The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

There actually was a terror attack in Sweden (last month) and it was under reported by our aweful media here in the US.

However, despite widespread debunking of his claims, it has since emerged a largely underreported attack did, in fact, occur last month.

Three suspected neo-Nazis were arrested in January after a Gothenburg Asylum centre became the target of a homemade bomb attack, leaving one person seriously injured.

Security services said all three suspects had previously been members of the Nordic Resistance Movement (NMR), a group that openly promotes racist and anti-Semitic views and has vocally opposed non-white immigration to the country.

The Swedish intelligence service Säpo said the incident on 5 January, which was also linked to two others in Gothenburg in recent months, appeared to be politically motivated.

There actually was a terror attack in Sweden (last month) and it was under reported by our aweful media here in the US.

However, despite widespread debunking of his claims, it has since emerged a largely underreported attack did, in fact, occur last month.

Three suspected neo-Nazis were arrested in January after a Gothenburg Asylum centre became the target of a homemade bomb attack, leaving one person seriously injured.

Security services said all three suspects had previously been members of the Nordic Resistance Movement (NMR), a group that openly promotes racist and anti-Semitic views and has vocally opposed non-white immigration to the country.

The Swedish intelligence service Säpo said the incident on 5 January, which was also linked to two others in Gothenburg in recent months, appeared to be politically motivated.

Too bad Trump didn't know that or he'd have made the media look dumb (except for his being wrong about the attack occurring yesterday). He instead went with the vague response of Swedish immigration is bad.

Too bad Trump didn't know that or he'd have made the media look dumb (except for his being wrong about the attack occurring yesterday). He instead went with the vague response of Swedish immigration is bad.

He could've, but this is also part of a much broader pattern of Trump being unable to call out right-wing extremism. You can trace it all the way back to his rallies and his complete reluctance to put any blame for any of the chaos at his rallies on his supporters.

This is most likely since it would cause a disruption of his narrative and the Muslim fear-mongering he loves to push so much.

• 3 months later...

One of Dear Leader's favorite sources, Fox News, has had to retract a story they ran smearing Seth Rich, the now-deceased former DNC staffer who was murdered in July of 2016.

Fox - and most specifically Sean Hannity - have been peddling a conspiracy theory that Rich sent "thousands" of emails to WikiLeaks. The story is unsubstantiated drivel, but Fox has been running with it - usually at the expense of covering other stories, like Trump's possible crimes.

Today Fox retracted the story. Not sure if that covers Hannity too, or if another retraction is forthcoming. Or maybe Hannity will double down on his claims. Who knows.

Statement on coverage of Seth Rich murder investigation

On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed.

We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.

All news organizations get stories wrong. Comes with the territory.

Not all news organizations actively push conspiracy theories to cover up actual, factual news. This is just sad.

EDIT - will Sean Hannity chill out with this story? LOLOLOL NOOOOOPE!

• Fire 1

Our little small town has a woman who lives here that is in her 50s. This lady's drama plays out on facebook. Every time she is angry at someone, doesn't like her job or her boss...etc., she posts angry posts.....then she wonders why she can't find a job here.

These people are the national version of her.

They just have no clue.....

• Fire 1

I'll be interested in seeing whether this retraction covers a talking head like Hannity or not.

Once again, it can't be understated that this garbage being peddled is protracting and exacerbating the pain of a still-grieving family. They certainly hope Hannity pulls the plug.

I guess tonight we find out which he and Fox News care about more - money or humanity.

Hannity isn't going to care and Fox has already lost Billy O. So, they are not also going to lose Hannity. Also, Hannity reaches the most wacky of the wacko watchers....they would stand to lose them if he is gone unless maybe Bannon is pushed out by Kushner and he takes that job.

I expect that Hannity is either going to completely ignore this letter and drop the subject or ignore it and take this opportunity to keep ripping on the subject.

Emotional plea from his parents penned in WaPo, too.

We're Seth Rich's parents. Stop politicizing our son's murder.

Despite these facts, our family’s nightmare persists. Seth’s death has been turned into a political football. Every day we wake up to new headlines, new lies, new factual errors, new people approaching us to take advantage of us and Seth’s legacy. It just won’t stop. The amount of pain and anguish this has caused us is unbearable. With every conspiratorial flare-up, we are forced to relive Seth’s murder and a small piece of us dies as more of Seth’s memory is torn away from us.

To those who sincerely want to get to the bottom of Seth’s murder, we don’t hold this against you. We don’t think you are monsters, and we don’t think you are terrible people. We know that so many people out there really do care, don’t know what to think and are angry at the lack of answers.

We also know that many people are angry at our government and want to see justice done in some way, somehow. We are asking you to please consider our feelings and words. There are people who are using our beloved Seth’s memory and legacy for their own political goals, and they are using your outrage to perpetuate our nightmare. We ask those purveying falsehoods to give us peace, and to give law enforcement the time and space to do the investigation they need to solve our son’s murder.

Hannity is defiant, but he likes his paycheck so he'll stop pushing tinfoil hat conspiracies... for now.

Sean Hannity says he will drop the Seth Rich conspiracy theory and stay at Fox News

Hannity is in a precarious position. His musings about Rich's murder are catnip for his audience, yet Fox News suddenly seems unwilling to abide them. Hannity has entertained the unsubstantiated notion that Rich was not killed in a robbery gone bad, as D.C. police claim, but rather was assassinated because he, not Russian operatives, provided DNC emails to WikiLeaks.

The news division of Fox News lent credence to the theory in a report on its website last week, but the network retracted the story on Tuesday afternoon, saying that "the article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting."

That put Hannity at odds with his employer, and he sounded ready for conflict on his radio program shortly after the retraction.

"I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com," he said on the air. "I retracted nothing."

On his prime-time TV show, however, Hannity was no longer defiant. But he insisted that he was not giving in to pressure or altering his approach.

"I want to say this to you, my loyal audience, which is very important: Please do not interpret what I'm saying tonight to mean anything," Hannity said. "Don't read into this. I promise you I am not doing — going to stop doing my job to the extent of my ability."

Hannity is defiant, but he likes his paycheck so he'll stop pushing tinfoil hat conspiracies... for now.

Sean Hannity says he will drop the Seth Rich conspiracy theory and stay at Fox News

Hannity is in a precarious position. His musings about Rich's murder are catnip for his audience, yet Fox News suddenly seems unwilling to abide them. Hannity has entertained the unsubstantiated notion that Rich was not killed in a robbery gone bad, as D.C. police claim, but rather was assassinated because he, not Russian operatives, provided DNC emails to WikiLeaks.

The news division of Fox News lent credence to the theory in a report on its website last week, but the network retracted the story on Tuesday afternoon, saying that "the article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting."

That put Hannity at odds with his employer, and he sounded ready for conflict on his radio program shortly after the retraction.

"I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com," he said on the air. "I retracted nothing."

On his prime-time TV show, however, Hannity was no longer defiant. But he insisted that he was not giving in to pressure or altering his approach.

"I want to say this to you, my loyal audience, which is very important: Please do not interpret what I'm saying tonight to mean anything," Hannity said. "Don't read into this. I promise you I am not doing — going to stop doing my job to the extent of my ability."

His audience would be better off if they took that advice on the daily.

• Fire 2

fox news talking about the fake media reporting about trump...while every other network is talking about the kushner report. fox avoiding the headlines that don't blow trumps ego up.

This is why Trump's approval rating stays afloat and we can't even agree on basic facts with others.

They present a completely intellectually dishonest version of "news" because they've learned they can monetize righteous outrage to millions who take pride in their red, dead conservative identity.

Only problem is at some point Fox News lost its conservative identity and just became Republican propaganda.

• Fire 1

To be fair, their website does have the story as the lead ....

Tucker Carlson is on here, not discussing it - but not sure if his program typically handles breaking news or other stuff. (first time Fox News has been on in my home and i've lived here for 10+ years)

• knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine