The Republican Utopia

In the mid 90s when they started coming to the plant very few could /would speak English . The company accommodated them by changing things to Spanish launguage  , hiring Spanish speaking supervisors , and interpreters . If we had to interact with them , train them etc we usually had to find an interpreter, or try to understand Spanish ourselves .I thought that was wrong . 

Over the years through necessity , and our own desire to get along, many more do speak English, and I’ve also learned quite a bit of Spanish too  . It’s become much less of a problem . 

Ill address anything anyone wants to discuss further in the immigration threads . I’ll let this one get back to its regularly scheduled programming . lol 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

In the mid 90s when they started coming to the plant very few could /would speak English . The company accommodated them by changing things to Spanish launguage  , hiring Spanish speaking supervisors , and interpreters . If we had to interact with them , train them etc we usually had to find an interpreter, or try to understand Spanish ourselves .I thought that was wrong . 

Over the years through necessity , and our own desire to get along, many more do speak English, and I’ve also learned quite a bit of Spanish too  . It’s become much less of a problem . 

Ill address anything anyone wants to discuss further in the immigration threads . I’ll let this one get back to its regularly scheduled programming . lol 

I'm too lazy to @ you in another thread.

My immediate thought when reading this is that was probably the price that had to be paid to find the workers who were willing to work for the amount of $. The Spanish speaking people who could also speak English fluently probably had better opportunities. I don't know anything about your company but that's my guess.

Anyhow, I agree people should make an effort to learn the language of a place they're living in. OTOH I don't know how long the people you're referring to had lived here when they weren't speaking English. Chances are they didn't plan to move to the U.S. Most people who came (especially in the 90s) had to because farming was decimated in Mexico by NAFTA.

• Plus1 1
On 11/9/2018 at 2:46 PM, Big Red 40 said:

So...it sounds like new emigrants came here, didn't know English and then have started assimilating by learning more and more english.

Some accommodations in the work place were needed during the process.

Am I getting that right?

On 1/25/2017 at 12:16 PM, zoogs said:

Our capacity for discernment is truly eroding. BRI and BRB have rapidly become indistinguishable from one another. JJ is now ED.

Not to make light of these dark times. I keep going back to redistricting as the root of this turn for the GOP. The sheer scope of the gerrymandering seems to make the idea of accountability quite a laugh.

The degree of the gerrymandering, particularly in the co-called rural states, has reached almost criminal proportions. Today, the politicians pick the voters, not the other way around, the way the framers envisioned. This really has to stop.

The midterms really show that the rural states have been solidly captured by the Republican Party by first capturing statehouses and governorships. Once done, they really capitalized on redistricting in 2010

I'm trying figure out why farmers and small communities are so intent on voting against their own self interests, time and time again. It was, in fact, the Democratic Party of FDR which saved the parents and grandparents of today's farm voters. Rural Electrification, farm price supports, Ag extension services, Social Security, on and on...all programs begun under Democratic administrations.  

I think it is Social issues which turned much of  the farm belt away from the Democratic Party. All my friends in rural Oregon rail more about those things than anything else. The demographics of America are changing and they simply don't like it.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Flylooper said:

The degree of the gerrymandering, particularly in the co-called rural states, has reached almost criminal proportions. Today, the politicians pick the voters, not the other way around, the way the framers envisioned. This really has to stop.

The midterms really show that the rural states have been solidly captured by the Republican Party by first capturing statehouses and governorships. Once done, they really capitalized on redistricting in 2010

I'm trying figure out why farmers and small communities are so intent on voting against their own self interests, time and time again. It was, in fact, the Democratic Party of FDR which saved the parents and grandparents of today's farm voters. Rural Electrification, farm price supports, Ag extension services, Social Security, on and on...all programs begun under Democratic administrations.  

I think it is Social issues which turned much of  the farm belt away from the Democratic Party. All my friends in rural Oregon rail more about those things than anything else. The demographics of America are changing and they simply don't like it.

Guns and abortion.  Two issues Republicans have fooled so many people with.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

not sure which thread to put this in...but since it's the republican party i guess this is the best thread.  could also go in the racism thread.   

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article221605150.html

There’s a clear division in the Tarrant County Republican Party.

At a time when many want to focus on the 2020 election, in the wake of this reliably red county turning blue in this year’s U.S. Senate race, Tarrant Republicans instead are focused on a call to remove a Muslim from party leadership.

One side, described as a small group with a loud voice, wants to remove Shahid Shafi, a Muslim, from the post of vice chairman. They say it’s not about religion but whether Shafi is loyal to Islam or connected “to Islamic terror groups.”

The other side supports Shafi, a surgeon and Southlake City Council member. At least one member is ready to step down if the effort to remove him from office is successful.

9 minutes ago, commando said:

farmers must love this

Our local elevator would have usually shipped a number of train loads of beans to the north west to be shipped to China.

Right now there are huge piles of beans on the ground because there is no place for them to go.  I have never seen that before here.  On top of that, beans do not do well being stored that way.  They are going to have huge amounts of waste.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:29 PM, commando said:

not sure which thread to put this in...but since it's the republican party i guess this is the best thread.  could also go in the racism thread.   

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article221605150.html

There’s a clear division in the Tarrant County Republican Party.

At a time when many want to focus on the 2020 election, in the wake of this reliably red county turning blue in this year’s U.S. Senate race, Tarrant Republicans instead are focused on a call to remove a Muslim from party leadership.

One side, described as a small group with a loud voice, wants to remove Shahid Shafi, a Muslim, from the post of vice chairman. They say it’s not about religion but whether Shafi is loyal to Islam or connected “to Islamic terror groups.”

The other side supports Shafi, a surgeon and Southlake City Council member. At least one member is ready to step down if the effort to remove him from office is successful.

When we look for shadows behind every person, we have to do some amazing twisting in our words and actions.  For a party that needs a bigger tent, they are in the process of blowing up the tent themselves - I guess this would make them terrorist towards themselves.  :blink: