The Republican Utopia

On 3/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, Landlord said:

You should check out the series. It's great television; Sorkin at his finest.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, NM11046 said:

It was so, so so good!  TG, it's probably written with more of a liberal lean (Sorkin specialty) but there are some really great broad brush statements that ring true.  They did then and really do now.

I prefer The West Wing (and Sports Night), but the first season of Newsroom was very, very good. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

People realize this is a thing right? Before the vaccine was available we had “pox parties”.

People used to ride horses everywhere, too, but it's 2019 and not only do we have automobiles, we also have vaccines for chicken pox, among other things. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

People realize this is a thing right? Before the vaccine was available we had “pox parties”.

Yeah, I remember my mother telling me about this. Something about how it's better to get out of the way younger so they'd try to get kids chicken pox intentionally. I think I got mine naturally, happened too young for me to remember.

What seemed logical then sure seems messed up now.

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

People used to ride horses everywhere, too, but it's 2019 and not only do we have automobiles, we also have vaccines for chicken pox, among other things. 

I don’t mean to say what he did was good.  But it also wasn’t some disgusting form of child abuse.  How old are the kids? The vaccine came out in 95.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

2 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Yeah, I remember my mother telling me about this. Something about how it's better to get out of the way younger so they'd try to get kids chicken pox intentionally. I think I got mine naturally, happened too young for me to remember.

What seemed logical then sure seems messed up now.

Well, I'm glad my mom didn't do this, seeing as I never got chicken pox even though the vaccine came out when I was a teenager and I never got it. (I didn't know there was a vaccine for chicken pox until today).

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

What's the scenario that allows for you to get shingles? Getting chicken pox as a kid? Or getting the vaccine, or what?

The Google machine says you have to get the pox first, but I'm not a doctor.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Well, I'm glad my mom didn't do this, seeing as I never got chicken pox even though the vaccine came out when I was a teenager and I never got it. (I didn't know there was a vaccine for chicken pox until today).

You should honestly talk to your doctor about the vaccine.  Getting the chicken  pox as an adult is very dangerous.

• Plus1 1