Trump Legal Troubles

Trump hiring big gun criminal lawyer.  Where there is smoke, there must be a fire.   Perhaps there will be breaking news on the investigation soon :dunno

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-organization-hires-criminal-defense-lawyer-11617837781

The Trump Organization has hired Ronald Fischetti, an experienced New York criminal-defense attorney, to represent it in Manhattan prosecutors’ investigation into the business dealings of the former president and his company.

Mr. Fischetti, 84 years old, is a former law partner of Mark Pomerantz, the former federal prosecutor working on the investigation for the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. Mr. Pomerantz was sworn in as a special assistant district attorney in February and is now on leave from law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.

“I am so pleased that Ron has been added to the team,” said Alan Futerfas, a lawyer for the Trump Organization. “He brings extraordinary experience, a depth of knowledge and wisdom that is invaluable and that we so appreciate.”

The Trump Organization retained Mr. Fischetti earlier this week, Mr. Fischetti confirmed. “I’m delighted that I’m going to be on the defense of this,” he said.

Mr. Vance’s office has said it is investigating possible bank, tax or insurance fraud. Prosecutors have subpoenaed information from former President Donald Trump’s banks, lenders, an insurance broker and other parties, The Wall Street Journal has previously reported. They are examining financial transactions at Manhattan properties including Mr. Trump’s flagship Trump Tower; Seven Springs, an estate in Westchester, N.Y.; and a hotel in Chicago, The Journal reported.

Mr. Trump has called the investigation a “witch hunt.” After the U.S. Supreme Court in February cleared the way for Mr. Vance, a Democrat, to obtain his tax returns, Mr. Trump called the probe “all Democrat-inspired in a totally Democrat location.” He added, “We will win!”

• 3 weeks later...

The noose is getting tighter around Trump

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/michael-cohen-predicts-giuliani-will-flip-on-trump-rudy-would-give-him-up-in-a-heartbeat/

It takes one to know one, the old saying goes. And if that maxim applies to Donald Trump’s attorneys, the former president might be in trouble.

Speaking with Alisyn Camerota, Michael Cohen — a former Trump attorney — predicted that one of the men who succeeded him, Rudy Giuliani, will eventually do as he did and turn on the ex-president.

“He’s got some real trouble coming down the pike,” Cohen said. “I can assure you on that one.”

Cohen believes the search warrant executed by federal authorities on Wednesday will bear fruit, and end up incriminating Trump.

“There’s going to be a ton of stuff,” Cohen said. “I’m certain of it. There’s going to be a ton of documentation and there’s going to be a bunch of tweets, and a bunch of texts, and a bunch of God knows what else that they ended up obtaining from these devices.”

“Do you think that Donald Trump is scared today?” Camerota asked Cohen.

“I know so,” the former Trump attorney replied.

And as for the idea of Giuliani flipping? Cohen believes it is fait accompli — and Trump knows it.

“Rudy knows that he has trouble,” Cohen said. “I think Donald understands that Rudy will provide whatever information that he has to [attorneys for the Southern District of New York], because Rudy has no interest in going to prison and spending the golden years of his life behind bars. That I’m certain of.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fbi-warned-giuliani-key-trump-ally-in-senate-of-russian-disinformation-campaign-targeting-biden/ar-BB1gciFx

The FBI warned Rudolph W. Giuliani in late 2019 that he was the target of a Russian influence operation aimed at circulating falsehoods intended to damage President Biden politically ahead of last year’s election, according to people familiar with the matter. The warning was part of an extensive effort by the bureau to alert members of Congress and at least one conservative media outlet, One America News, that they faced a risk of being used to further Russia’s attempt to influence the election’s outcome, said several current and former U.S. officials. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter remains highly sensitive.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/rudy-giuliani-gives-bizarro-interview-about-raid-on-his-home-they-also-got-it-from-the-icloud/

Former personal attorney to former President Donald Trump, Rudy Giuliani, went on Fox News Thursday evening to give Tucker Carlson his side of the story regarding the raid by federal agents on his home Wednesday, and dropped a bizarre rant in which he blamed Hunter Biden and claimed the warrant was illegal because the feds already had his data “from the iCloud.”

(To be clear, this is a different bizarre rant from the one Giuliani dropped on his radio show earlier in the day.)

Carlson welcomed Giuliani on the show and asked him to tell his side of the story.

Giuliani said that seven FBI agents came to his door at 6:00 am with “a big bang, bang, bang on the door” with a search warrant for “electronics.” He claimed that he had offered to turn over this evidence to the government and discuss it with them “for two years.”

The agents took “seven or eight electronic items of mine,” said Giuliani, but then declined to take three hard drives. “I said, well, don’t you want these? And they said, what are they? I said, those are Hunter Biden’s hard drives. And they said no, no, no.”

Giuliani continued to urge the agents to take the hard drives, he said, and claimed that the warrant required them to take “all electronics.”

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

A ton of tweets?

How is that secret evidence the FBI needs a warrant to find?

I watched an interview with Cohen and CNN.  The guy just sounds like a bitter ex-employee (understandably) with nothing substantial to add to anything except his very biased thoughts.

His "name calling" of everyone in Trump's orbit is just as obnoxious as when Trump did it.  

I can't wait for all of these people to disappear from our politics.  They are all just gross people.

• Plus1 3

Judge orders DOJ release Trump obstruction memo

A federal judge has ordered the Department of Justice to turn over a memo cited by then-Attorney General Bill Barr as his reasoning not to charge President Trump with obstruction of justice as part of a lawsuit brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

When Barr delivered the Mueller Report to Congress, he said that there was not sufficient evidence to charge Trump, a decision made “in consultation with the Office of Legal Counsel and other Department lawyers.” Barr and the Department of Justice have refused to turn over the OLC memo, which led to the lawsuit from CREW.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled that the contents of the memo “call[] into question the accuracy of Attorney General Barr’s March 24 representation to Congress,” specifically that Mueller had left it to the attorney general to determine whether the conduct his report describes is a crime, and that OLC’s description of the document “served to obscure the true purpose of the memorandum,” which CREW argued was to help Barr spin his version of the Mueller Report.

After reviewing the OLC memo, Judge Jackson found that it “raises serious questions about how the Department of Justice could make this series of representations to a court,” concluding that “It is time for the public to see that [the memo], too.”

In ordering the document turned over to CREW, Judge Jackson gave the government two weeks to respond with its course of action.

• Thanks 1
On 5/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, knapplc said:

Judge orders DOJ release Trump obstruction memo

A federal judge has ordered the Department of Justice to turn over a memo cited by then-Attorney General Bill Barr as his reasoning not to charge President Trump with obstruction of justice as part of a lawsuit brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

When Barr delivered the Mueller Report to Congress, he said that there was not sufficient evidence to charge Trump, a decision made “in consultation with the Office of Legal Counsel and other Department lawyers.” Barr and the Department of Justice have refused to turn over the OLC memo, which led to the lawsuit from CREW.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled that the contents of the memo “call[] into question the accuracy of Attorney General Barr’s March 24 representation to Congress,” specifically that Mueller had left it to the attorney general to determine whether the conduct his report describes is a crime, and that OLC’s description of the document “served to obscure the true purpose of the memorandum,” which CREW argued was to help Barr spin his version of the Mueller Report.

After reviewing the OLC memo, Judge Jackson found that it “raises serious questions about how the Department of Justice could make this series of representations to a court,” concluding that “It is time for the public to see that [the memo], too.”

In ordering the document turned over to CREW, Judge Jackson gave the government two weeks to respond with its course of action.

Interesting thread:

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Interesting thread:

So, just to review this so I understand it.  This memo is part of a conversation where the DOJ was trying to figure out how Bill Barr could stop the Mueller investigation?  Thus, proving the administration obstructed the investigation?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, just to review this so I understand it.  This memo is part of a conversation where the DOJ was trying to figure out how Bill Barr could stop the Mueller investigation?  Thus, proving the administration obstructed the investigation?

That's how I see it too. But the current issue is that the government lied to the judge.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...