The Republican Utopia

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I may do that. Esp with all the dumbass parents out there. 

I got them at 17 (after my folks had exposed me multiple times and thought I'd either had a minor case already or was just immune) and it was terrible - in my ears and down my throat and more.  I can't imagine how bad it would be now.

Remember that un-democratic power grab the Wisconsin Republicans foisted on the public when Wisconsin elected a Democrat as governor last year?

Yeah. Funny story.  A judge has struck down the Republicans' attempts to rig the system.

Wisconsin Governor's Powers Restored After Restricted By Lame-Duck

A judge has struck down the laws Wisconsin Republicans passed in December's lame-duck session of the Legislature, restoring powers to Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, if only temporarily.

A county judge ruled Thursday that all of the laws and appointments passed by legislators were unlawful because they met in what's known as an "extraordinary session," which isn't explicitly allowed under the state constitution.

Gov. Evers seized on the decision almost immediately, calling on the Wisconsin Department of Justice, led by Democratic Attorney General Josh Kaul, to withdraw the state from a lawsuit that seeks to overturn the Affordable Care Act.

"As the governor has requested, please take whatever steps are necessary to remove Wisconsin from Texas v. United States," wrote Evers' chief legal counsel, Ryan Nilsestuen in an email to the Department of Justice shortly after the ruling was released.

Evers and Kaul campaigned on leaving the case, but one of the lame-duck laws has prevented them from following through on their pledge.

The ruling also temporarily struck down 82 appointments former Republican Gov. Scott Walker made during the waning days of his administration, all of which were confirmed by Republican state Senators in the lame-duck session.

If the ruling holds, those appointments would now be Evers' to make.

It's not a completely done deal, but it's a heartening step for anyone who loves democracy.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Remember that un-democratic power grab the Wisconsin Republicans foisted on the public when Wisconsin elected a Democrat as governor last year?

Yeah. Funny story.  A judge has struck down the Republicans' attempts to rig the system.

It's not a completely done deal, but it's a heartening step for anyone who loves democracy.

The fact they ever did it was vomit-inducing, and I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get rid of that judge. Wisconsin voters need to wake the hell up and vote their Republican state senators out of office for this.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The fact they ever did it was vomit-inducing, and I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get rid of that judge. Wisconsin voters need to wake the hell up and vote their Republican state senators out of office for this.

That sounds an awful lot like the time Pennsylvania Republicans threatened to impeach ONLY the Democrats on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for ruling gerrymandered maps unconstitutional.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the kind of s#!t that pisses me off and why honest debate is so hard. 

Even if it had never been done, that isn’t a good argument for not doing it. We’ve had 2 elections in the past 5 where the winner of the popular vote lost. We passed a stupid law in the early 20th century to prevent the # of reps from increasing. Gerrymandering is running rampant.

• Plus1 1

Temple Israel in Omaha had a holocaust survivor speak to the congregation last night and I went to listen. One of the questions at the end of her story was “do you see any similarities of the rise of Hitler and his rhetoric with what we are seeing right now in this country?” She read a poem to answer the question that one of her fellow survivors wrote. I remember most, but not every word. It said hitler never dies, he only slumbers. He will be back in the form of another. Wearing a suit. Speaking a different language. Spewing hatred and blaming others. There was more but that is the jist of it. I tried to look for the poem online but couldnt find anything. 

Then i wake up today and see this:

https://gritpost.com/trump-administration-immigrants-bridge/?fbclid=IwAR22L3-qk96yixOEPpucMkQbTLr5CBNGLEj-Y9vAVzd9iOoq4IydGIKSrKc

• Thanks 1

This is pathetic

By the way, Sam Seder is a great listen.  Very intelligent and uses facts to back up all his arguments.  He is a progressive, so his show is very left leaning, just an fyi. If you have time watch his debate with Charlie Kirk at politicon.  He wipes the floor with Charlie.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

This is pathetic

By the way, Sam Seder is a great listen.  Very intelligent and uses facts to back up all his arguments.  He is a progressive, so his show is very left leaning, just an fyi. If you have time watch his debate with Charlie Kirk at politicon.  He wipes the floor with Charlie.

Michael Brooks is a j@ck@$$.

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Temple Israel in Omaha had a holocaust survivor speak to the congregation last night and I went to listen. One of the questions at the end of her story was “do you see any similarities of the rise of Hitler and his rhetoric with what we are seeing right now in this country?” She read a poem to answer the question that one of her fellow survivors wrote. I remember most, but not every word. It said hitler never dies, he only slumbers. He will be back in the form of another. Wearing a suit. Speaking a different language. Spewing hatred and blaming others. There was more but that is the jist of it. I tried to look for the poem online but couldnt find anything. 

Then i wake up today and see this:

https://gritpost.com/trump-administration-immigrants-bridge/?fbclid=IwAR22L3-qk96yixOEPpucMkQbTLr5CBNGLEj-Y9vAVzd9iOoq4IydGIKSrKc

The moral majority party no longer.  True morality is not just that which is inward but also how we treat others.  The picture of these migrants in lockup under a bridge is not reflective of who we should be as a nation and it shows the moral corruptness we have fallen to when we allow the 'alien' or 'stranger' to be treated this way.   Yes, I believe in boarder security but individuals need to be treated with respect and dignity.   If criminals are found, then lock them up but families and those just looking for a better life - find a proper way of handling this type of situation.  Rent an indoor gym at least or get the churches involved or other non-profits to house and keep them while processing is done.  

Matthew 25: 31-40. “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”

Matthew chapter 25 is one of the most descriptive of all works that the Body of Christ, the church, is to do. These are ministries that the church should have and this includes visiting those in prison and those who are sick, clothing and feeding the poor, but also in showing kindness to strangers and make the feel welcome. Jesus sees it as this; “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me” (Matt 25:40). This means that what we do for strangers we are doing it for Christ Himself.

Hebrews 13:2 “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”

Exodus 22:21-22 “You shall not wrong a sojourner or oppress him, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt. You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child.”

Leviticus 25:35-36 “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you.”

Jeremiah 22:3 “Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.”

Exodus 12:49 “There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.”

Leviticus 24:22 “You shall have the same rule for the sojourner and for the native, for I am the Lord your God.”

Conclusion

How we treat others is reflective of how we have been treated. We’ve been shown great mercy and kindness and we should do the same to those who are considered strangers among us. We must remember that we too were foreigners to the household of faith but Jesus Christ broke down the wall of separation and reconciled us to Himself and for Him, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Gal 3:28). For us, we should say there is no male or female, Jew or Greek, bond or freeman and resident or alien. That’s what the Bible teaches in regards to how we should treat strangers.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2016/06/29/top-7-bible-verses-about-strangers/

• Plus1 2