, only if the bolded part above is true.

My problem is I can see then people pushing for the US NOT providing these in other languages and their proof of why would be this law.

You travel to any developed country and a large portion of the population is bilingual. Americans are so arrogant they think it's an insult to say we should learn another language to be able to communicate with certain people.

People who are against immigration, will use this law to push their agenda.

That's definitely the danger with moves like Trump's. It disenfranchises people when they're so obviously put off. A Spanish-language page on the White House website is a logistical piece of cake. There's zero excuse for not having that Day One.

I've become very patient with the language barriers. I was fortunate enough to help out at the CCC building in GI where they help immigrants learn english. It was for my service learning project early in my college career at the beginning of the TE program. I learned a lot about these people and I had a blast interacting with them. English is super super hard to learn especially as a second language. The learning process takes a long long time and these people WANT to learn. It's just hard to do so in a quick fashion.

So I'm ok with there being spanish on instructions and all that. As long as they are proactive and making the attempt to learn "our" language which in my opinion a very high percentage of them do want to.

That's been my experience, too. Throughout my life, both in Nebraska & when I lived in California. People want to retain the culture they grew up with in their native country, but they want to assimilate to America, too. They came here for a reason, but not every part of their native country was bad. It's why we have the Czech Festival, Cinco de Mayo parades, heck - even St. Patrick's Day parades.

Even migrant workers, who intend to go home after the growing season, assimilate some. Kind of a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of thing.

• Fire 1

English is super super hard to learn especially as a second language.

This echoes what my Spanish teacher in high school told us. She said that Spanish and most other languages are a lot easier to learn because there a lot more patterns in those languages to pick up on than there are in English.

I guess those of us that learned English as our first language should feel lucky...

Psychological warfare: https://medium.com/@sarahcpr/this-is-psychological-warfare-dc5beb8dde54#.pi5fpvs38

This is how he’s going to chip away at our understanding of what’s right and what’s wrong, what’s real and what’s not. This is even stronger, more powerful gas lighting — making us question our own instincts and even start doing things because we want to fit in with “everyone else” who from what we know, seem to think this is all fine.

Brought to you by Trump's clapping minstrels.

I give a talk every year to our local HS seniors about what employers look for in hiring and what they need to do after HS (not just college) to make themselves more employable.

One thing I stress is how much more valuable a bilingual person is in the work place. If you take a kid with a business degree with identical resumes but one is bilingual and the other has the attitude of..."I live in America, we speak English"....which one do you think is more valuable to that company....especially if they are an international company.

Americans have got to get this attitude out of their heads.

As for immigrants. I agree with you Coach. These people are smart enough to know that if they learn English living here is much easier. Their kids are amazingly bilingual and it's very impressive.

• Fire 1

With all of the Fake News running rampant through the world, Dear Leader has kindly provided us with a way to know which sources are not fake: campaign-style press clippings from Team Trump show where Real News comes from:

Your Trump-endorsed Real News sources:

ABC News (specifically, Jonathan Karl)

Fox News (specifically, Sean Hannity)

Chicago Tribune

The Wall Street Journal

USA Today

The Atlantic

Detroit News

Rasmussen Reports

Reuters

Washington Examiner

The Daily Signal

Politico

We'll update this as the endorsements roll in. What a time to be alive!

Seriously - just how small must his below the belt Mr. Trump be?

I would imagine the White House's Spanish-language page coming down isn't an accident, and that at some point the Trump Administration is going to push for English to be America's official language.

No imagining. The website is built on Drupal which makes multi-language easier than ever. Drupal is what Yahoo.com and literally every online newspaper uses for content-sites. I am totally serious when I say it was way MORE work for them to REMOVE Spanish support from the site than to have kept it.

The ACLU did a write-up on this a few years ago but I'm not finding the piece. IIRC, the main issues with having an official language was it was impossible to prevent this trampling the Bill of RIghts & Civil Liberties. Would it be illegal to speak non-English at home? Would it be conspiracy if two people conversed in non-English on the street in public? With how laws & our legal system works, it would be almost impossible to implement these types of limits at the Federal level. By comparison, the ACLU actually supported this being a States' right to determine as well... I will post it if I find it.

With all of the Fake News running rampant through the world, Dear Leader has kindly provided us with a way to know which sources are not fake: campaign-style press clippings from Team Trump show where Real News comes from:

Your Trump-endorsed Real News sources:

ABC News (specifically, Jonathan Karl)

Fox News (specifically, Sean Hannity)

Chicago Tribune

The Wall Street Journal

USA Today

The Atlantic

Detroit News

Rasmussen Reports

Reuters

Washington Examiner

The Daily Signal

Politico

We'll update this as the endorsements roll in. What a time to be alive!

Seriously - just how small must his below the belt Mr. Trump be?

While I am obviously not a member of that group, there are many on this board that are. On their behalf, I take offense to you casting dispersions on the members of the below-the-belt-magnitudinally-challenged demographic based on the actions of one person (Trump). /sarcasm

• Fire 3
  • knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine