The Republican Utopia

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I can guarantee you he was deferring to many of those people too.  As someone who has listened to his show quite a few times, middle class folks represent the majority of his callers looking for financial guidance from the debt they have incurred.  
A one time $600 payment will help pay a bill or two and without some structural change, the bills will just come back. 

Agreed with the bolded, but then it stills begs the question of who he believes is expecting a "life-changing" experience from a $600 stimulus check? Because I think the vast majority of people are acutely aware of the fact that $600 isn't going to do that.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed with the bolded, but then it stills begs the question of who he believes is expecting a "life-changing" experience from a $600 stimulus check? Because I think the vast majority of people are acutely aware of the fact that $600 isn't going to do that.

A lot of people in this discussion are keying in on the term "life changing." Maybe instead we can think of this money as "life saving" for some folks around the country who are truly struggling. Would that change the tone of the conversation? 

That $600, or any amount, can help keep the lights on, food on the table, gas in the car to get to work, or a roof over a family's head for another month.

• Plus1 4

She is plethora of bad ideas.

The man made a living off of being racist, homophobic and bigoted, and yet America should 'honor' him by flying flags at half staff? It's interesting that the pinned tweet on her account talks about supporting her financially in order to "stand up for our values" and this is the kind of stuff she apparently values.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The man made a living off of being racist, homophobic and bigoted

He isn’t racist, he has apologized for his past gay slurs and yes he plays chauvinist on radio at times but it’s Schtick and even his female audience knows it.  

still he does not deserve flags at half staff and that Congress lady knows it.  Her pandering makes her looks less intelligent 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He isn’t racist

Let me first get out of the way that I'm glad you agree he doesn't deserve the half staff, she knows it, and she's pandering.

However, how was he not racist? He said objectively racist things throughout his whole career. He made his millions off of saying despicable things about other people in general. Where's this weird line in the sand that protects you from being a racist but being simultaneously allowed to say racist things?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Let me first get out of the way that I'm glad you agree he doesn't deserve the half staff, she knows it, and she's pandering.

However, how was he not racist? He said objectively racist things throughout his whole career. He made his millions off of saying despicable things about other people in general. Where's this weird line in the sand that protects you from being a racist but being simultaneously allowed to say racist things?

Saying a racist comment (which is most of the time racist in the eyes of whoever wants to make it so) makes one a racist?  I think not.  Otherwise Joe Biden is racist many times over. 

How many racists hire a minority as their top employee?  How many racists advocate for advancement of all Americans regardless of color?  People think he is racist because he doesn’t pander to a certain demographic.  He doesn’t do the identity politics. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Ulty said:

A lot of people in this discussion are keying in on the term "life changing." Maybe instead we can think of this money as "life saving" for some folks around the country who are truly struggling. Would that change the tone of the conversation? 

That $600, or any amount, can help keep the lights on, food on the table, gas in the car to get to work, or a roof over a family's head for another month.

I've always been self-employed, so I've never been comfortable without a lot of money in the bank. I also had a prudent Depresseion-era Dad to teach me about saving, and a considerable middle-class safety net. Gotta admit I was one of the people who rolled my eyes about the $600 payment, wondering what kind of change it could really make. 

Then I remember talking to a waitress a few years ago. Small resort town and she had time to talk and tell us her life story. Something about her brother who was always on hard times, and how she was proud of her own finances. "I always keep at least $100 in the bank," she told us, "because you never know what might happen. That's what I always tell my brother."

We were kinda flabbergasted -- what kind of cushion is $100, even as a single person in a small town? 

But there are a lot of those people in America. I believe the current figure is 40% of Americans have less than $500 in the bank at any time. 

• Plus1 2