The Republican Utopia

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I live right smack dab in the middle of farming country in Nebraska.  I'm heavily involved with the ag community.  I have very good friends who are farmers.  I don't want them to lose their livelihoods.  

But, I've also had enough conversations with them about Trump and them teasing me because I'm the outlier in not loving the guy......that when they bitch about this, there will be a twinge of "told you so" going through my mind.

I can understand farmers voting for the guy. They almost exclusively lean conservative now, whereas in the past some of them may have been more open to liberals because they promoted the government helping their industry.

What I don't get is how they can see their access to markets close off because of Trump's moves on trade and literally be backed up against a wall facing the loss of your farm, and still be like "Well, yeah, we've got to build that wall!"

I definitely feel empathy for these people. Because their cultural conservatism & identifying with the GOP are bonds that run so deep they still put their faith in a conman who promised them everything but is now costing them everything. They're still sticking their neck out for him in hopes he'll come through.

I don't know how that type of recalcitrant belief in a person/party who is hurting them is going to change.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

There are ways of saying 'I told you so' while still being empathetic. These farmers need to learn the err of their ways, but they shouldn't have to lose everything and sacrifice the security, health, and safety of their family to do it. 

That particular way of saying 'I told you so' doesn't really sound anything like I told you so. It sounds more like, "Hey, I understand why you made that decision and you weren't alone - a lot of good people were fooled and taken advantage of it wasn't just you. Here's some helpful ways to be on the lookout against people trying to manipulate and use you like that so you can be more mindful in the future. We're all in this together we've gotta look out for each other."

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Gotta teach them a lesson, huh?

Shouldn’t all of us learn lessons from how we vote when it doesn’t work out, instead of being hard-headed?

Sometimes the only way to learn that lesson is to be personally affected by a problem the person you voted for caused.

Lindsey Graham is about the worst offender of being constitutionally incapable of taking a stand against the leader of his own party. 

Remember when he said not to trust Trump? That getting behind him would destroy the GOP?

What a turn he's made. Now he's clearly only concerned with avoiding a primary next year from his base, and being Trump's footstool is priority numero uno.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I can understand farmers voting for the guy. They almost exclusively lean conservative now, whereas in the past some of them may have been more open to liberals because they promoted the government helping their industry.

What I don't get is how they can see their access to markets close off because of Trump's moves on trade and literally be backed up against a wall facing the loss of your farm, and still be like "Well, yeah, we've got to build that wall!"

I definitely feel empathy for these people. Because their cultural conservatism & identifying with the GOP are bonds that run so deep they still put their faith in a conman who promised them everything but is now costing them everything. They're still sticking their neck out for him in hopes he'll come through.

I don't know how that type of recalcitrant belief in a person/party who is hurting them is going to change.

When I talk to these people, it's a really strange conversation.  I've been around these people long enough that I know they heavily criticized politicians in the past for moral issues....like Clinton and his affairs.  "Claiming" Obama lied to everyone with Obamacare.  Hillary and her corrupt business dealings.

NOW.....we have a Republican that encompasses all of those things openly and almost proudly.  They think he's the greatest thing in the world because he "tells it like it is" and gets conservatives on the bench.

This, honestly, is the strangest era of American politics I have ever witnessed.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I talk to these people, it's a really strange conversation.  I've been around these people long enough that I know they heavily criticized politicians in the past for moral issues....like Clinton and his affairs.  "Claiming" Obama lied to everyone with Obamacare.  Hillary and her corrupt business dealings.

NOW.....we have a Republican that encompasses all of those things openly and almost proudly.  They think he's the greatest thing in the world because he "tells it like it is" and gets conservatives on the bench.

This, honestly, is the strangest era of American politics I have ever witnessed.

Strangest, or saddest? Remember, these are the Baby Boomers, who came from our Greatest Generation(tm). Expectations were not unreasonably high. 

• Plus1 1

this shutdown might last awhile if trumpy doesn't get his way

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/freedom-caucus-border-emergency-trump-1096929

Meadows added that Trump could decide to keep the government shut down even if he declares a national emergency, suggesting that the president may wait to see the outcome in the courts first even if that took months.

“It doesn’t necessarily open the government,” Meadows said. “Declaring a national emergency and funding the government are two separate decisions.”

9 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Lotta mentions about farmers here. I grew up on a farm, it's still in the family. All that I've really got to say is f#&% farmers. No one should inherit their livelihood. Zero sympathy from me if those people are impacted by...anything.

So you're against somebody inheriting a livelihood from their own family, but you're okay with someone inheriting a livelihood from taxpayers they've never met? Very, very interesting....

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Lotta mentions about farmers here. I grew up on a farm, it's still in the family. All that I've really got to say is f#&% farmers. No one should inherit their livelihood. Zero sympathy from me if those people are impacted by...anything.

What?

• Plus1 1

I was quite a few beers deep last night. Very eloquent thought there. Love getting back online in the morning and wondering why I thought I should share whatever I did.

Response was meant for the posts regarding farmers screwing themselves by voting Republican, while holding a holier than thou attitude. Seeing people inherit a good living instead of earning one is something that bothers me. Whether it be falling into the family farm or having connected parents place them into roles they don't deserve. My generalization on the farmers we are generally referring to is people receiving a great living because they were born on a plot of land and have a big head from it. There is zero sympathy from me if those same people have their unearned livelihood threatened by their own support of the Republican party.

Not everyone fits the bill, and I may be over-generalizing, but the point stands that Republican voters should take a hard look at what they are actually voting for.

7 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I was quite a few beers deep last night. Very eloquent thought there. Love getting back online in the morning and wondering why I thought I should share whatever I did.

Response was meant for the posts regarding farmers screwing themselves by voting Republican, while holding a holier than thou attitude. Seeing people inherit a good living instead of earning one is something that bothers me. Whether it be falling into the family farm or having connected parents place them into roles they don't deserve. My generalization on the farmers we are generally referring to is people receiving a great living because they were born on a plot of land and have a big head from it. There is zero sympathy from me if those same people have their unearned livelihood threatened by their own support of the Republican party.

Not everyone fits the bill, and I may be over-generalizing, but the point stands that Republican voters should take a hard look at what they are actually voting for.

I think I get your point.  I've had quite the FB discussion with one of my cousin's kids this morning.

CliffNotes:

We agreed the government is in debt and money for the wall would add to deficit.

We agree healthcare options are way to expensive for normal families.

We agree that sometimes the government needs to spend money they don't have and hope for a return on the investment.

Her stance:  Spend money we don't have on a wall to make healthcare cheaper for all.

Also her stance:  Do not spend money we don't have on healthcare to make healthcare cheaper for all

Wasn't sure where to go, except the beer fridge, after we established that....

On 1/12/2019 at 1:06 AM, mrandyk said:

Wow....that’s a pretty pathetic attitude.   

• Plus1 1