The Republican Utopia

11 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends-backs-seal-accused-of-shooting-little-girl-these-are-the-good-guys/

As if this administration couldnt sink any lower, now they are pardoning war criminals. 

While I have nothing but respect for those who choose to serve our country, I'm growing increasingly appalled by how much we fetishize military service and "honoring the troops" as I age. Pro sports leagues use it basically as a fundraiser to move merch by "partnering" with the military so it's just thrust on those of us that like to watch sports. And then the talk of Trump wanting a military parade in D.C. is also something that didn't sit well with me.

But it's one of those areas of life you have to be careful discussing, because as soon as you make even the most milquetoast critique of how we deify the military (who are, after all, just Americans like the rest of us), you get half the populace that jumps your sh#t and utterly loses their mind because they can't deal with anyone "criticizing the troops."

Well, this is a time to talk about it. The acts described here are disgusting and wicked. This man is a war criminal who should not be pardoned. That Trump would do so strictly to double down on how much he "loves" the troops is more proof he's despicable and completely devoid of humanity. He's trying to symbolically do it on Memorial Day, too, so it gets more attention. What an utterly evil, gross thing to do.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

While I have nothing but respect for those who choose to serve our country, I'm growing increasingly appalled by how much we fetishize military service and "honoring the troops" as I age. Pro sports leagues use it basically as a fundraiser to move merch by "partnering" with the military so it's just thrust on those of us that like to watch sports. And then the talk of Trump wanting a military parade in D.C. is also something that didn't sit well with me.

But it's one of those areas of life you have to be careful discussing, because as soon as you make even the most milquetoast critique of how we deify the military (who are, after all, just Americans like the rest of us), you get half the populace that jumps your sh#t and utterly loses their mind because they can't deal with anyone "criticizing the troops."

Well, this is a time to talk about it. The acts described here are disgusting and wicked. This man is a war criminal who should not be pardoned. That Trump would do so strictly to double down on how much he "loves" the troops is more proof he's despicable and completely devoid of humanity. He's trying to symbolically do it on Memorial Day, too, so it gets more attention. What an utterly evil, gross thing to do.

It was Seals who testified against him, so I wonder how they feel about this.

The punishment should be more severe for a member of the military in a position of such power to do something like this. The idea of pardoning him is disgusting.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yeah, this is a tough conversation to have. Anyone willing to risk and sacrifice for the greater good deserves our respect. The stakes are obviously higher in the military, but that's not the only place where profound sacrifices are made by everyday Americans. The military produces some incredibly thoughtful young people who bring a valuable perspective to any number of professions they pursue after their service. I'm always interested in hearing the military POV --- which is often more realistic and less partisan than some pretend. 

But if you bother to scratch the surface, the notion that American service people fight and die for our American freedoms is not true. It makes a lot of us feel better, but it's a lie that's disrespectful to the men and women who make the sacrifice. American freedoms have not been directly threatened, not even by Pearl Harbor, and the idea that they risk their lives to export American-style freedom and democracy to other nations has become a cruel joke. Men who risk nothing send young people to war to line pockets, feed egos, and play games, and it's probably been that way forever. You can respect the military but question the "patriotism" of leaders who don't really like democracy at all. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

That's a good point, Guy. The people that simply use our treatment of service members to harvest votes, power and money are equally gross.

Thought this was worth sharing.

Like I've said a lot, Trump's words and actions causing tremendous damage to both us as a people  and the world. This is the type.of action that would implicitly encourage war crimes.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

That's a good point, Guy. The people that simply use our treatment of service members to harvest votes, power and money are equally gross.

Thought this was worth sharing.

Like I've said a lot, Trump's words and actions causing tremendous damage to both us as a people  and the world. This is the type.of action that would implicitly encourage war crimes.

What do you mean? Trump does encourage war crimes. Just make sure you are on our side and you are doing it to brown people. Donald will call you a hero.