The Republican Utopia

On 7/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

It's not often you'll see me posting stories from the Weekly Standard. But this is an exceptional critique of Trump from a conservative perspective. 

This is a great article that I wish every true conservative and every true evangelical would read.    "A little leaven leavens the whole lump." Galatians 5:9.  A little win for conservatives with a court appointment and their resulting praise is meant to cover up for all of the sins of this president when in fact it spoils the whole govt as it gives continued cover for Trump to act badly.   Praise for the small good while not attacking the bad dulls the conscience and only reinforces the bad behavior long term.  Have you had a child argue with you when you tell them they didn't pick up their room, wash their dishes, do the chores or finish their homework and they respond "Yes butttttttt, I fed the goldfish".   That is what congress and other repubs are doing - they are enabling Trump while he is destroying true American values.  

I know everyone can read this article but it is too important to ignore. 

Therefore I copied a few quotes.  

Almost every leader in history has had some redeeming characteristic or some defensible initiative. Even profoundly objectionable figures and the profoundly objectionable systems they created were often able to persist because they provided some good to some number of people—the making-the-trains-run-on-time argument. But time judges unkindly those who cheered the timely trains. Some of history’s most ghastly arrangements have been defended by relentlessly pointing to some number of their benefits and turning a blind eye to their costs. This does more than debase debate, it does long-term harm: It serves as a conscience-protecting strategy exactly when our consciences shouldn’t be protected.

and another

Though this point may seem obvious, it’s worth underscoring. The nature of the four-year term allows us a delay in the reckoning. And the nature of our polarized, binary parties encourages us to avoid any accounting detrimental to our team. The itemize-and-compartmentalize approach focuses our attention on the entries, not the balance. The problem in the case of the Trump administration is that its moral debits are skyrocketing. Material and irreparable harm is being done to our nation, our institutions, and our norms, as well as to conservatism and the Republican party. It is instructive that Trump is not unfamiliar with the use of bankruptcy proceedings to avoid the consequences of accumulating financial debts. He seems to understand profits as bankable and losses as expungeable. But since the rest of us will foot the bill for his administration’s moral profligacy, we don’t have the luxury of confining our attention to just one line of the ledger.

and finally this.    I know everyone can read this article but it is too important to ignore. 

Few tragic figures go from saint to scourge overnight. Instead, they engage in a long pattern of compromises that grow in size: riskier affairs, a few more pills, increasingly shady deals. So long as short-term rationalizations are possible, decline can proceed unabated and largely unnoticed. This is why But Gorsuch is so insidious. It is the pro that excused so many cons: the growing attacks on the media, the callous border policy, the belittling of the intelligence community. Have no doubt that But Kavanaugh will justify an even more alarming set of behaviors. Should another seat on the Court open, we could find ourselves But Barrett-ing into the abyss. Trump himself alerted us to this path when he proudly noted, back in January 2016, that his behavior to that point had produced loyalists who’d support him even if he shot someone on Fifth Avenue. What even worse sins, we have to ask ourselves, would his behavior since then compel his supporters to disregard?

Perhaps when dealing with officious neighbors or prickly colleagues, finding silver linings in dark clouds is practical, a kind of survival technique for just making it through the day. When the stakes are low, itemizing and compartmentalizing may be sensible. But given the enormity of the stakes, placing a gold star on the president’s occasional successful assignment is unwarranted and unwise. The road to Hell is paved with a piecemeal, situational approach to morality.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is a great article that I wish every true conservative and every true evangelical would read.    "A little leaven leavens the whole lump." Galatians 5:9.  A little win for conservatives with a court appointment and their resulting praise is meant to cover up for all of the sins of this president when in fact it spoils the whole govt as it gives continued cover for Trump to act badly.   Praise for the small good while not attacking the bad dulls the conscience and only reinforces the bad behavior long term.  Have you had a child argue with you when you tell them they didn't pick up their room, wash their dishes, do the chores or finish their homework and they respond "Yes butttttttt, I fed the goldfish".   That is what congress and other repubs are doing - they are enabling Trump while he is destroying true American values.  

I know everyone can read this article but it is too important to ignore. 

Therefore I copied a few quotes.  

and another

and finally this.    I know everyone can read this article but it is too important to ignore. 

I thought it was a powerfully written piece. I thought especially you would appreciate the perspective. Glad you enjoyed it my friend. :thumbs

9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I thought it was a powerfully written piece. I thought especially you would appreciate the perspective. Glad you enjoyed it my friend. :thumbs

Just goes to show that we should read a more well rounded diet of 'stuff'.  I'm reading more left leaning stuff and that has helped wt perspective and I would encourage you to read more right leaning.  There is good on 'both sides' - we just need discernment.    It takes both sides to help us have a correct (was going to use the word 'right' :P) evaluation of issues.

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Just goes to show that we should read a more well rounded diet of 'stuff'.  I'm reading more left leaning stuff and that has helped wt perspective and I would encourage you to read more right leaning.  There is good on 'both sides' - we just need discernment.    It takes both sides to help us have a correct (was going to use the word 'right' :P) evaluation of issues.

I'd even say it takes "all" sides. :HotTake:

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Submitted without comment... this guy is going to be the GOP nominee for Florida governor.

They should just rename the party.  The Repub party is dead.  It is now the party of Trump.

• Plus1 1

2weymtd.png

Here ^^^^ it is folks, the beginning of America's christian theocracy.  Where non-whites, non-christians, immigrants, and LBGTQIA are all going to be targeted for abuse, harrassment, jail, and even killed.

A long time ago I told every single one of you what the christian right ultimate goals were.  This is the beginning.  It is time for every straight, cis person on this board to do more than just say you support LBGTQIA people.  Now is the time to call your elected representative, multiple times, and let them know that this bulls#!t is not only not right, but grossly violates the 1st Amendmemt and long standing history of separation of church and state.

If you truly believe in equal rights for everyone, if you truly believe that LBGTQIA people should be free to live their lives without being bullied, threatened, harrassed, jailed, or killed...if you truly believe in equality, now is the time to get involved.  

This is a fight that gays, lesbians, transgender, non-gender conforming, non-binary people...we cannot win this fight on our own any more.  Not with this corrupt, racist, bigoted, neo-nazi regime in power.  We need your help now more than ever.

• Plus1 2