The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, FrankWheeler said:

More interesting supreme court nomination stuff:

The most recent president to fill a Supreme Court vacancy during an election year is Ronald Reagan. In 1988, the Democratically-controlled Senate unanimously confirmed Reagan’s nominee to the Court, Anthony Kennedy.  The 13 presidents who have filled Supreme Court vacancies during a presidential election year are:

George Washington (1796, Justice Samuel Chase and Chief Justice Oliver Elsworth)

Thomas Jefferson (1804, Justice William Johnson)

Andrew Jackson (1836, Justice Philip Barbour and Chief Justice Roger Taney)

Abraham Lincoln (1864, Chief Justice Salmon Chase)

Ulysses S. Grant (1872, Justice Ward Hunt)

Rutherford Hayes (1880, Justice William Woods)

Grover Cleveland (1888, Justice Lucius Lamar and Chief Justice Melville Fuller)

Benjamin Harrison (1892, Justice George Shiras, Jr.)

William Taft (1912, Justice Mahlon Pitney)

Woodrow Wilson (1916, Justices Louis Brandeis and John Clarke)

Herbert Hoover (1932, Justice Benjamin Cardozo)

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1940, Justice Frank Murphy)

Ronald Reagan (1988, Justice Anthony Kennedy)

Good history work there Frank.    We have to remember that the Anthony Kennedy nomination and approval by the senate came after the very contentious nomination of Judge Bork and the phrase that followed that situation of being "Borked'.    Kennedy ended up being a good moderate option as he was that swing vote for many years.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Clarence Thomas has been on the Supreme Court for almost 30 years?

Wow.

And he's asked very few question while on the court.  I guess he is a good listener!!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/29/468576931/clarence-thomas-asks-1st-question-from-supreme-court-bench-in-10-years

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas drew gasps on Monday when he asked several questions during oral arguments.

Thomas, who hadn't asked a question since Feb. 22, 2006, broke 10 years of near silence during a case, Voisine v. U.S., involving a federal law preventing people convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence from owning firearms.

The justices were hearing appeals from two Maine men who say their guilty pleas for hitting their partners should not disqualify them from gun ownership. The hourlong session was coming to a close when Thomas leaned forward and spoke into the microphone to ask Justice Department lawyer Ilana Eisenstein whether a misdemeanor conviction of any other law "suspends a constitutional right," The Associated Press reports.

If you want to know why people continue to support Trump, look no further than right here.

I've said this many times before. Fox News is the greatest threat to American democracy. They will lead us into an Autocracy or a Theocracy if they can.

IGNORE THE HEADLINE

Lower told NBC News that since he announced his primary challenge after Amash voiced his support for impeachment proceedings, he’s received a significant amount of support.

"I just think he’s a very slim minority of people who have come to that conclusion, and that’s not surprising because in Congress he is usually a lone 'no' vote or he thinks that he is smarter than everyone or he thinks somehow he sees things that they aren’t," Lower said. "Frankly, it’s out of step with reality and its out of step with where the voters are at."

Cathy Garnaat, a Republican who supported Amash and the president said she was upset about Amash’s position but wanted to hear his reasoning. She said that she will definitely support Trump in 2020 but that Tuesday night was the first time she had heard that the Mueller report didn’t completely exonerate the president.

“I was surprised to hear there was anything negative in the Mueller report at all about President Trump. I hadn’t heard that before," she said. "I’ve mainly listened to conservative news and I hadn’t heard anything negative about that report and President Trump has been exonerated."

Cheryl Wanless, a Republican who has supported Amash, said she was confused by his position but after hearing him speak, doesn't “have a problem proceeding with" impeachment.

“Though in the back of my mind, I know it is not going to pass the Senate most likely," she said. "But if the process has to go this far, I think that’s fine — go ahead."

Amash expressed criticism of Trump beyond the Mueller inquiry. He said that the government at the top is lacking in ethics and morality, which he says matter.

He told an African American man who wondered why Trump was being demonized when the president has helped minorities.

Amash countered by saying that many would disagree and that is the president “demonizes” people.

“Why are people so angry with each other when the economy is doing so well?” Amash rhetorically asked. “I think it’s because of the tone the people are setting at the top.”

Emphasis mine.

When people come here and flat out will not hear any criticism of Trump, it's because they only consume conservative news, and that news is brainwashing them.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

When people come here and flat out will not hear any criticism of Trump, it's because they only consume conservative news, and that news is brainwashing them.

Agree.  You have to listen and read other sources.  Every source has a bias.  Listening to just one source leaves you with half truths - and most likely the wrong half. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Never heard of the guy - that is a good thing.   Pretty amazing 

LINK

Well, he was part of the "hire the best" group that first came in.

File:Gorka- 'Rebuild Relationships Broken in Last Eight Years'.webm

Gorka on a panel at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February 2017

In January 2017, Gorka was appointed Deputy Assistant to the President and Strategist in the Trump White House.[28][40] He was a member of a White House team known as the Strategic Initiatives Group, which was set up by White House advisors Steve Bannon and Jared Kushner.[40] The Strategic Initiatives Group never got off the ground, and Gorka failed to obtain the security clearance necessary for work on national security issues.[41][42] Questions were raised as to what Gorka's precise roles and duties were within the Trump administration.[43][44]

In April 2017, The Washington Examiner reported that the Trump administration was planning to move Gorka to a role outside the White House;[45] however, in May 2017 The Daily Beast reported that Trump and Bannon had intervened to retain Gorka in his position.[46]

On August 25, 2017, Gorka's White House tenure ended, one week after Bannon's departure.[47][48] Gorka stated that he had resigned because White House officials were "undermining" the Make America Great Again (MAGA) Platform.[49] The White House disputed his claim that he resigned and confirmed he was no longer employed there and did not have further access to the White House grounds.[50][51][52]