The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Didn’t want to make a new topic. But I wanted to post about the “You just hate Trump” crowd. 

This argument gets used a lot by his defenders, including in this forum. Although some of those claim to not like him. It’s amazing how many people don’t like him but defend him. Their sentiment is that because there are a lot of criticisms of Trump, it must be because people hate him. And this is used as an attempt to nullify all arguments against his fitness to be president.

Sarah Sanders: 

This has to be the s#!ttiest and dumbest defense of a politician I’ve heard on my lifetime. People are critical of Trump more often than of any previous presidents because he does and says more things that are worthy of criticism than any other president before him. 

People are trying to treat it like it all started with people hating him, as if nothing Trump does or says actually causes the criticism. It’s idiotic. It’s also crazy the things people will do to shut their brains off so they can continue supporting him.

It's gaslighting. They did it to Obama. 24/7 negative coverage of what turned out to be a pretty regular president.

Everything they accuse "them" of doing, they're doing.  That's the schtick.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Boy,  I think I'll go out and cancel my health insurance today.  Thanks Phil for the great advice.

Ok, now this is a commentary on where we are today as a society.  We got a reality show star, who is a star because he can hunt ducks, make duck calls, and his family is goofy on TV (not saying anything about their faith but that faith doesn't make him a economic or business wizard (opps wrong faith)- business guru (wrong faith #2) business preacher.  We have Hollywood types who are called before Senate committees and treated as experts on some special cause that they are interested in.   Of course we have a reality star for a president and look where that got us.  It is one of my pet peeves that  just because a person can act (or not act in Robertson's case) they have earned the right to be heard on every subject under the sun.  It reminds me of King David's words in Psalm 131:1 Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. :rant

49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Looks like I was wrong about the SOTU. Early reports claim Trump thought the first draft went too easy on the Democrats, and asked to dial up the rancor.

I'm going to an open-mike comedy night instead of watching. 

It’s basically the same thing. 

14 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I feel like we'll be able to get some mileage out of this gif for a while:

Image result for nancy pelosi clapping gif

Here's a still shot from that moment. Trump couldn't have enjoyed the optics - Pelosi standing over him, clapping for him like a little kid. The only thing missing was her patting him on the head saying, "good job, little man."

4obGH4N.jpg

• Plus1 1