The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is pretty reminiscent of the strategy by Sinclair media, who explicitly cut a deal with the Trump campaign for "fair coverage" prior to the 2016 election, of pushing must-run opinion segments featuring Trump burnout Boris Epshteyn fluffing Trump with this same type of crap.

The problem is they run these segments in the middle of local news. Implying it's fact-based and not opinion.

Unrealistic Conservatives People sure love to complain about the liberal media bias but the conservative/Republican media powers that be sure have some pretty dark aspirations, too, iMO.

FFA, and honestly, any time one of these morons complains about "liberal media bias" it's a combination of willful ignorance and projection. 

Then again, let's not forget that things like facts are anathema to the current GOP platform. So of course any fact-finding that can be supported by evidence is going to be considered 'liberal'. 

• Plus1 2

An interesting discussion over on 538:

How Has Fox News Changed In The Trump Era?

This exchange towards the end reflects my own views on the issues with Fox News:

clare.malone: I do think that we’ve got a problem for democracy with what’s going on at Fox News because it does spread misinformation and disinformation. And liberal democracies do best when they’ve got an educated citizenry. And he fact that journalistic lines have been blurred so completely there is a real harm. I’m not sure what happens with Fox.

jay.rosen: The implications are that 30 percent of the electorate is being isolated in an information loop of its own, and increasingly do not live in the same world as the rest of the voters.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They shouldn’t be allowed to have the word “news” in the name of their channel, imo.

In Canada, if they were broadcasting from within the Country, they wouldn't be allowed to.

Only way Fox News is able to avoid Canadian laws about misinforming the public is that they're broadcast into Canada via Satellite communication from the United States and don't have a domestic (to Canada) broadcasting presence. 

• Plus1 1

As I was at the gym last night it struck me again. Every gym I have ever been to always have Fox News on. Sometimes MSNBC, and CNN too, but always Fox. Places I visit for work... Fox News is on the lobby. Doctor's offices... Fox. The bank... Fox.

It's crazy. When I was a kid it was CNN, which in the 90s was fairly neutral I think (and the only cabel news network really). Now it's like the majority of people only consume one s#!tty source of news.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Fox is not "the press." If they're a propaganda arm, they are a political tool, like a PAC. They don't deserve the same protections and privileges as actual news sources.

I agree with you.

However, I think this is a mistake by the Dems.  This is their chance to have their own words on Fox in front of the audience that only watches them because they've been convinced it's the only place they are supposed to get their news.

The talking propaganda heads are going to say whatever they're going to say no matter if the debate is actually on the channel or not.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with you.

However, I think this is a mistake by the Dems.  This is their chance to have their own words on Fox in front of the audience that only watches them because they've been convinced it's the only place they are supposed to get their news.

The talking propaganda heads are going to say whatever they're going to say no matter if the debate is actually on the channel or not.

Not 100% sure how to feel, but I think I agree with this.

The other thing is it might be better for them to let a pretend news station like Fox keep pretending to be news and cover them the same than to make this move, because now it opens the floodgates for conservatives to do the same to legitimate news media.

42 minutes ago, ZRod said:

As I was at the gym last night it struck me again. Every gym I have ever been to has always has Fox News on. Sometimes MSNBC, and CNN too, but always Fox. Places I visit for work... Fox News is on the lobby. Doctor's offices... Fox. The bank... Fox.

It's crazy. When I was a kid it was CNN, which in the 90s was fairly neutral I think (and the only cabel news network really). Now it's like the majority of people only consume one s#!tty source of news.

I've noticed this too.  Doctor's offices, Gym, Airports, Bars (if it's not on sports), hotel lobbies while you're eating breakfast.......if they're on a "news" channel, it's always Fox.

I've developed a theory about this.  Fox loyalists are adamant that they should only watch Fox to get their news.  So...when they turn it on, they make damn sure it's on that channel.  If it happens to be on something else, eventually they will get it changed.  Most other people aren't so bold to demand the channel is changed.  So....it just ends up staying on that channel.  After a while, whomever manages the place, then thinks...well, that must be what people want to watch.

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with you.

This could be true. It could also be a wake-up call to the casual Fox viewers that something is wrong and they should re-evaluate their sources of information.

Of course, self-reflection isn't the hallmark of a Fox viewer, so I'm not holding my breath.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with you.

Part of the problem is that the Fox hosts get to ask the questions, which means they can frame how the question is asked. But I tend to agree that the Dems need to be bold and go on Fox. At the very least, it allows discussion after the fact about how Fox framed the debate and the questions.

Covering the race and candidates is NOT the same as hosting a debate and devising questions. Deciding to not give Fox the chance to host a debate is not "excluding members of the press." It's making a decision that a network that solely exists to sh#t on Democrats and push out Trump propaganda 95% of the time isn't automatically worth of hosting part of your primary process.

It's unfortunate that this will result in a giant chunk of the right-leaning electorate who don't watch anything but Fox not hearing from candidates themselves. But if you're a religious Fox viewer, I'm not sure your political opinions are flexible enough to vote for a Democrat anyway. Maybe the galaxy brains calling the shots at Fox should reflect for a second about how we got here.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Part of the problem is that the Fox hosts get to ask the questions, which means they can frame how the question is asked. But I tend to agree that the Dems need to be bold and go on Fox. At the very least, it allows discussion after the fact about how Fox framed the debate and the questions.

Well....not that I want to defend Fox.  But, having a Fox host asking the questions isn't much different than Donna Brazile asking questions she provided to one side of the debate.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....not that I want to defend Fox.  But, having a Fox host asking the questions isn't much different than Donna Brazile asking questions she provided to one side of the debate.

I disagree. Brazille giving out questions ahead of time is far more problematic than Fox framing the questions to Dems. Fox News also gave Trump questions in advance, which is at least as problematic as Brazille doing it.

• knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine