The Republican Utopia

@TGHusker, you mentioned Democrats in Texas.

FYI the Republicans in Oregon have used this tactic at least twice; to stop a bill to fund education and a bill to cap emissions.

The Democrats in Texas walked out to stop a racist and undemocratic redistricting bill.

These are not the same. I'm not saying I approve of the tactic in either case, but when someone's using this tactic to defend democracy and stop disenfranchisement based on race, I'm not going to view it in as negative a light as I am for not wanting to better fund education or slow down the negative effects of climate change.

The US Supreme Court issued an opinion on the case in League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry on June 28, 2006. While the Court said states are free to redistrict as often as desired, the justices ruled that Texas's 23rd congressional district was invalid, as it violated Section 2 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act by racial gerrymandering. This decision required lawmakers to adjust boundaries in line with the Court's ruling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Texas_redistricting

• Plus1 1

On 6/23/2019 at 12:53 PM, Moiraine said:

@TGHusker, you mentioned Democrats in Texas.

FYI the Republicans in Oregon have used this tactic at least twice; to stop a bill to fund education and a bill to cap emissions.

The Democrats in Texas walked out to stop a racist and undemocratic redistricting bill.

These are not the same. I'm not saying I approve of the tactic in either case, but when someone's using this tactic to defend democracy and stop disenfranchisement based on race, I'm not going to view it in as negative a light as I am for not wanting to better fund education or slow down the negative effects of climate change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Texas_redistricting

I'm in agreement.  I could not remember the reason the Dems left in Texas - just that it may news here in Okla because I believe they camped out at a hotel just north of Texas in Ardmore, Ok.   I wasn't adding any kind of moral equivalency to my post. 

13 hours ago, TheSker said:

Well, it's not a recent thing

......so political theater might be an appropriate descriptor.

Donald Trump rapes people. Bringing that up at any time is not political theatre, it's just the truth. We don't want rapists as our President.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You literally just tried justifying brushing off a man raping a woman as no big deal. 

Interesting. 

But Bill Clinton should probably be jailed for what he and Hillary did to all those women...