The Republican Utopia

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

McConnell says they would fill an opening on the Supreme Court if there's one in 2020. I'm sure this is shocking to everyone. Republicans need to stop supporting this s#!t or stop being Republicans.

I’m not a McConnell fan, but would you expect any congressman to say any different from either side in the same situation?

i actually thought the question was pretty stupid. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not a McConnell fan, but would you expect any congressman to say any different from either side in the same situation?

Um, we should expect it. None of them should be lying sacks of s#!t. If it's not right to name a judge to the Supreme Court during an election year when a Democrat is in charge, then it's not right to name a judge to the Supreme Court during an election year when a Republican is in charge. It's going to lead to worse, like not voting on a judge for a vacancy for 4 years if one party holds the Senate and someone from the other "team" is in charge. It's another in a long list of things that is wrong with our government right now. We should desire for neither party to do this.

2016:

"The American people may well elect a president who decides to nominate Judge Garland for Senate consideration. The next president may also nominate someone very different. Either way, our view is this: Give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy.”

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice,” McConnell said. “Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Um, we should expect it. None of them should be lying sacks of s#!t. If it's not right to name a judge to the Supreme Court during an election year when a Democrat is in charge, then it's not right to name a judge to the Supreme Court during an election year when a Republican is in charge. It's going to lead to worse, like not voting on a judge for a vacancy for 4 years if one party holds the Senate and someone from the other "team" is in charge. It's another in a long list of things that is wrong with our government right now. We should desire for neither party to do this.

2016:

"The American people may well elect a president who decides to nominate Judge Garland for Senate consideration. The next president may also nominate someone very different. Either way, our view is this: Give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy.”

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice,” McConnell said. “Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

Sure, he’s a piece of crap. 

But, are you says if the Dems were in charge in the Senate they would hold off and not try to nominate and confirm someone before the election???

if that’s what you think, you’re delusional. 

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, are you says if the Dems were in charge in the Senate they would hold off and not try to nominate and confirm someone before the election??? 

They've never done it before.

We can't keep both-sidesing everything because "politicians are bad." There are levels of bad, and one party is clearly several levels of bad worse than the other party.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure, he’s a piece of crap. 

if that’s what you think, you’re delusional. 

Huh? I just said what they did is going to lead to worse. Neither party should wait just because it’s an election year.

What I’m saying is McConnell was full of s#!t when he gave the reason for waiting in 2016. Now that Trump is president he’s turning around and doing the opposite. We should desire politicians who don’t do that kind of thing. They should have convictions they hold to and not outright lie to the public.

The Republicans never should have held off in 2016. It was their job to take it to the floor. You shouldn’t be okay with what they did. It was unprecedented and wrong. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They've never done it before.

We can't keep both-sidesing everything because "politicians are bad." There are levels of bad, and one party is clearly several levels of bad worse than the other party.

When did the Democrats nominate Garland and try to get him confirmed?

I'll save you the google search.  Scallia died February 13th 2016 (election year).  On March 16th 2016, Obama nominated Garland.  Republicans did whatever they could to stall and after the election, his nomination expired.  During that time is when McConnell stated how horrible it would be for Dems to nominate and try to pass through a judge before the election.  He's a piece of crap and now he's obviously done a complete 180 and doesn't give a crap about how bad it looks.

BUT.....to say that the Dems wouldn't try to nominate and confirm a judge in an election year is only true if some how the Dems completely changed their view on the move.

This isn't a worthless "both sides" argument when just a few years ago "both sides" did just the opposite of what they both have faux outrage about now.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When did the Democrats nominate Garland and try to get him confirmed?

I'll save you the google search.  Scallia died February 13th 2016 (election year).  On March 16th 2016, Obama nominated Garland.  Republicans did whatever they could to stall and after the election, his nomination expired.  During that time is when McConnell stated how horrible it would be for Dems to nominate and try to pass through a judge before the election.  He's a piece of crap and now he's obviously done a complete 180 and doesn't give a crap about how bad it looks.

BUT.....to say that the Dems wouldn't try to nominate and confirm a judge in an election year is only true if some how the Dems completely changed their view on the move.

This isn't a worthless "both sides" argument when just a few years ago "both sides" did just the opposite of what they both have faux outrage about now.

I think @knapplc read your post wrong. I did at first too because it didn’t make sense as a reply. The Democrat senators did exactly what their job was in 2016 when there was a vacancy and a judge was nominated. The Democrats have every right to be outraged by McConnell’s complete 180 on his so called beliefs. He should do his job regardless of what party the president is a member of. He lied through his teeth in 2016 and didn’t do his job. 

• Plus1 1