The Republican Utopia

Just remember as the red states start to open, such as Florida opening their beaches as cases continue to rise and they have their New York City moment In two-three weeks. And republicans protestIng in states where it looked like they were starting to get this under control like Michigan who will have a rise again in a few weeks because of this. Remember that not all republicans are idiots but all idiots are republican. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Am I the only one that doesn't feel like my rights are being violated?  

Depends on which rights.  But, in general.... No. You are not the only one.  In General, I a don't walk around feeling like my rights are being violated by the tyrannical US government, Left wing liberal Cabal, or the New World Order or anything of the sorts.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, there are idiots in all political groups. I’m actually surprised you even wrote such an elitist comment. 

It was a joke, but I am pissed that these selfish losers are putting others at risk and healthcare workers at risk because they cant go to their neighborhood applebees once a month for dinner. And in this case, these selfish losers in this case are all or at least 90% republican. Democrats have idiots also, but at least they believe in science for the most part and in this case their stupidity cant get people killed. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Depends on which rights.  But, in general.... No. You are not the only one.  In General, I a don't walk around feeling like my rights are being violated by the tyrannical US government, Left wing liberal Cabal, or the New World Order or anything of the sorts.

You probably don't spend a lot of time in an echo chamber that riles you up and tells you who is savaging your rights and ripping you off every single day.

Right-wing media is poison anymore. And it's not exactly the same but I've seen the same perpetual victimhood complex being pushed in leftist media now, too.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You probably don't spend a lot of time in an echo chamber that riles you up and tells you who is savaging your rights and ripping you off every single day.

Right-wing media is poison anymore. And it's not exactly the same but I've seen the same perpetual victimhood complex being pushed in leftist media now, too.

I joked about "crazy" people getting out of hand in the Political Cartoon thread.  But was really only half joking...

There is media on both sides that profit off of stirring the pot and making the audience feel like they can't trust anyone else.  That's how businesses work; if I own a restaurant, I'll do whatever I can to make sure my patrons want to make my business a regular part of their life.

But this isn't about preferring one pizza crust over another, this is starting to effect how we elect our government and in some cases effects how our elected officials govern.  At what point do we need to address free speech and the First Amendment?  Our current educational apparatuses apparently aren't working....

18 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Well, I’ve been told multiple times that this place is an echo chamber. 

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I joked about "crazy" people getting out of hand in the Political Cartoon thread.  But was really only half joking...

There is media on both sides that profit off of stirring the pot and making the audience feel like they can't trust anyone else.  That's how businesses work; if I own a restaurant, I'll do whatever I can to make sure my patrons want to make my business a regular part of their life.

But this isn't about preferring one pizza crust over another, this is starting to effect how we elect our government and in some cases effects how our elected officials govern.  At what point do we need to address free speech and the First Amendment?  Our current educational apparatuses apparently aren't working....

It seems like you're asking how we stop people from choosing to continually consume propaganda that radicalizes them and worsens the partisan divide. And I'm not sure. It's really hard and ethically pretty hairy to talk about clamping down on people's right to choose what they pay attention to, even if it's utter trash.

It's definitely starting to spill over into politics in a way that has societal effects, though.

I've heard talk of re-instituting a modern Fairness Doctrine but I'm not sure how that would even work and it probably wouldn't touch major sources of some of the worst stuff like social media and talk radio. So I'm not sure that's viable.

I think the best thing we can do is take personal responsibility to make sure we're not consuming much if any of the junk media, stay informed and work to spread that to our loved ones and friends. I do think improving public education, particularly civics courses, could go a long way towards improving things in the long-run.

Perhaps @Enhance could lend some expertise as far as the media stuff goes. That's his territory.