The Republican Utopia

1 minute ago, FrankWheeler said:

They have because it was a normal thing to do before McConnell wouldn't allow it in 2016.

Am I confused? I read that @BigRedBuster is saying Democrats will delay future nominations because they've done it before. I'm reading this to say that you believe that delaying votes like what was done to Merrick Garland is a normal thing to do.

Am I reading you two wrong?

And if not, can you give me examples of when a nominee has been treated the way Garland was treated? Because at the time, the big stink was that this was unprecedented.

Just now, knapplc said:

Am I confused? I read that @BigRedBuster is saying Democrats will delay future nominations because they've done it before. I'm reading this to say that you believe that delaying votes like what was done to Merrick Garland is a normal thing to do.

And if not, can you give me examples of when a nominee has been treated the way Garland was treated? Because at the time, the big stink was that this was unprecedented.

My original post was stating that the a Democrat in the same position McConnell is in would say, "We WILL nominate and confirm a judge next year".

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I read it that he is only saying that Democrats have nominated a justice during an election year.  

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Where did I say that?

Ok, you’re saying (paraphrased) every politician would say that. I think McConnell’s statement that they’d vote on a judge in 2020 is perfectly fine, in a vacuum. It’s their job to do that. 

This is quite interesting:

Since 1955, every Supreme Court nominee confirmed during a period of divided government has been nominated by a Republican president and confirmed by a Democratic Senate. That accounts for 11 nominees in total:

Justice Clarence Thomas (George H. W. Bush, 1991)

Justice David Souter (George H. W. Bush, 1990)

Justice Anthony Kennedy (Ronald Reagan, 1988)

Justice John Paul Stevens (Gerald Ford, 1975)

Justice William Rehnquist (Richard Nixon, 1971)

Justice Lewis Powell (Richard Nixon, 1971)

Justice Harry Blackmun (Richard Nixon, 1970)

Chief Justice Warren Burger (Richard Nixon, 1969)

Justice Charles Whitaker (Dwight Eisenhower, 1957)

Justice William Brennan (Dwight Eisenhower, 1957)

Justice John Marshall Harlan (Dwight Eisenhower, 1955)

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm.....

Hmmm what? It’s right for Senators to do their jobs. The Republicans didn’t do their jobs in 2016 and McConnell gave a fake, bulls#!t reason for it and they stole a judge from Obama. McConnell’ss an a$$h@!e for now saying he doesn’t hold that belief anymore. The truth is he never held it. That’s what I’ve been saying the whole time.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Hmmm what? It’s right for Senators to do their jobs. The Republicans didn’t do their jobs in 2016 and McConnell gave a fake, bulls#!t reason for it and they stole a judge from Obama. McConnell’ss an a$$h@!e for now saying he doesn’t hold that belief anymore. The truth is he never held it. That’s what I’ve been saying the whole time.

And, my original statement had nothing to do with that.  You put words in my mouth claiming that I was perfectly fine with his 180 and his actions in 2016.

More interesting supreme court nomination stuff:

The most recent president to fill a Supreme Court vacancy during an election year is Ronald Reagan. In 1988, the Democratically-controlled Senate unanimously confirmed Reagan’s nominee to the Court, Anthony Kennedy.  The 13 presidents who have filled Supreme Court vacancies during a presidential election year are:

George Washington (1796, Justice Samuel Chase and Chief Justice Oliver Elsworth)

Thomas Jefferson (1804, Justice William Johnson)

Andrew Jackson (1836, Justice Philip Barbour and Chief Justice Roger Taney)

Abraham Lincoln (1864, Chief Justice Salmon Chase)

Ulysses S. Grant (1872, Justice Ward Hunt)

Rutherford Hayes (1880, Justice William Woods)

Grover Cleveland (1888, Justice Lucius Lamar and Chief Justice Melville Fuller)

Benjamin Harrison (1892, Justice George Shiras, Jr.)

William Taft (1912, Justice Mahlon Pitney)

Woodrow Wilson (1916, Justices Louis Brandeis and John Clarke)

Herbert Hoover (1932, Justice Benjamin Cardozo)

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1940, Justice Frank Murphy)

Ronald Reagan (1988, Justice Anthony Kennedy)

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, my original statement had nothing to do with that.  You put words in my mouth claiming that I was perfectly fine with his 180 and his actions in 2016.

You misread that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was stating you were fine with the statement he gave by itself, but treating it in a vacuum. I wasn’t saying you were fine with the 180 or what he did in 2016.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You misread that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was stating you were fine with the statement he gave by itself, but treating it in a vacuum. I wasn’t saying you were fine with the 180 or what he did in 2016.

I didn't even say I was fine with his statement.