The Republican Utopia

1 minute ago, Fru said:

FWIW, other developed  nations don't seem to have this issue. 

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/26/u-s-lacks-mandated-paid-parental-leave/

"The U.S. is the only country among 41 nations that does not mandate any paid leave for new parents, according to data compiled by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)."

FT_16.09.19_parental_leave.png

We all want to believe we live in the greatest country in the world, but metric after metric shows us sliding down the scale.   I don't even know if I would put us in the top 10 of best countries to live right now.

• Plus1 6
11 minutes ago, sho said:

We all want to believe we live in the greatest country in the world, but metric after metric shows us sliding down the scale.   I don't even know if I would put us in the top 10 of best countries to live right now.

APOLOGY TOURIST !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sho said:

Preach.  Made me realize I hadn't watched this in awhile.  EVERYONE should watch this. (again)

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This guy is so awesome. Republicans should be so proud to have him as a mouth piece for the party. 

On his show Monday night, Carlson maintained on his show that he owed nobody an apology.

“We’ve always apologized when we’re wrong, and we’ll continue to do that. But we will never bow to the mob, ever,” Carlson said. "No matter what.”

You know, when I am in the middle of a harassment/discrimination investigation, and I meet with someone who has said terrible, offensive things about other people, they typically either deny it or express some kind of remorse such as "I didn't mean for it to sound that way." It is a rare kind of a$$h@!e who doubles down on his comments without apology and lashes out at others because of it. It is beyond reprehensible, maybe even evil. Carlson is that kind of guy (hell, most of the Fox News personalities like Hannity and Bill OReilly are much the same), and of course Trump is that kind of guy. 

Most people who are human pieces of crap are not aware of how douchey they are. These guys are well aware of their dickishness and in fact revel in it and use these horrible traits to rally support from their followers. Bastards all.

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Orwell would be proud.   The duplicity is just beyond the pale. It would be embarrassing to any one one tiny grain of ethical understanding.   Sometimes I'm just lost for words.  The Morality and Family party - not. :facepalm:

• Plus1 3
23 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Preach.  Made me realize I hadn't watched this in awhile.  EVERYONE should watch this. (again)

I had not seen that before.  Pretty straight forward.  the WE ARE THE GREATEST presents a false patriotism that doesn't recognizes our shortcomings which in turns prevents us from overcoming those shortcomings.  As noted the first step to solve a problem is to acknowledge it exists. 

Jeff Daniels is pretty amazing actor.  From the guy who could play a lead role in  Dumb and Dumber one year to a lead role in the mega movie Gettysburg the next (or maybe it was the other way around) tells me all I need to know about his talent. 

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I had not seen that before.  Pretty straight forward.  the WE ARE THE GREATEST presents a false patriotism that doesn't recognizes our shortcomings which in turns prevents us from overcoming those shortcomings.  As noted the first step to solve a problem is to acknowledge it exists. 

Jeff Daniels is pretty amazing actor.  From the guy who could play a lead role in  Dumb and Dumber one year to a lead role in the mega movie Gettysburg the next (or maybe it was the other way around) tells me all I need to know about his talent. 

You should check out the series. It's great television; Sorkin at his finest.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yep. There is a group of people, lets call them snowflakes, who freaks out any time you question anything about this country. It’s kinda weird how many of those same people think America wasn’t great before Trump came along...

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

You should check out the series. It's great television; Sorkin at his finest.

It was so, so so good!  TG, it's probably written with more of a liberal lean (Sorkin specialty) but there are some really great broad brush statements that ring true.  They did then and really do now.