The Republican Utopia

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We don't tax wealth...just income.

Huh, how about that. Who do you think that favors? Most of us rely an actual income to survive, not the wealth we already have. That wealth, when it is actually taxed usually is a capital gains tax, which can be greatly reduced through shrewd accounting techniques. That most of us aren't capable of benefiting from.

• Plus1 3

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Huh, how about that. Who do you think that favors? Most of us rely an actual income to survive, not the wealth we already have. That wealth, when it is actually taxed usually is a capital gains tax, which can be greatly reduced through shrewd accounting techniques. That most of us aren't capable of benefiting from.

I've been an advocate of phasing out the income tax in favor of a wealth tax for some time. A hybrid model using both makes the most sense.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've been an advocate of phasing out the income tax in favor of a wealth tax for some time. A hybrid model using both makes the most sense.

That's really interesting. How you'd implement that is very politically sensitive as evidenced by how strongly people feel about the inheritance tax. Maybe start a new topic to discuss.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

HFS!!!

(Squints at the screen)

I agree with...Ric...on something.

(Looks around for a drink)

Well sh!t.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely correct. I really think the liberals who want to eliminate ICE are opposed to immigration enforcement. Many of them seem to want open borders. They certainly can't articulate what immigration laws they would support.

What exactly are you proposing?

9 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

What exactly are you proposing?

I would like to see comprehensive immigration reform. Let’s seal the border in a meaningful way and putting an end to people coming here illegally. Let’s give the DACA folks, with the exception of a few felons, permanent residency. Let’s end chain migration and go to a need and merit based solution. Industries that need the labor can have it through guest worker programs. Industries that need higher-skilled and STEM workers can get those workers as well. I would liberalize the immigration system and let more people in. Those here illegally would be allowed to register. If they are currently employed and have clean records they can stay for a time. If not, they have to go home and get in line. 

But I would also require that any guest worker who wants permanent residency or citizenship learn English, work hard and pay taxes, stay out of trouble with the law, get their kids to school, etc. Anyone who comes here illegally in the future gets sent home immediately and is blacklisted to prevent them coming here legally in the future. E-Verify would be universally applicable. Any employer who employs someone here illegally pays a $100,000 fine and the owner and/or manager get to sit in a jail cell for awhile. Anyone caught illegally smuggling people across the border would do serious time.

So I would seal the border, make it easier to come here legally, make it very difficult to come or stay here illegally, and attemot to create a well-balanced immigration policy that makes much more sense than the status quo.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Which they hide in tax shelters, use loopholes, and outright lie to minimize the amount of their income, thus artifically paying far less taxes than they should.

How much do you think they should pay? The rich already pay a huge share of federal income taxes. The higher you make the rates they pay, the more incentive you give them to avoid paying taxes on that income. When that happens, the government gets nothing.

So long as tax shelters and loopholes are legal, only a fool wouldn’t use them to minimize how much he has to pay. 

So much of this stick it to the rich nonsense is just motivated by envy. It’s easy for the mob to see a millionaire or billionaire and think it’s unfair they have so much more. Why? Why is the instinct to attack those people rather than to try to emulate them? How much time and energy and emotion are wasted on envy? It’s truly sad.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, BigRedBuster said:

What these blubbering idiots don't see is how this plays against them the other way.

Can you imagine what a Democrat could do in office if given this power that would make them absolutely go ballistic?

Fox News - Gone

Breitbart - Gone

Infowars - Gone

Rush - Gone

.....etc.

THEN...they would be crying TYRANNY!!!!!

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks of the press as "The 'enemy' of the people" is flat out a fascist moron who is literally too ignorant to see how dangerous their dim-witted beliefs are.

If Democrats don't regain control of Congress, there won't be any freedom left.  This country cannot withstand another 2 years, let alone 6 more years, of this vile, orange, diagusting P.O.S.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How much do you think they should pay? The rich already pay a huge share of federal income taxes. The higher you make the rates they pay, the more incentive you give them to avoid paying taxes on that income. When that happens, the government gets nothing.

So long as tax shelters and loopholes are legal, only a fool wouldn’t use them to minimize how much he has to pay. 

So much of this stick it to the rich nonsense is just motivated by envy. It’s easy for the mob to see a millionaire or billionaire and think it’s unfair they have so much more. Why? Why is the instinct to attack those people rather than to try to emulate them? How much time and energy and emotion are wasted on envy? It’s truly sad.

What is #SAD is seeing someone so vigorously defend a system that is so exploitative and corrupt.

And once again, you have no idea what I am saying to because you don't listen.  

I have ZERO issues or problems with people who are rich.  Yes I envy them but in a good way.  Society needs rich people.

My qualm is their utter f'ing greed.  These people already have more money than they could possibly spend in a hundred lifetimes and yet they continually want more profits/money.  All the while cursing and condemning poor people who just want to be paid a wage they can live on.

Here is the point you simply haven't been able to grasp: When rich people pay poor people wages they can live on, it ultimately benefits rich people the most in the long run.  Why?  Because when people at the bottom of society's economic ladder make money, and feel good about their economic future--they spend that money.  They go out to dinner/movies/entertainment more, they spend more at Christmas, take better vacations and spend more while on vacation.

So no, I don't hate rich people.  I hate their hypocrisy and greed.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

What is #SAD is seeing someone so vigorously defend a system that is so exploitative and corrupt.

And once again, you have no idea what I am saying to because you don't listen.  

I have ZERO issues or problems with people who are rich.  Yes I envy them but in a good way.  Society needs rich people.

My qualm is their utter f'ing greed.  These people already have more money than they could possibly spend in a hundred lifetimes and yet they continually want more profits/money.  All the while cursing and condemning poor people who just want to be paid a wage they can live on.

Here is the point you simply haven't been able to grasp: When rich people pay poor people wages they can live on, it ultimately benefits rich people the most in the long run.  Why?  Because when people at the bottom of society's economic ladder make money, and feel good about their economic future--they spend that money.  They go out to dinner/movies/entertainment more, they spend more at Christmas, take better vacations and spend more while on vacation.

So no, I don't hate rich people.  I hate their hypocrisy and greed.

So other than thinking rich people are miserable, greedy, miserly, horrible hypocrites, you’re perfectly cool with them. 

Got it. :lol:

Why shouldn’t the people who made the money get to keep it? What entitles less productive members of society to the fruits of the labors of others? 

Its not about taking the fruits of any one else's labor, its about everyone being rewarded with a fair amount of compensation for their days work. There was a time when factory jobs, and many others,  paid good wages , provided good pensions , good medical insurance, and treated their employees with respect. The work was fast paced and back breaking , but people lined up to take those jobs. Upper management and stockholders made millions, and nobody complained, because everyone, top to bottom, felt like they were fairly compensated. 

Over the years companies have slashed wages, overtime, benefits, weakened unions, eliminated respect for employees, etc in effect ruining those job to the point where only an illegal or political refugee will take them. Telling people they "deserve" lousy wages , no benefits, lousy treatment , and applying relentless pressure to make them do more for less, so management  can get big bonuses, breeds resentment. The scales have tipped way too far in favor of a select few people, and its bad for the country as a whole.

Whats laughable is how they've got the same people they oppress, who had zero chance to sniff the stratosphere they live in, to support their "right" to oppress them , when they should be rioting in the streets to get fairer treatment. 

• Plus1 2