The Republican Utopia

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is so transparently retaliatory for efforts to remove Marjorie Taylor-Greene from congress. Omar's tweets were made years ago. There's no reason they'd suddenly care now other than the Democrat efforts to censure the Qidiot. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So those GOP dumbasses are essentially acknowledging that inappropriate and/or inflammatory social media posts should be grounds for disciplinary action or removal. So after that admission, it is time to look at the conduct of each person to see which is more egregious and which repercussions are more appropriate. Of course, Omar's comments from 2 years ago are nowhere in the same ballpark as MTG's. Showing outrage over Omar's tepid remarks while enabling the rhetoric of people like Trump and MTG for years further exposes the GOP for the clowns that they are.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Ulty said:

So those GOP dumbasses are essentially acknowledging that inappropriate and/or inflammatory social media posts should be grounds for disciplinary action or removal. So after that admission, it is time to look at the conduct of each person to see which is more egregious and which repercussions are more appropriate. Of course, Omar's comments from 2 years ago are nowhere in the same ballpark as MTG's. Showing outrage over Omar's tepid remarks while enabling the rhetoric of people like Trump and MTG for years further exposes the GOP for the clowns that they are.

This was my thoughts exactly.  By doing this obviously retaliatory action, they basically prove they agree that MTG needs to be removed.  

Have to admit, I don't know what tweets or comments this is about with Omar.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This was my thoughts exactly.  By doing this obviously retaliatory action, they basically prove they agree that MTG needs to be removed.  

Have to admit, I don't know what tweets or comments this is about with Omar.

I'm not sure if this is everything, but a Forbes article drew specific attention to this:

The House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in 2019 after Omar said pro-Israel groups “push for allegiance to a foreign country,” which lawmakers in both parties alleged was an anti-Semitic “dual loyalty” trope – though removing her from committees was never seriously discussed or considered.

Seems like another case of whataboutism. Omar's comments at the time appear to be quite poor, but they're unrelated to MTG and should be treated as such. And, personally, I think MTG represents a much more tangible and legitimate threat. This whole conspiracy theorist, radicalized, 'Trump first' mentality in the Republican party needs to be stamped out.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm not sure if this is everything, but a Forbes article drew specific attention to this:

Seems like another case of whataboutism. Omar's comments at the time appear to be quite poor, but they're unrelated to MTG and should be treated as such. And, personally, I think MTG represents a much more tangible and legitimate threat. This whole conspiracy theorist, radicalized, 'Trump first' mentality in the Republican party needs to be stamped out.

That is worth a discussion.  Pro Israel group HAVE pushed for support for Israel in a way that is worth discussing and I have questioned our support here in the past too....just like about any other country.

However, this is NOWHERE even in the same universe as that crap MTG spews on a regular basis.

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, GSG said:

Totally believable that she drove more than the circumference of the Earth :rolleyes:

Colorado's 3rd Congressional District is about 280 miles x about 240 miles (at its widest point). 

Should be easy to prove that she essentially drove the length & breadth of her district in excess of 80 times in a few months.

:rolleyes:

I thought "meh, that District is huge, over 67,000 square miles"...it could be legit.

Until I read the embedded article and not just the tweets...

To justify those reimbursements, Boebert would have had to drive 38,712 miles while campaigning, despite having no publicly advertised campaign events in March, April or July, and only one in May. Furthermore, because the reimbursements came in two payments — a modest $1,060 at the end of March and $21,200 on Nov. 11 — Boebert would have had to drive 36,870 miles in just over seven months between April 1 and Nov. 11 to justify the second payment.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I thought "meh, that District is huge, over 67,000 square miles"...it could be legit.

Until I read the embedded article and not just the tweets...

To justify those reimbursements, Boebert would have had to drive 38,712 miles while campaigning, despite having no publicly advertised campaign events in March, April or July, and only one in May. Furthermore, because the reimbursements came in two payments — a modest $1,060 at the end of March and $21,200 on Nov. 11 — Boebert would have had to drive 36,870 miles in just over seven months between April 1 and Nov. 11 to justify the second payment.

So she drove over 36,000 miles in:

June

August

September

October

Because she had no events in April, and only one in May.

Which means she would have had to drive 300 miles a day, every day, in June, August, September and October, plus her one day in May.

That seems implausible.

• Plus1 4