The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Cliff, I'll have to correct you on one thing:  The core belief of 'small govt' conservatives is 'efficient govt' not closed govt.  What is happening isn't efficient nor is it small.  It is a total waste of funds as we look at the real cost of this shutdown.  Small govt isn't to be the end game.  It should only be the result of efficient govt - correctly meeting all of the societal needs of the people in an efficient manner - cutting fraud and waste.  Trump's action is one fraudulent act that is hurting the country.  He and the Dems could sit down and settle the boarder issue if he was willing to 'compromise' and secure the boarder through all of the means possible.  

:thumbs I wish more of the small government crowd thought like this.

My experience with them is that more of them would rather slice and dice it regardless of the collateral damage. Small government by any means necessary. Even looking at this shutdown, I don't hear any of them complaining about the shutdown. The hardcore Trumpers are crowing about how we need the wall, and the small government and libertarian crowd are conspicuously silent.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

:thumbs I wish more of the small government crowd thought like this.

My experience with them is that more of them would rather slice and dice it regardless of the collateral damage. Small government by any means necessary. Even looking at this shutdown, I don't hear any of them complaining about the shutdown. The hardcore Trumpers are crowing about how we need the wall, and the small government and libertarian crowd are conspicuously silent.

There is a quote of Reagan's that I don't agree with  ( I know your reaction is :eek:)  Reagan said something to the affect that "Govt isn't the solution but the problem."  I think at the core he meant - inefficient govt is the problem.  But words matter and just saying govt is the problem sets the wrong narrative for conservatives for too long.  We need govt, we need social programs, we need defense spending, etc and etc - but we need efficient  govt so that we can actually bring more (not less) services to the people. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

There is a quote of Reagan's that I don't agree with  ( I know your reaction is :eek:)  Reagan said something to the affect that "Govt isn't the solution but the problem."  I think at the core he meant - inefficient govt is the problem.  But words matter and just saying govt is the problem sets the wrong narrative for conservatives for too long.  We need govt, we need social programs, we need defense spending, etc and etc - but we need efficient  govt so that we can actually bring more (not less) services to the people. 

AMEN to every thing you've said in your last few posts.  This is one area where the government is like a business.  The more efficient you are at what you need to be doing, the more you can do.  This is one reason why I'm so much for reducing the deficit and the debt.  We are on pace to spend almost $390 billion dollars next year.....just on interest.  Soon, we will spend more in interest than the entire defense budget.

Imagine the social programs and infrastructure we could build with that.

I know it's a pipe dream at this point.  But.....Good lord....

Here, here! :cheers

• Plus1 1

The government we have reflects the people we are. As we get lazier and less vigilant, our government becomes more corrupt and wasteful. 

Government is never the initial problem. It's just (usually) a more visible symptom.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Someone's going to have to explain to me how that is a white power symbol. It's a very common hand symbol, one I use frequently, and I've never once heard it associated with white power before.

I have no clue about the hand gesture. 

But WTF is he doing showing love for a leader in the white supremist/neo nazi movement?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, mrandyk said:

Someone's going to have to explain to me how that is a white power symbol. It's a very common hand symbol, one I use frequently, and I've never once heard it associated with white power before.

Hard to see it because he used his left hand.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a bit of a judgment thing, but any time you see a white supremacist using it, I think it's fair game to wonder.

• Haha 1