The Republican Utopia

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

One of the main problems is that many Republicans see illegals as cheap labor, while many Democrats see illegals as future Democratic voters. So large segments of both camps have no real desire to do anything to fix the problem.

There is also a statistically supported school of thought that it's not a big problem to begin with. The immigrant population is filling jobs that most Americans don't want to take, and in the process they become American consumers, adding far more to the economy than they take away. The number of Latin American immigrants hasn't been swelling, it's actually been dropping, particularly in Mexico. Many of these people are family-first conservative Catholics who have long tended to vote GOP, especially in rural areas, but are less inclined when the Republicans are demonizing and racially profiling them in order to whip up their angry white base. They don't like being taken for granted by Democrats either, but when push comes to shove, Donald Trump's rhetoric is hard to embrace.

• Plus1 4

On 11/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, Ric Flair said:

Learning English should be a requirement for legal entry. If someone wants to be an American, be gainfully employed, and participate in our society, he needs to speak English. If they're not willing or interested in doing so, they should be sent back to the sh****le countries from whence they came.

What if you are born deaf or mute?  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 11/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, Ric Flair said:

Learning English should be a requirement for legal entry. If someone wants to be an American, be gainfully employed, and participate in our society, he needs to speak English. If they're not willing or interested in doing so, they should be sent back to the sh****le countries from whence they came.

If I'm running a business, i don't give a damn what language they speak as long as they have money to spend at my establishment.  If I'm running a business I don't care what language they speak as long as they understand the job I have given them.  If I'm running a city or state, I don't care what language they speak as long as they obey the laws and pay their taxes.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I kinda agree with Ric Flair about language. If you emigrate to America, it should be incumbent upon you to assimilate as much as possible. That doesn't mean leaving your culture or heritage behind, it means making every attempt to be a productive member of the society you're choosing to live in. 

My wife and I were just talking about this with my in-laws. Their ancestors came to central Nebraska, set up homes, and started farms. They worked all day, then at night they took English classes.  It was difficult, but they wanted to become Americans, and that's what they did.  Some of them, including my father-in-law, still speak with accents. 

I have no problem with making that a standard for immigrants. I don't know how to enforce it, and people shouldn't be kicked out of the country for failing to learn English, but they should try.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I kinda agree with Ric Flair about language. If you emigrate to America, it should be incumbent upon you to assimilate as much as possible. That doesn't mean leaving your culture or heritage behind, it means making every attempt to be a productive member of the society you're choosing to live in. 

My wife and I were just talking about this with my in-laws. Their ancestors came to central Nebraska, set up homes, and started farms. They worked all day, then at night they took English classes.  It was difficult, but they wanted to become Americans, and that's what they did.  Some of them, including my father-in-law, still speak with accents. 

I have no problem with making that a standard for immigrants. I don't know how to enforce it, and people shouldn't be kicked out of the country for failing to learn English, but they should try.

This is a very interesting topic for me. 

If i were to agree with Ric, I would have to say a friend of mine’s mom should have never been able to immigrate yo America. 

She came from from a country that was in shambles, had just killed over 500,000 Americans, sponsored an attack on America and didn’t speak English. 

She was was a teenager when she emigrated to America from Germany after WWII. 

My own ancestors emigrated from Europe through Canada and would be considered illegal aliens today. 

Thus country was was built on people coming here from horrible situations to make a better life. There are lots of small towns across America where European languages are on signs and othe countries flags are proudly shown as their heritage. 

That doesn’t mean that hate America or aren’t proud to be American. 

Also (a pet peeve of mine) people are upset these people want to “come to America and change it”. This has been happening ever since Columbus landed. 

You dont think the Germans, Swedes, Irish, Italians changed America when they came?

i know your answers to these.  Just venting for discussion sake. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a very interesting topic for me. 

If i were to agree with Ric, I would have to say a friend of mine’s mom should have never been able to immigrate yo America. 

She came from from a country that was in shambles, had just killed over 500,000 Americans, sponsored an attack on America and didn’t speak English. 

She was was a teenager when she emigrated to America from Germany after WWII. 

My own ancestors emigrated from Europe through Canada and would be considered illegal aliens today. 

Thus country was was built on people coming here from horrible situations to make a better life. There are lots of small towns across America where European languages are on signs and othe countries flags are proudly shown as their heritage. 

That doesn’t mean that hate America or aren’t proud to be American. 

Also (a pet peeve of mine) people are upset these people want to “come to America and change it”. This has been happening ever since Columbus landed. 

You dont think the Germans, Swedes, Irish, Italians changed America when they came?

i know your answers to these.  Just venting for discussion sake. 

My post in no way discouraged immigration. It simply said if you come here, you should try to assimilate, including making an effort to learn the language.

Just now, knapplc said:

My post in no way discouraged immigration. It simply said if you come here, you should try to assimilate, including making an effort to learn the language.

Ric has stated that you should not be allowed to emigrate here unless you already know English. I know my friend’s mom didn’t and pretty sure my ancestors didn’t. 

They all came from s#!thole countries....well....other than being European. 

my other side came from Germany before the war. My geandpsrents would take food to prisoners around Hastings and my grandfather would sit around talking (in German)shooting the s#!t with them. 

My mom and dad (and me) should be deported according to Ric.