The Republican Utopia

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Interesting. So they should "lay in the bed they made", right? I would tend to agree with you. A little consistency from the left, across the entire demographic spectrum in regard to personal accountability, would be welcomed. I'm all for accountability.

Cite examples of where the personal accountability from the left is needed for you

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

"Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi's refusal to negotiate on funding for a border wall/barrier -- even if the government were to be reopened -- virtually ends the congressional path to funding for a border wall/barrier," Graham said in a statement. "It is time for President Trump to use emergency powers to fund the construction of a border wall/barrier."

Yeah, I think it's also time for Senator Palpatine to use emergency powers to eradicate the Jedi problem.

30 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think empathy should go out the window if they were duped.  People were screaming that they were being duped. Didn't matter to them as long as they "LOCK HER UP!!!!!"

Empathy should never go out the window. It's the only means by which we can come to real long lasting solutions.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, I think it's also time for Senator Palpatine to use emergency powers to eradicate the Jedi problem.

Empathy should never go out the window. It's the only means by which we can come to real long lasting solutions.

Empathy can go out the window.  It doesn't mean I'm going to personally go up to farmers I know and say, "I told you so" and ridicule them.  

45 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Cite examples of where the personal accountability from the left is needed for you

It's  not "needed for me", but if you're going to have empathy for minorities in the inner-city, where personal accountability doesn't always exist, then you should have the same for farmers (or poor white people) that have similar struggles in their own lives. Even if their circumstances are partly of their own doing (just like those in the inner cities). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's  not "needed for me", but if you're going to have empathy for minorities in the inner-city, where personal accountability doesn't always exist, then you should have the same for farmers (or poor white people) that have similar struggles in their own lives. Even if their circumstances are partly of their own doing (just like those in the inner cities). 

You're 100% right. This is the entire point of the political left. Their utility is to be watchful and vigilant against heirarchies becoming calcified in ways that hurt groups. Farmers and coal miners and the like should absolutely be included in that considering the current state of the world.

25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Empathy can go out the window.  It doesn't mean I'm going to personally go up to farmers I know and say, "I told you so" and ridicule them.  

There are ways of saying 'I told you so' while still being empathetic. These farmers need to learn the err of their ways, but they shouldn't have to lose everything and sacrifice the security, health, and safety of their family to do it. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

There are ways of saying 'I told you so' while still being empathetic. These farmers need to learn the err of their ways, but they shouldn't have to lose everything and sacrifice the security, health, and safety of their family to do it. 

Gotta teach them a lesson, huh?

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Gotta teach us a lesson, huh?

If you're a farmer and voted for Trump, yes--that's a pretty damn myopic and ignorant choice if your trade requires open trade, cheap labor, and government subsidies. 

• Plus1 1

I live right smack dab in the middle of farming country in Nebraska.  I'm heavily involved with the ag community.  I have very good friends who are farmers.  I don't want them to lose their livelihoods.  

But, I've also had enough conversations with them about Trump and them teasing me because I'm the outlier in not loving the guy......that when they bitch about this, there will be a twinge of "told you so" going through my mind.

39 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You think democrats don't have empathy for farmers? Despite how they vote?  Do tell.....

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You think democrats don't have empathy for farmers? Despite how they vote?  Do tell.....

You get bonus points for providing subsidies for farmers? It's kind of a must, given the industry. If you can't see the polar-opposite narratives out there, and how it relates to  poor white people, and minorities, well....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You get bonus points for providing subsidies for farmers? It's kind of a must, given the industry. If you can't see the polar-opposite narratives out there, and how it relates to  poor white people, and minorities, well....

Every single Democrat in the Senate voted for the $867B farm bill.  Every one.  Every Democrat voted to support farmers despite who they voted for.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1