The Republican Utopia

21 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Let's assume I don't know anyone that is an employee of the federal government, how long would the government have to be shut down before I ever notice? How long would it take for an average citizen to be impacted personally?

I’ve noticed with several situations. 

Most are dealing with TSA and travel. 

A new new local brewery can’t open because of the shut down. 

21 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Let's assume I don't know anyone that is an employee of the federal government, how long would the government have to be shut down before I ever notice? How long would it take for an average citizen to be impacted personally? 

I listened to a FiveThirtyEight podcast today that speculated that the cease of certain types of food inspection could ultimately end the shutdown if there is a foodborne illness outbreak that could directly be traced back to the shutdown.

But that theory relies on the GOP pulling their heads out and realizing the government does important stuff and should actually be, you know, running and stuff...

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

It was a Democrat who thinks it isn't enough and is going to introduce a bill to officially censure King instead of a passive aggressive statement against white supremacy.

Yeah, I actually read it and saw that. I just thought it was funny that one person voted no and was just thinking how on brand it would have been if it was King.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

Friendly tip to be skeptical of quotes you see from Clemson players/coaches about the McDinner they had at the White House.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/425549-clemson-quarterback-dismisses-fake-quote-calling-white-house

I knew it was fake! Catered fast food sucks! We had Chick-fil-A shipped into our cafeteria at work and it was all soggy and gross, but I'd still eat it...

8 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I listened to a FiveThirtyEight podcast today that speculated that the cease of certain types of food inspection could ultimately end the shutdown if there is a foodborne illness outbreak that could directly be traced back to the shutdown.

But that theory relies on the GOP pulling their heads out and realizing the government does important stuff and should actually be, you know, running and stuff...

What's going to end it is when TSA gets tired of working for no pay and goes on strike.

You screw with America's air travel, the shot will hit the fan.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Good to know these a##holes are taking this situation so seriously.

Make no mistake, there are probably many "small government" conservatives that are loving this moment in time right now, irrespective of who it hurts.

Cliff, I'll have to correct you on one thing:  The core belief of 'small govt' conservatives is 'efficient govt' not closed govt.  What is happening isn't efficient nor is it small.  It is a total waste of funds as we look at the real cost of this shutdown.  Small govt isn't to be the end game.  It should only be the result of efficient govt - correctly meeting all of the societal needs of the people in an efficient manner - cutting fraud and waste.  Trump's action is one fraudulent act that is hurting the country.  He and the Dems could sit down and settle the boarder issue if he was willing to 'compromise' and secure the boarder through all of the means possible. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Cliff, I'll have to correct you on one thing:  The core belief of 'small govt' conservatives is 'efficient govt' not closed govt.  What is happening isn't efficient nor is it small.  It is a total waste of funds as we look at the real cost of this shutdown.  Small govt isn't to be the end game.  It should only be the result of efficient govt - correctly meeting all of the societal needs of the people in an efficient manner - cutting fraud and waste.  Trump's action is one fraudulent act that is hurting the country.  He and the Dems could sit down and settle the boarder issue if he was willing to 'compromise' and secure the boarder through all of the means possible. 

From your keyboard to all conservatives' ears.

3 Republican state legislators from West Virginia introduced a bill to take $10M from the state surplus and offer it to fund the wall.  The state tax payer funded surplus.  The state that is fighting the worst opioid crisis in this country has 3 republicans that think a wall is a more important use of their constituents money than helping fight drug abuse.

• Plus1 2