The Republican Utopia

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ric has stated that you should not be allowed to emigrate here unless you already know English. I know my friend’s mom didn’t and pretty sure my ancestors didn’t. 

They all came from s#!thole countries....well....other than being European. 

my other side came from Germany before the war. My geandpsrents would take food to prisoners around Hastings and my grandfather would sit around talking (in German)shooting the s#!t with them. 

My mom and dad (and me) should be deported according to Ric. 

I think it's pretty clear I don't endorse Ric's more xenophobic traits. I simply think immigrants should attempt to assimilate.

3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

How are people confirming that Hispanic immigrants aren't 'making an effort' to learn English?  That seems like a baseless argument.

Immigrants don't have time to learn English when they are so busy raping and doing drugs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I have no problem with making that a standard for immigrants. I don't know how to enforce it, and people shouldn't be kicked out of the country for failing to learn English, but they should try.

If we were able to reform immigration policy, and offer crazy things like free community service language programs, I imagine most would be very happy to try. Enforcing such a thing would never work or pay dividends; encouraging such a thing, however, would go a long way and would be a good service to everyone.

31 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

How are people confirming that Hispanic immigrants aren't 'making an effort' to learn English?  That seems like a baseless argument.

Anecdotally I can confirm that a co-worker's wife (native Spanish speaker) refused to learn English, but she slowly came to realize that it would make her life much easier if she did. So she's starting to make an effort.

I think it's a courtesy to try and learn another cultur's language. When I travel to Europe this year I tried to learn some  French and Italian to make it easier. Even if you suck at it, people still like that you make the effort (except here, they'll just call you a dumb immigrant trying to steal there jebs! /s). I also try to pick up a little Spanish around the office from my Mexican co-workers, but for some reason I only seem to be learning the cuss words.

Just now, ZRod said:

Anecdotally I can confirm that a co-worker's wife (native Spanish speaker) refused to learn English, but she slowly came to realize that it would make her life much easier if she did. So she's starting to make an effort.

I know a few people like this, actually. But even if they don't (or can't) learn English, their children do, and are as American as I am.  That kind of reticence doesn't usually outlive the first generation off the boat (or over the border).

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I know a few people like this, actually. But even if they don't (or can't) learn English, their children do, and are as American as I am.  That kind of reticence doesn't usually outlive the first generation off the boat (or over the border).

I live in a high percentage hispanic population area.  I honestly don't know one kid who doesn't know english and any adults who don't know any english.  Some, a little and some very fluent.  But, they all learn some.

However, I know some people who, if they hear someone speaking spanish in public, they get pissed.  I always ask them, when you vacation in Mexico and are out with your friends, do you speak spanish?

They usually just storm off or change the subject.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I live in a high percentage hispanic population area.  I honestly don't know one kid who doesn't know english and any adults who don't know any english.  Some, a little and some very fluent.  But, they all learn some.

However, I know some people who, if they hear someone speaking spanish in public, they get pissed.  I always ask them, when you vacation in Mexico and are out with your friends, do you speak spanish?

They usually just storm off or change the subject.

"I'm afraid they're talking about me!"  That's what I hear when people bitch about hearing a foreign language.  It's crazypants behavior.

Mostly when I'm in America and I hear someone speaking with an accent, I'm jealous because they know more languages than I.  And they're probably half again smarter than me. 

Also, if you live in a highly Hispanic population area, how good is the food you have access to?  That's the thing that I love MOST about immigrants - they bring unique cuisine to the area. 

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Also, if you live in a highly Hispanic population area, how good is the food you have access to?  That's the thing that I love MOST about immigrants - they bring unique cuisine to the area. 

Let me put it this way.  When I travel, I can't order Mexican because I don't believe it will be as good as I get here.

Never ever ever...pass up a hispanic graduation or wedding.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

"I'm afraid they're talking about me!"  That's what I hear when people bitch about hearing a foreign language.  It's crazypants behavior.

Mostly when I'm in America and I hear someone speaking with an accent, I'm jealous because they know more languages than I.  And they're probably half again smarter than me. 

I work in a factory with hundreds of Hispanics and the language thing bugs me because I didn’t go to Mexico they came here and in my opinion  they should adapt to what is here, not the other way around . If I was going to spend much time in a foreign country, or move there yes I definitely could /would learn the native tongue . 

We also had pot luck dinners at work and I thought the food the Hispanics brought was terrible  lol . Greasy stuff with lots of peppers mostly . I’ll take the Americanized version with lots of cheese and tomatoes myself . Different strokes for different folks I guess . 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I work in a factory with hundreds of Hispanics and the language thing bugs me because I didn’t go to Mexico they came here and in my opinion  they should adapt to what is here, not the other way around . If I was going to spend much time in a foreign country, or move there yes I definitely could /would learn the native tongue . 

We also had pot luck dinners at work and I thought the food the Hispanics brought was terrible  lol . Greasy stuff with lots of peppers mostly . I’ll take the Americanized version with lots of cheese and tomatoes myself . Different strokes for different folks I guess . 

Do your coworkers speak English when they talk to you?