The Republican Utopia

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What I mean is that "conservatism" is no longer about conservative values of decades past, but instead it means hating liberals and opposing anything liberals support. Rush has contributed to the definition changing.

We are saying the same thing in differing ways.  

The only reason Rush is considered conservative is because he said hateful things about liberals. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

This picture, The Republican Club, always bothered me for whom it had sitting at the table.   I have some questions:

Why would the painter give such a prominent seat to Trump & Nixon? The 2 most ethically challenged of the club. While history is looking more favorably upon Nixon's overall accomplishments in spite of Watergate, I doubt is will be so friendly towards Trump long term. 

Why is Lincoln's back to the viewer? - he should be at the center of the conversation - eyes on him.  Many historians rank him as the greatest president ever, with Washington second. 

Why is Grant so far back off to left by the pole?   History is looking more kindly upon his presidency and reevaluating it in the context of its time. 

I would remove GWB, Trump, and Nixon and replace with  Grant, McKinley, GHWB.  Move Trump towards the rear of the painting & Nixon near Coolidge- who is looking over TR's shoulder.  Move Taft up to take GHWB spot standing near the table.  GWB would move further back. 

Of course the painting has one obvious eye catching feature - it shows a female walking up towards the table.  Was that to be Sarah Palin? Or was it just a signal that one day a female GOP president would be elected who would crash this male club. 

Here is a 2017 C-Span ranking of presidents by presidential historians. 

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2017/?page=overall

Here is an interesting article comparing Trump to what the author claims are the top 3 GOP presidents - Lincoln, TR, Eisenhower (hard to argue wt that list.  The historians, in the link above, rank Reagan # 4 of the group - 9th overall)

https://greenstarsproject.org/2020/10/04/best-republican-presidents-trump-republican-party-values/

19381therepublicanclubcat1__75156.160556

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This picture, The Republican Club, always bothered me for whom it had sitting at the table.   I have some questions:

Why would the painter give such a prominent seat to Trump & Nixon? The 2 most ethically challenged of the club. While history is looking more favorably upon Nixon's overall accomplishments in spite of Watergate, I doubt is will be so friendly towards Trump long term. 

Why is Lincoln's back to the viewer? - he should be at the center of the conversation - eyes on him.  Many historians rank him as the greatest president ever, with Washington second. 

Why is Grant so far back off to left by the pole?   History is looking more kindly upon his presidency and reevaluating it in the context of its time. 

I would remove GWB, Trump, and Nixon and replace with  Grant, McKinley, GHWB.  Move Trump towards the rear of the painting & Nixon near Coolidge- who is looking over TR's shoulder.  Move Taft up to take GHWB spot standing near the table.  GWB would move further back. 

Of course the painting has one obvious eye catching feature - it shows a female walking up towards the table.  Was that to be Sarah Palin? Or was it just a signal that one day a female GOP president would be elected who would crash this male club. 

Here is a 2017 C-Span ranking of presidents by presidential historians. 

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2017/?page=overall

Here is an interesting article comparing Trump to what the author claims are the top 3 GOP presidents - Lincoln, TR, Eisenhower (hard to argue wt that list.  The historians, in the link above, rank Reagan # 4 of the group - 9th overall)

https://greenstarsproject.org/2020/10/04/best-republican-presidents-trump-republican-party-values/

19381therepublicanclubcat1__75156.160556

Pretty sure none of those guys would be sitting around having a good chuckle with Trump...maybe about Trump.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Pretty sure none of those guys would be sitting around having a good chuckle with Trump...maybe about Trump.

Just now, TGHusker said:

Yep - and that would include Nixon. 

The artist who did this has done the same kind of painting for the last four or five presidents. 

us-presidents-poker-painting-grand-gang.

us-presidents-poker-panting.jpg

the-democratic-club-30x45-final.jpg

1*4kdKGezggMgU7W8eRhkVtg.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The artist who did this has done the same kind of painting for the last four or five presidents. 

us-presidents-poker-painting-grand-gang.

us-presidents-poker-panting.jpg

the-democratic-club-30x45-final.jpg

1*4kdKGezggMgU7W8eRhkVtg.jpeg

I see in the 3rd one - with Dem Presidents - he also has painted a female stepping forward in the near background.   Someday we will have a female president.  I wonder who that will be and if she is on the scene currently.  One would think that VP Harris, or former Gov Nikki Haley are the most likely to fill that spot.   But it was thought that Hillary would be the first and before that Elizabeth Dole was mentioned as a leading contender to be the first female president. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Why is Lincoln's back to the viewer? - he should be at the center of the conversation - eyes on him.

Well, clearly the artist's idea was to keep Trump as the focal point.  Whitest shirt.  Brightest light.  More of the others focusing on him than anyone else.  So, keeping that in mind, I have seen over the years where Republicans think Lincoln was actually a horrible President because he created a civil war fighting against state's rights.  (a view I find amazingly stupid).  But, the people I've seen argue that point would typically be BIG Trumpees.  So, it doesn't surprise me that, even though he is at the table Lincoln is marginalized the most and Trump is glorified.