The Republican Utopia

33 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's a part of the equation for some people though. It just doesn't tell the whole story by itself because for many people it could just mean they paid less during the year. But there is talk (from the Twitter thread) of certain work-related deductions not being available anymore. I don't know anything about it other than that, but if that's the case, for those people the refund being less was due to the new tax plan taking things away from them.

IMO the real way that it's not working is I know of companies with record profits that are reducing benefits for their workers.

Yes that is correct. Some of the deductions that helped the middle class lower their taxes were eliminated while deductions for corporations were added to help reduce their taxes. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It's a part of the equation for some people though. It just doesn't tell the whole story by itself because for many people it could just mean they paid less during the year. But there is talk (from the Twitter thread) of certain work-related deductions not being available anymore. I don't know anything about it other than that, but if that's the case, for those people the refund being less was due to the new tax plan taking things away from them.

IMO the real way that it's not working is I know of companies with record profits that are reducing benefits for their workers.

No...the only thing that counts is the total you paid all year....including your return. But without knowing what someone pays in, the return is meaningless. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Hi, checking in from one of those companies here. As I posted in another thread; we made a profit (really good year for us), I got a raise, and my bonus (which is based on a percentage of my salary) will be less this year than last. They found a way to blame it on something else though.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No...the only thing that counts is the total you paid all year....including your return. But without knowing what someone pays in, the return is meaningless. 

Exactly what I said. Including your return. What you get in your return is a part of that equation. And I explained this already but what you get in your return can’t be used by itself to tell the whole story. 

But the return isn’t meaningless when there are people saying they got $10,000 less in the return and only paid in slightly less during the year, and that $10K is due to the tax plan getting rid of deductions.

It's not just congress. It's every person who continues to support Trump to this day without the full knowledge of his financial dealings with foreign powers.

You simply cannot trust a person who will not be transparent with you. That people continue to do so is crazy to me.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

A GOP State rep who has served in the Iowa House for 40 years has switched. He is tired of Trump and cannot support him and therefore cannot support the party any longer.

He is now a Dem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-lawmaker-in-iowa-bolts-party-over-disapproval-with-trump-181958913.html

McKean, who was first elected to the Iowa Legislature 40 years ago, described Trump as a bully who “creates a breeding ground for hateful rhetoric and actions.” He also criticized Iowa’s GOP as having grown too conservative.

“I think the party has veered very sharply to the right,” McKean said. “That concerns me.”

While Republicans will still control a majority of 53 seats in the 100-member House, that’s down from a 59-seat majority

“We gladly welcome Andy McKean to the Democratic Party,” the state party said in a statement. “His decision to put people over politics shows his commitment to our state.”

Jeff Kaufmann, the chairman of the Iowa Republican Party, cast McKean’s move as a betrayal of the voters.

• Thanks 2

I wonder if anyone has tried suing the government for being underrepresented in the House due to the law that prevents the # of reps from increasing.

I’d be ok with the citizenship question being on the census if it weren’t for the fact that high population density voters are at a disadvantage in every other way when it comes to elections and representation.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I actually can't see how the question is unconstitutional and I don't have a problem with it.  The problem is with what will certain people do with the information.  That is where the battle needs to be had.

Agreed. It just bothers me, and should bother everyone else, that the Republicans only want to make things fair when it negatively affects the Democrats. 

Take California. IIRC they are short about 20 reps in the House right now.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed. It just bothers me, and should bother everyone else, that the Republicans only want to make things fair when it negatively affects the Democrats. 

Take California. IIRC they are short about 20 reps in the House right now.

I know it's just me.  But, I don't get too worked up because California might not be represented enough in government.  I'm sitting in a state where my vote doesn't mean one damn thing on the national level.

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know it's just me.  But, I don't get too worked up because California might not be represented enough in government.  I'm sitting in a state where my vote doesn't mean one damn thing on the national level.

Your vote is given more weight than any Californian’s vote.

If you care about one side being overrepresented because non citizens are counted, you should care about the other side being overrepresented because of a law that makes no sense. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1