The Republican Utopia

10 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Disclaimer:   I don’t hate gay people nor do I agree with this , but  I do remember this verse as the reason many religions think homosexuality is wrong . 

Leviticus 20:13 
King James Version
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

The hilarious and also angering thing is they pick this sin out so they can persecute people who are different from them.

Women wearing "men's" clothing and vice versa is also an abomination. All the Christian women wearing jeans should be able to be fired for it and not allowed to shop in clothing stores.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Disclaimer:   I don’t hate gay people nor do I agree with this , but  I do remember this verse as the reason many religions think homosexuality is wrong . 

King James Version
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

According to the New King James Version, these things are also abominations:

@Big Red 40,

Leviticus, chapter 11...Eating pork, rabbits, ostrich (and other assorted birds) shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, etc...all these are abominations and unclean in God's view.

Leviticus 18:20....adultery is an abomination.

These are just a few other things that certain christians tend to overlook or do not have the same fervor in railing against.  Not saying you are saying anything like that, just pointing out the counter-point and hypocrisy of those who cite Lev 20:13.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

King James Version

Not one part of that tells me I’m supposed to hate gay people or disown my gay child. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree with you.  However, I think it is the "...they shall surely be put to death..." clause is why being gay generates so much hate among certain christians.

Hate is not a part of any teachings of Christ. 

McCain is really not pulling any punches these days...

I always suspected he wanted Lieberman in 2008, once I was old enough to reflect on the situation. Story I've heard is the GOP higher-ups wouldn't allow it because Lieberman being pro-choice was a dealbreaker. They thrust Palin upon him as an alternative they figured was more Maverick-y. That's a shame... the real maverick move would have been telling them to shove it & following his gut. Got to wonder if 2008 wouldn't have been such a route sans Palin.

The bit about Pence is fascinating but not surprising. Same with his thoughts on Biden.

I will be very sad when McCain finally does pass on. He's one of the very few people who elevate principle & virtue above what's good for the party left in the GOP today. He's someone I disagree with on policy at times but I've never had to question if he loves his country or if he's just in Washington looking out for himself. That last bit is where fall too many politicians fall short. McCain is a damn good man.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not one part of that tells me I’m supposed to hate gay people or disown my gay child. 

According to that verse  they’ve committed an abomination and deserve death . Word for word that’s what I read . Again not my views  but that’s where the misguided hatred and bias comes from, in many cases . I had a religious upbringing , and one of the things that turned me off to it was the judgemental , hypocritical mindset of many Christians. Live and let live I say. 

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree with you.  However, I think it is the "...they shall surely be put to death..." clause is why being gay generates so much hate among certain christians.

So I get what you're saying, and I agree. I've never understood why some Christians persecute LGBTQ individuals when other "abominations" are listed in the Bible as well. I guess they're just the lowest hanging fruit.

I know you've caught some heat for broad-brushing Republicans in this regard. But I just wanted to post this to show that you're not always wrong.

This bill is horrible. It is quite plainly legislating religion. And I don't think it's broad-brushing to point out that OK & KS are not blue states.

To be clear: I am NOT saying all conservatives in these states believe these things or are anti-LGBTQ. What I am saying is the politicians they elect are passing these types of laws, which says something.

• Plus1 2

@Clifford Franklin said: To be clear: I am NOT saying all conservatives in these states believe these things or are anti-LGBTQ. What I am saying is the politicians they elect are passing these types of laws, which says something.

The part in bold...that has been my biggest complaint and why I tend to (whether right or wrong) paint so broadly on this topic.  Politicians want to be popular and keep getting re-elected.  If there was widespread opposition to this type of legislation, among the voters in Kansas and Oklahoma, this type of legislation wouldn't even get past the initial committee stage because it would be shot down.  The fact that this type of legislation not only gets drafted, but introduced, and passed with almost no opposition from the voters in those states is very telling about the overall thoughts and feelings they have about LBGTQIA people.

• Plus1 2

@Clifford Franklin, For as much as I dislike Trump, at this point, the absolute LAST thing I want is to see Trump impeached.  Because Mike Pence as President would be 100% worse.  Pence is a racist, anti-LBGTQIA, neo-nazi (without the nazi ink).  What Mike Pence did while Govenor of Indiana was horrifyingly racist and anti-gay/trans.  Pence very well could be satan in human form.  Okay, while that might be a stretch he is certainly no christian.

• Plus1 1