Trump Legal Troubles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good look for the guy in the White House.

Good look for his voters, too.

Trump Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Heads To Top New York Court

Former “Apprentice” contestant Summer Zervos’ sexual misconduct lawsuit against President Donald Trump is headed to New York state’s highest court.

A panel of judges in Manhattan on Tuesday granted a request from Trump’s legal team to send the case to the state Court of Appeals, which will consider whether Zervos can sue the sitting president. She claims Trump defamed her after she came forward in 2016 to accuse him of unwanted groping and kissing.

Last March, a mid-level appeals court ruled Zervos’ lawsuit could proceed. But Trump’s legal team has repeatedly tried to get the courts to drop or delay the case, arguing the Constitution prevents Trump from being sued on state claims while in office.

In their March decision, the Appellate Division panel ruled that the Constitution “was never intended to deprive a state court of its authority to decide cases and controversies under the state’s constitution,” citing a 1997 U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed Paula Jones’ sexual misconduct case against then-President Bill Clinton to proceed.

But Trump’s legal team, led by Marc Kasowitz, continued to press the case, and now the Court of Appeals will weigh in.

We believe that the Court of Appeals will agree that the U.S. Constitution bars state court actions while the President is in office,” a spokesperson for Kasowitz said Tuesday.

Note the bold. Not "My client is innocent of these charges," but, "My client shouldn't be subject to the law because he holds elected office."

But trump isn't a king. He's not above the law, no matter what office he sits in.

• Plus1 3

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, when I read legal documents, I get about 10 words in and my eyes glaze over and I go blind.

Can you summarize what the motion was about?

From a few posts up:

Last March, a mid-level appeals court ruled Zervos’ lawsuit could proceed. But Trump’s legal team has repeatedly tried to get the courts to drop or delay the case, arguing the Constitution prevents Trump from being sued on state claims while in office.

The judge disagreed.

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...